Eateries in ports

BENHANDEL

We are not fans of Jamaica but have stopped there a few times.

Do not walk the streets.

Where you dock in Ocho Rios is right next to the Island Market. There are shops there and Margaritaville.

Sadly as a cruise passenger, you have missed the real Jamaica. Large cruise ships stop there because it’s convenient. I hope you will go there someday and experience Jamaica beyond the ports and excursions.

No, but my point was, don't discount them for a different meal that you would get at home.

Even different areas of the US have differences. In Hawaii you can get Portuguese sausage, rice and eggs for breakfast in McDs. Or ramen noodles for lunch/dinner.

Just letting people know.

Also a number of people have recommended Margaritaville, which is another American chain. :D

I certainly was not excluding other American chains from my comments. I would not consider any of them a recommendation for "local" food, whatever bows to local taste they may have incorporated into their menus.

I don't eat at those places at home, and wouldn't when I am traveling either unless I was truly desperate.

No, but my point was, don't discount them for a different meal that you would get at home.

Even different areas of the US have differences. In Hawaii you can get Portuguese sausage, rice and eggs for breakfast in McDs. Or ramen noodles for lunch/dinner.

Just letting people know.

Also a number of people have recommended Margaritaville, which is another American chain. :D

While you might find some different menu items in a place like McDonalds, we do not think it meets the criteria of decent "local food" mentioned by the OP. As to Margaritaville, there is nothing local about that venue unless you are visiting the one in Key West :).

Hank

I certainly was not excluding other American chains from my comments. I would not consider any of them a recommendation for "local" food, whatever bows to local taste they may have incorporated into their menus.

I don't eat at those places at home, and wouldn't when I am traveling either unless I was truly desperate.

+1. In 40 years of international travel I have (excluding the U.S.) eaten at American fast food joints twice when away from home. The last time was 25 years ago. Even though I had good reasons at the time I am still ashamed as anyone else should be who when in a foreign country scurries to a McDs or similar slop house instead of sampling local cuisine.

ask a local, anywhere that's not an American chain. Why anyone would go to a foreign country and go to Margaritaville, Hard Rock, Fat Tuesdays, or Senor Frogs is beyond me? Many times our shore best excursion are getting in a cab, doing a tour, taking him out to lunch at a local's place, and enjoy the local food and culture,

I agree with this a lot. We had a cruise sailing out of Rome and gave ourselves a little bit of time to see some sights before sailing out. We ended up getting turned around and couldn't find the Panthenon. We decided to just stop and take a rest and get some food and found ourselves at a small street cafe. Definitely not a tourist spot. We sat for about an hour and drank wine, snacked on antipasto platters and watched Rome go by. I know the area we were in was a touristy area, but there was no one standing outside trying to wave people in. This is a really cool memory I have that IMO will hold up to time better than lunch at Margaritaville.

+1. In 40 years of international travel I have (excluding the U.S.) eaten at American fast food joints twice when away from home. The last time was 25 years ago. Even though I had good reasons at the time I am still ashamed as anyone else should be who when in a foreign country scurries to a McDs or similar slop house instead of sampling local cuisine.

It depends on how long you are there. :D

As I have said, I have not been eating in American chain restaurants when traveling (only 142 countries so far). 3 times in 40 years (not including day trips to Mexico when we lived on the border).

But I have recently found out about the differences in the menus outside the US, and just wanted to point out, that eating at McDs outside the US is not the same as eating at the ones in the US.

You must be kidding. Crew members can certainly tell you where to find free WiFi (that is their priority) but when it comes to cuisine we have never found them a great source.

Hank

Actually, we have from some who have their favorite places to eat in ports when they have time off. :)

Edited by OCruisers

It depends on how long you are there. :D

As I have said, I have not been eating in American chain restaurants when traveling (only 142 countries so far). 3 times in 40 years (not including day trips to Mexico when we lived on the border).

But I have recently found out about the differences in the menus outside the US, and just wanted to point out, that eating at McDs outside the US is not the same as eating at the ones in the US.

One of my two experiences with fast food overseas was after arriving at my hotel late at night in a dodgy London neighborhood. McDs was the only eatery open late and along with the usual fare they offered a lamb burger meant I suppose for their non-beef eating Hindu customers. It was disgusting.

I've walked by McDs in dozens of countries and they all pretty much look the same. There might be minor variations in the menu but there is no mistaking what they are and why they are best avoided.

One of my two experiences with fast food overseas was after arriving at my hotel late at night in a dodgy London neighborhood. McDs was the only eatery open late and along with the usual fare they offered a lamb burger meant I suppose for their non-beef eating Hindu customers. It was disgusting.

I've walked by McDs in dozens of countries and they all pretty much look the same. There might be minor variations in the menu but there is no mistaking what they are and why they are best avoided.

I only ate in a McDs outside the US in 1983. A tour through China when you ate Chinese food, 3 meals a day for over 20 weeks. Most of the tour hit McDs in Hong Kong for lunch the first day we were there.

In Paraguay, McDs was advertising a burger with cheddar cheese and grilled onions on a brioche bun. In Brazil, there was a guacamole burger. I have seen other offerings in other places.

As I have mentioned before, in Trinidad, KFC has a more Carib bent.

Maybe not always, but there are variations.