What a difference a day makes!

Having sailed on Seabourn many times, previously on Odyssey and Soujourn we were looking forward to experiencing the newer larger ship

We have spent the past fourteen days sailing on Encore on two 7 day back to back cruises. Both very busy, as the ship was fully booked but it was typical Seabourn elegance. There were some children but all well behaved. The pool as usual, only standing room in the afternoon was fabulous during most of the day. We enjoyed the Colonnade and The Patio for both lunch and dinners. We love to sit on deck and enjoy al fresco dining. Never made it to the Dining room or Thomas Keller (always booked out)

We are now on the 10 day cruise from Barcelona to Monte Carlo.

Last night could not sit outside in the Colonade because a family group of 28 had taken it over and today in the pool on deck 9 counted over twenty teenagers in the pool, acting as kids act

I went down to Deck 5 to the plunge pool and there was a child in diapers in it with his parents...

Maybe because it is the first day of the cruise and maybe because it is Sunday in Valencia and everything is closed but I think the facilities on this larger ship seem to be inadequate for the number of guests, with the activities of the relatively small groups Impacting the usability of the facilities of the remaining guests.

Not optimistic about any change tomorrow as it is a day at sea

I think groups do change the dynamics of a cruise--especially when they move around the ship together--doing the same activities.

There are special swim diapers which are sanitary for a pool. Hopefully those are what the baby was wearing.

Many cruise lines do not permit any type of diapers, including swim diapers,to be worn in the ship's pools.

I don't know what Seabourn's policy is, but this should definitely be brought to the attention of crew.

Book a Med cruise during the summer and you are likely to encounter kids, kids, kids. But always remember it's not the kids' fault. It's their self serving, selfish parents who put their won needs above those of their kids that are to blame. If the parents in the family of 28 would act as responsible guardians they wouldn't allow that kind of behavior. This is why I would happily stay home instead of causing the Med in the summer.

Yes, we are not going to cruise the Med. in the summertime. We understand this concept! Also, it is too hot in the summertime in that area. We live in Dallas and know about heat. Don't need to go there when it is hot and likely to have large family groups with children.

Book a Med cruise during the summer and you are likely to encounter kids, kids, kids. But always remember it's not the kids' fault. It's their self serving, selfish parents who put their won needs above those of their kids that are to blame. If the parents in the family of 28 would act as responsible guardians they wouldn't allow that kind of behavior. This is why I would happily stay home instead of causing the Med in the summer.

I'm not even sure the kids enjoy it that much. They would probably be happier at a Club Med which is set up for them and offers age appropriate activities.

^ This! I don't touch the Med between June and August. Not only is the risk of encountering families high, but all the ports are swollen with tourists. I'd rather risk less than stellar weather than deal with the other.

Roxburgh--would you say early or late October. I've seen SB planning cruises for both. It does appear that there are few voyages in the Eastern Mediterranean during the early autumn in 2020. Possibly charters the rest of the time? I think it is the Odyssey in that area at that time.

Roxburgh--would you say early or late October. I've seen SB planning cruises for both. It does appear that there are few voyages in the Eastern Mediterranean during the early autumn in 2020. Possibly charters the rest of the time? I think it is the Odyssey in that area at that time.

Generally both work. Early October you will probably have better weather. We took one in late October (16 days) and probably had three rainy days in all. Weather is definitely cooler and there are a lot fewer tourists around.

Roxburgh, Thank you for that analysis. I don't mind a bit of rain as a trade off for not hot weather, fewer tourists and no large family groups. I just wondered if we were foolish to consider a late October (into early Nov.) cruise in that area. The sad thing is that this time of year is great for us in Texas (and at our farm).

Unfortunately as someone who is required to take annual leave in August this is a very depressing thread.

Departing next week for a 2 week Greek island cruise. Full acceptance that Santorini will be thronged and other places pretty busy. Been there in August in previous years.

Welcome that the cruise involves some of the small islands but completely unprepared for Seabourn being a cruise line for families and kids - even after copious reading of reviews from previous years.

So from looking forward to it, I am now dreading it.

There are always Viking Ocean cruises--no children under age 18.

Which may make them very attractive for future years.

Hoping that a 14 day cruise which will end just before the schools go back May put off parents.

Which may make them very attractive for future years.

Hoping that a 14 day cruise which will end just before the schools go back May put off parents.

Let us know how it goes. You are right that there is more chance of kids in a 7 day than in a 14 day cruise.

Let us know how it goes. You are right that there is more chance of kids in a 7 day than in a 14 day cruise.

Unless the cruise is also being sold split as two 7 day cruises.

Also interested to know how it goes.

I'm usually on SB at Christmas and there are usually a few kids on those cruises. Most problematic was one cruise with several sea days and 20+ bored kids under age 12 onboard.

Some children are fine on SB - the ones who are tweens or older and who are happy to make their own entertainment and ok to make conversation with adults at dinner. I was on a cruise with one of our CC posters several years ago. His young daughter was on board, clearly she was comfortable with the ambience on the ship, and fit in perfectly. I wasn't even aware of her presence on the ship until I read one of her father's posts about the cruise.

But Seabourn is not geared up for kids and so those who need a lot of organised group kid activities, or who have ill mannered parents who don't/won't control their kids, sorry but they are a problem.

Unless the cruise is also being sold split as two 7 day cruises.

Also interested to know how it goes.

I'm usually on SB at Christmas and there are usually a few kids on those cruises. Most problematic was one cruise with several sea days and 20+ bored kids under age 12 onboard.

Some children are fine on SB - the ones who are tweens or older and who are happy to make their own entertainment and ok to make conversation with adults at dinner. I was on a cruise with one of our CC posters several years ago. His young daughter was on board, clearly she was comfortable with the ambience on the ship, and fit in perfectly. I wasn't even aware of her presence on the ship until I read one of her father's posts about the cruise.

But Seabourn is not geared up for kids and so those who need a lot of organised group kid activities, or who have ill mannered parents who don't/won't control their kids, sorry but they are a problem.

I don’t think it was sold as two 7 days. Certainly was not obvious if it was.

One of the better things about cruises is that there is something for everyone - family lines with large ships with kids clubs, water slides etc. Ship within ships. Tall ships. Luxury ships. Party boats etc. The problems arise when people don’t read the script.

I will report back.

Unfortunately as someone who is required to take annual leave in August this is a very depressing thread.

Departing next week for a 2 week Greek island cruise. Full acceptance that Santorini will be thronged and other places pretty busy. Been there in August in previous years.

Welcome that the cruise involves some of the small islands but completely unprepared for Seabourn being a cruise line for families and kids - even after copious reading of reviews from previous years.

So from looking forward to it, I am now dreading it.

There are other places to cruise than the Med with netter weather and less appeal to parents with kids.