Rome Transfers-Time tables- Are the stairs REALLY that bad?

Sunkissed Mommy

Not sure if your trip is still in the future but thought it best to mention that you shouldn't need to worry about left luggage at Termini. I've never come across a hotel in Rome that didn't allow you to store your luggage until check in time, in their luggage store.

And we've done the train trip with two kids multiple times. We tend to grab a taxi from Civitavecchia station direct to the ship which costs between 15 and 20 euros.

To those who have been to Civi station: did you see an elevator somewhere? I'm a wheelchair user, so it's critical for me. I really want to save money by taking the train, but of course, I want to avoid potential issues.

To those who have been to Civi station: did you see an elevator somewhere? I'm a wheelchair user, so it's critical for me. I really want to save money by taking the train, but of course, I want to avoid potential issues.

I don't believe there is an elevator in the Civitavecchia station. There has not been one in the past. Someone posted here about 6 months ago that there WAS an elevator, but when I queried them, they never responded. I was in Civi in June but didn't use the train this time as I had an included transfer. In the past, there was NO elevator.

I don't believe there is an elevator in the Civitavecchia station. There has not been one in the past. Someone posted here about 6 months ago that there WAS an elevator, but when I queried them, they never responded. I was in Civi in June but didn't use the train this time as I had an included transfer. In the past, there was NO elevator.

Thank you very much! I think I'll have to book a transfer then.

I cannot say about the civi station but there are elevators in many Italian rail stations since one aften has go under the tracks via subway passage to get to another track. We seldom bother with the elevator because we do not pack very much.

The real problem is that you will probably find that half of those elevators are not working at any given time. From our experinece this is binary, ie there is typically only one elevator, not several to choose from!. Not to mention that they are often poorly signed. The other issue is getting luggage on and off the train.

Best thing we ever did was switch to travelling with only a 20"/, 8 -9 kg carry on each. It has really made a difference over these past six years of frequent travel.

I haven't been there but found a resource as far as Civi and Rome accessibility

https://www.sagetraveling.com/accessible-cruise-ports-rome-civitavecchia-italy

There is an elevator that gives handicapped folks access to only Tracks 1 and 2. But this would normally handle all the trains to and from Rome. of course we are talking about Italy so there is no guarantee that the elevator is going to be working. The Trenitalia (Italian RR) offers a service they call "Sala Blu" and its open from about 6:30am to 9:30pm. Civitavecchia does theoretically offer this service and they will get to and from your train.

But there is a catch. You need to notify Sala Blu in advance and essentially make a reservation. Here is an English link to Sala Blu information:

http://www.rfi.it/rfi-en/For-persons-with-disability/Services-assistance-in-stations/Services-Assistance-in-Stations-for-persons-with-disabilities

I do not have first hand knowledge if Sala Blu actually delivers what it promises. But knowing Italy we have some doubts. So, if you are gambling man/lady give it a try :). Otherwise, consider using some kind of ground transfer service such as our favorite Romecabs.com.

One other caution. Once you arrive at the Civitavecchia train station you still need transportation to get to your ship. Taxis may or may not be available in which case you would have to wait for a taxi. There is bus transportation but it involves using 2 different buses and needing to transfer between. It can certainly be done, but might test your patience.

Hank

Yes, an elevator was installed for use by the disabled but I would do as Hank suggests and contact Sala Blu because you may need a staff member to operate it.

Thank you so much, everyone! I'll probably book a transfer because taking the train before the cruise seems a bit stressful. But all the info concerning the station is great, I might need to take the train to continue my trip after the cruise.

The port of Civi has a brochure and website which explains some things about getting to your cruise ship: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

When we were in Civi before, things were different. There's now a 2 euro bus that leaves (supposedly fairly frequently) from the Civi train station and goes to where everyone is now dropped off to get to their cruise ships (Largo della Pace). The trip is not long. Then shuttles take you to your ship.

We took the train to Civi almost 10 years ago. I don't remember the stairs at all, so I guess we managed OK. We were in our mid-50s then, and were NOT traveling light. Like others here, we've learned over the years that packing light is best - and doable with a little practice!

It's possible that you were on a train that arrived on the first track, so there was no need to cross tracks and therefore no need for stairs.

We've taken train from FCO to Civi a number of times. Only once was the elevator working at Trastevere transfer station. Stairs there are no issue if you don't have much luggage but otherwise it's a hassle coz while hubby is taking a suitcase upstairs, I watch 2nd bag at bottom but then you have to worry about bag sitting alone at top of stairs.

At Civi station you either do stairs or walk to end of platform where you can cross over tracks. Guess you're not supposed to but people do it. We have walked from train station to our hotel which is near port entrance at Largo della Pace. Takes about 25 min. with a brief rest. Depends if you're up for it. We have weren't able to find the shuttle bus last time. Think we're doing a shared shuttle transfer this time in October from FCO to Civi.

NJ

We are 68 and 71 and prefer the train. I guess it depends upon how much luggage you have. We travel light with just a carry on each and a personal bag. There is a public bus from the train station in Civitavecchia to the shuttle bus area where you board a bus to your ship. It is 2E each. You can also walk to the shuttle area. The shuttle to your ship is free. So taking the train with the local bus is about 15E for both of you. Save the other 135E for other stuff.

We are 68 and 71 and prefer the train. I guess it depends upon how much luggage you have. We travel light with just a carry on each and a personal bag. There is a public bus from the train station in Civitavecchia to the shuttle bus area where you board a bus to your ship. It is 2E each. You can also walk to the shuttle area. The shuttle to your ship is free. So taking the train with the local bus is about 15E for both of you. Save the other 135E for other stuff.

You're right, if you don't have much luggage, the train is the way to go. It's an interesting ride too - get to see more of the coastline/water as you get into Civi. If the elevators were always working, it would be no problem but most of the time they are not. Typical in Italy. Read on a post, someone said that instead of walking of the street to the cruise shuttles, you can enter thru the old port entrance gate & walk up inside terminal area too. Less people, sidewalk issues, etc.

NJ

If the elevators were always working, it would be no problem but most of the time they are not. Typical in Italy.

Unless you've made a study of this we can't say how regularly the elevator works or does not. In fact, odds are that it only works with a key so only an employee can operate it, this is not uncommon in European transit facilities. Traveling by rail and air with wheelchair bound family members I've found this to be the case in several places, we could only access the elevators with an employee.

Unless you've made a study of this we can't say how regularly the elevator works or does not. In fact, odds are that it only works with a key so only an employee can operate it, this is not uncommon in European transit facilities. Traveling by rail and air with wheelchair bound family members I've found this to be the case in several places, we could only access the elevators with an employee.

No study - this is only based on our personal experience & reading similar experiences on CC forum. That's interesting that an employee may be able to operate elevator in stations. Wonder if you found one, could you ask?

NJ

We have done the stairs several times, no problem, but we only take carry on. I also don't think walking to port is hard, but there are many taxi's and a bus I think. Also, do be careful with luggage on train. A friend of ours had hers taken off right in front of her as she was looking and running to stop them. As train was leaving a stop, someone jumped on, took her bag and was off, doors closed, train left. So, lock it or hold onto it.

I've read of people using a lock on their luggage on trains in Europe, but have some questions: Is it like a bike lock, inexpensive, put it through luggage handle and around something else? If so, what can you attach it to? Has anyone used one? I'll be taking a few trains in Italy and Spain and am debating whether to get one.

I've read of people using a lock on their luggage on trains in Europe, but have some questions: Is it like a bike lock, inexpensive, put it through luggage handle and around something else? If so, what can you attach it to? Has anyone used one? I'll be taking a few trains in Italy and Spain and am debating whether to get one.

First, let me say that I don't use these kinds of locks when I travel and I use the trains quite a bit in Italy (and last year at about this time in Spain). Yes, they are like the bicycle locks. Hlitner has posted links to the one he uses in various posts on this forum.

The trains have various types of luggage storage racks -- there is no one single configuration. But most of them have a pole or slat that you could use to secure your bag, assuming you get it onboard before all the space is taken.... For folks who have more than one bag, it would also be a bit of a deterrent even to lock the bags themselves together as it would be more difficult to grab and hustle them off quickly.

Here are a few photos of various types of luggage storage areas on Trenitalia trains:

168s.jpg

Italy-frecciarossa1000-lu.jpg

luggage-area-in-freccia-rossa-train.jpg

Here's one of the posts from Hank with a link to the type of lock he uses:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54124929&postcount=6

Here's one of the posts from Hank with a link to the type of lock he uses:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54124929&postcount=6

Thanks to Cruisemom for posting that :). As to what you attach it to, most of the time there will be a luggage rack at the end of each train car and I simply run the cable through the handles of all our luggage and around one of the luggage rack bars. Even when there is no luggage rack you can usually find something to wrap it around. Failing all that, having several pieces of heavy luggage connected makes it quite difficult for somebody to snatch and run. Some might say that we are a bit anal about all these precautions, but it has served us well over a half century of extensive travel.

There is a basic rule when it comes to thieves. Given a choice they will normally choose the easiest "marks" be it picking a pocket, snatching a purse, or snatching luggage. Making yourself a difficult mark goes a long way towards protecting your valuables. It is not a guarantee....but it really improves the odds in your favor. Another very important rule (often mentioned on CC) is to be always be aware of your surroundings. For example, when using an ATM shield your hand (with the other hand) when punching in your PIN so any hidden camera cannot possibly see your code. I also will have DW watch my back when withdrawing money. If you are alert you can often spot pickpockets...and DW has become very good at this over the years. Also, be especially alert if you decide to stop on a street and look at a tour book or map. When you are distracted that makes you an easy target. If doing such an activity I prefer to lean against a building (or wall) and have DW watching my back. That little thing was suggested to us by a retired Secret Service Agent (who we befriended on a River Cruise) who taught us quite a few little personal security tricks.

Hank

Thanks to Cruisemom for posting that :). As to what you attach it to, most of the time there will be a luggage rack at the end of each train car and I simply run the cable through the handles of all our luggage and around one of the luggage rack bars. Even when there is no luggage rack you can usually find something to wrap it around. Failing all that, having several pieces of heavy luggage connected makes it quite difficult for somebody to snatch and run. Some might say that we are a bit anal about all these precautions, but it has served us well over a half century of extensive travel.

There is a basic rule when it comes to thieves. Given a choice they will normally choose the easiest "marks" be it picking a pocket, snatching a purse, or snatching luggage. Making yourself a difficult mark goes a long way towards protecting your valuables. It is not a guarantee....but it really improves the odds in your favor. Another very important rule (often mentioned on CC) is to be always be aware of your surroundings. For example, when using an ATM shield your hand (with the other hand) when punching in your PIN so any hidden camera cannot possibly see your code. I also will have DW watch my back when withdrawing money. If you are alert you can often spot pickpockets...and DW has become very good at this over the years. Also, be especially alert if you decide to stop on a street and look at a tour book or map. When you are distracted that makes you an easy target. If doing such an activity I prefer to lean against a building (or wall) and have DW watching my back. That little thing was suggested to us by a retired Secret Service Agent (who we befriended on a River Cruise) who taught us quite a few little personal security tricks.

Hank

Great advice, as always, from you and cruisemom

To OP"

your statement "explore the area immediately around the station" seem to indicate that you are still in very early stage of your research.

Putting bluntly, Termini is overflowing with pickpocket rings which pry on novice tourists (not necessarily Americans but public transport experience deprived usually make soft targets)

Again, there is no muggings going on (at least not during daytime) but petty theft is rampant for novice travellers not used to Italy or public transport in general.

For 4 people, private transfer is cheaper than Airport train from FCO.

Even for two people it is worth it

a) not having to deal with pickpockest everywhere

b) not drag your bags (part of rome can be hilly)

c) direct to hotel door step service

Regarding, transfer to Cruise port after having stayed couple of days in rome

- You have overcome your jet lag

- Got used to surroundings

More reasonable to explore public transfer options But I just mentally add the cost of transfer to the cruise cost and prefer the safe and comfortable option

To OP"

your statement "explore the area immediately around the station" seem to indicate that you are still in very early stage of your research.

Putting bluntly, Termini is overflowing with pickpocket rings which pry on novice tourists (not necessarily Americans but public transport experience deprived usually make soft targets)

Again, there is no muggings going on (at least not during daytime) but petty theft is rampant for novice travellers not used to Italy or public transport in general.

For 4 people, private transfer is cheaper than Airport train from FCO.

Even for two people it is worth it

a) not having to deal with pickpockest everywhere

b) not drag your bags (part of rome can be hilly)

c) direct to hotel door step service

Regarding, transfer to Cruise port after having stayed couple of days in rome

- You have overcome your jet lag

- Got used to surroundings

More reasonable to explore public transfer options But I just mentally add the cost of transfer to the cruise cost and prefer the safe and comfortable option

Thanks. That’s a good point about jet lag and all. We may end up taking private transfers from the airport because the price isn’t so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thought you would never ask? Forty+ years of traveling in Europe has taught us to be very security conscious with our luggage and valuables. We own a small retractable luggage cable lock with a steel cable that extends several feet and is secured by a built in combination lock. When on a train, if we can keep the luggage with us that is a good thing. But many times you will have to leave it at the end of your car (many cars have a rack or area for this purpose). When we do that we run our cable through all our pieces of luggage and secure it to something on the train. Otherwise you would really need to keep an eye on your luggage....especially as it nears a station.

If you just go on Amazon and search for "Luggage Cable Lock" you will pull up lots of products. Ours is retractable and there is a similar one on Amazon, but there are plenty of other devices.

Hank

This is useful information. Thanks!:cool::cool: