Which is better? The ANTICIPATION or THE CRUISE?

UAL_FlyGal

Anticipating the cruise, not anticipating the 10+ hour flight in economy. 32 days out from the cruise and for that I am looking forward to a great trip.

Luckily I’ll only have a 2:30 hour flight. NY to Florida is quick. I have a cocktail and a nap and it’s time to get off. What ship are you sailing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The CRUISE!!!! The anticipation is more lengthy of course. It is also somewhat stressful (to me). I am a perfectionist. I do all of the research, planning, purchasing, holding of mail, etc etc etc. When we finally get on board, *I* can finally relax as my husband has for the many months that he trusts me to do everything needed to get us on board! I am a planner, list maker to a fault. My husband teases me that I know more about our cruise than the cruise director (I don't!). I like to know as much as possible so that when we board I know where things are, when they are and what they are. He would never admit it, but he does reap the benefit of my months and months of anticipation and planning. And since I am retired and he is not, I have the time to do it.

I can't decide!

However, I love love what I call 'cruise Christmas morning' where I wake up on embarkation day knowing I will be on the ship in a few hours and I am already in port.

Then seeing the ship is like seeing the presents on Christmas morning. Lovely!

My greatest moment is when we pull away from the dock at the very beginning...the anticipation has been tinged with worry about having everything; arriving on time; both of us being fit...and then the ship glides away and I am so thrilled that we've made it, and I cannot move from that spot for a long time...

The cruise, especially now that we've cruised quite a bit. Our latest cruise was booked far out (for us; we usually book about 2-3 months out) and it just seems too long until we cruise. Anticipation builds the closer we get to the cruise.

I will say that without anticipation I enjoy the cruise a whole lot less! Last year we had a cruise in September. Well, Mother Nature arrived. For a week I was wondering if we'd be able to get to Miami at all....if the Miami airport and cruiseport would be spared the storm, would our pre-cruise hotel be open...etc. And of course feeling compassion for others much more affected by the storm. We did end up getting to the cruise. Luckily our sail date was two days after the airport reopened and the storm had not made a direct hit on Miami. But before we actually got on board I was so worried that we would not be able to sail that I was afraid to hope and just took each day at a time.

When the cruise was over I felt like it was only half the experience it normally was....and that was true. I had been deprived of the pleasurable anticipation and without it a large part of the cruise enjoyment was missing.