Pacific coastal cruises California

lauren0309

It can be cold on sea days, not really much to see when sailing..... but it is beautiful when in port to see the SF & SD from your balcony, the lights in San Francisco are beautiful .....I would go inside(lido deck) or balcony.

Balcony...... advantage...... if you get up to late to view going under the golden gate..just can view it from the comfort of your balcony. It's a matter of seconds...so it might be difficult to make it up top.

Edited by land lover

Are they scenic? Trying to decide on a cabin. Window or balcony? Do you see land much of the cruise?

Not really scenic, except for San Francisco and San Deigo ports. Nothing to see between ports. Personal preference, we always book a book balcony. To us the sea itself is the beauty and serenity of any cruise.

As mentioned not much to see while under way. Depending on the month it could be cool. My thinking is what is the difference in price. Can you find a deal where the cost difference between the balcony or outside is small. Then I would go for the balcony. Always fun standing on your balcony as you are coming into port or leaving port.

Picture this......overnight in San Francisco ported under Coit tower near the warf......you wake up and open your drapes to a view of Alcatraz island, the Golden Gate bridge shrouded in fog but sunshine bursting out to this amazing site. In the evening the lights are amazing.....our cruise on Celebrity Infinity in Oct. 2017 was just this. If not for our balcony we'd not have experienced this.......imagine that piece of real estate ......you won't find a hotel room with a view like this......Monterey was almost as great.....Santa Barbara, Avalon or San Diego too.....just sayin.

Picture this......overnight in San Francisco ported under Coit tower near the warf......you wake up and open your drapes to a view of Alcatraz island, the Golden Gate bridge shrouded in fog but sunshine bursting out to this amazing site. In the evening the lights are amazing.....our cruise on Celebrity Infinity in Oct. 2017 was just this. If not for our balcony we'd not have experienced this.......imagine that piece of real estate ......you won't find a hotel room with a view like this......Monterey was almost as great.....Santa Barbara, Avalon or San Diego too.....just sayin.

Unfortunately, Princess is not offering the overnight anymore...only unless you are pushing X lol..However...we did get the experience when we could not leave at 11pm on a March 2016 or17 cruise due to high winds..so enjoyed a daylight departure under the bridge the following morning.

Loved your description.....an aft(stern) balcony is the best for the SF city view...

But the one you describe at least where Princess ports pier 27...is on the port side forward, high balcony....we had it at night April 2018. Thanks for the memory.......

Edited by land lover

Unfortunately, Princess is not offering the overnight anymore...only unless you are pushing X lol..However...we did get the experience when we could not leave at 11pm on a March 2016 or17 cruise due to high winds..so enjoyed a daylight departure under the bridge the following morning.

Royal next year has an overnight stay in SF,

I have found that it's too cold to be out on the balcony at the months Princess offers this itinerary.

May 4th through the 11th? Those are the 2019 sailing dates of the cruise TheRabbit mentioned above. I'm hoping for mostly nice weather.

Royal next year has an overnight stay in SF,

Which itinerary? I am recently booked a Classic California Coastal, November 9th, 2019 on Royal 7 day RT, SP, SF still 11pm.

Edit...thanks for the that info Becky,

However, I don't understand why Rabbit made that blanket statement without including the cruise date. As it is not sold as CA Coastal Cruise as it lands in Vancouver, doesn't it.? It is like wine country or something like that and it is one time, right so why even comment.

I wasted my time gng back & looking at the itinerary I booked....more info next time RABBIT....

But then I could have saved time not posting or reading this thread at all...enjoy cruising everyone......

Edited by land lover

Which itinerary? I am recently booked a Classic California Coastal, November 9th, 2019 on Royal 7 day RT, SP, SF still 11pm.

Edit...thanks for the that info Becky,

However, I don't understand why Rabbit made that blanket statement without including the cruise date. As it is not sold as CA Coastal Cruise as it lands in Vancouver, doesn't it.? It is like wine country or something like that and it is one time, right so why even comment.

I wasted my time gng back & looking at the itinerary I booked....more info next time RABBIT....

But then I could have saved time not posting or reading this thread at all...enjoy cruising everyone......

Sorry, was mainly commenting on the fact that there were cruises still doing an overnighter in SF. Yes, it is a re-positioning cruise. As indicated, 4th to 11th of May 2019

May 4th through the 11th? Those are the 2019 sailing dates of the cruise TheRabbit mentioned above. I'm hoping for mostly nice weather.

We have been on late April & found it chilly. We have "May gray" & "June gloom " here in CA, not the sunny Ca that people think it is.

We have been on late April & found it chilly. We have "May gray" & "June gloom " here in CA, not the sunny Ca that people think it is.

Yes, it can be gray and gloomy in SF , but no matter what the weather it is I always enjoy the city. Of course I might be a little prejudiced since I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life. :)

No matter what the May 4th cruise is called, I plan on enjoying my overnight in SF on the Royal !

Are they scenic? Trying to decide on a cabin. Window or balcony? Do you see land much of the cruise?

Book the window. Save your cash to spend in port. Better yet, book an inside guarantee and roll the dice for a real upgrade. Again, spend your savings in port or at specialty dining.

When Princess started doing these a few years back, they couldn't fill the ships...they were literally giving the cruises away for FREE.

We did a bunch of them with the cost of the cruise being credited towards the cost of another Princess cruise (less port charges).

That gimmick sure paid off for Princess because now they are some of Princess's most OVER-RATED and OVER-PRICED runs.

We recently did the Pacific Wine Cruise from LA to Vancouver. I switched to a starboard side balcony hoping we might get some nice views as we sailed up the coast. But, as others have said, we really had no special views while at sea and only the approaches to ports provided any sights. We also had rainy weather (a Pineapple Express set in) and actually missed the port of Astoria, Oregon because of it! However, even with the rain, we enjoyed the voyage.