Cruises from NYC

Blondie0428

It will either be an old ship or an old ship with significant updates.

Carnival seems to favor keeping their brand new ships in the Caribbean and now for one ship west coast.

I certainly have no problem with the triumph, and will look at the itins and price........but we have sailed out of NYC three times and its all been NCL, and a couple times from NJ with RC a few years ago.

Nothing against CCL, obviously, but if the price/itin is similar its tough to cast a vote against Breakaway/Getaway or the like. Very nice ships. Embarkation sucks, thats the only downside with a ship that size.

I certainly have no problem with the triumph, and will look at the itins and price........but we have sailed out of NYC three times and its all been NCL, and a couple times from NJ with RC a few years ago.

Nothing against CCL, obviously, but if the price/itin is similar its tough to cast a vote against Breakaway/Getaway or the like. Very nice ships. Embarkation sucks, thats the only downside with a ship that size.

We have been on the Triumph several times over the years and liked it but it is getting rather old.

All things being equal we prefer to sail on newer ships.

I have sailed on NCL out of the NYC terminal multiple times and i like NCL embarkation process much much better then CCL process. On NCL, i noticed they use gangways for boarding (forward and aft) which reduces the crowding and makes the lines go quick. Carnival only has one gangway and due to that, it can get crowded and the boarding process is much slower.

we will find out maybe in January or February.

I wont be surprised if it is Carnival Victory ship after they sunshine that ship.

Just as Triumph and Victory started their inaugural seasons in NYC. While Carnival may not keep their new ships their very long, over the years they have been very good about giving New Yorkers the opportunity to sail on their newest ships without having to fly.

As others have stated, maybe NCL has done a better job on the new ship in New York front over the past 15 years, but RCL only recently put a new ship in New York, Celebrity has had the aged Summit in Bermuda runs for eons, and you don’t see new ships from Princess or Hal or MSC ever in NY.

So I don’t understand why some are saying Carnival is treating NY cruisers like second class cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have stated, maybe NCL has done a better job on the new ship in New York front over the past 15 years, but RCL only recently put a new ship in New York, Celebrity has had the aged Summit in Bermuda runs for eons, and you don’t see new ships from Princess or Hal or MSC ever in NY.

Princess has the Regal Princess doing the Canada/new England cruises in the fall out of the NYC. They use the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn, NY. The regal is a somewhat new ship, only about 5 years old

MSC Meraviglia is also doing Canada/New England cruises out of NYC during the fall. That ship is only a few years old

Rumor has it, NCL will be home porting their newest ship, Norwegian Encore out of NYC in a few years along with the Norwegian Bliss

There is a lot of chances to sail on the newest and greatest ships out of NYC. Yet i agree that Carnival choice of ship out of NYC is horrible.

I have sailed on NCL out of the NYC terminal multiple times and i like NCL embarkation process much much better then CCL process. On NCL, i noticed they use gangways for boarding (forward and aft) which reduces the crowding and makes the lines go quick. Carnival only has one gangway and due to that, it can get crowded and the boarding process is much slower.

This last time we were on Breakaway they only had one gangway for some reason, that was the real tough embarkation, with 4k ish passengers. Still convenient for us and an epic sail away, just not as smooth as Miami, etc.

Carnival certainly made a fortune off the Horizon this summer based upon sailing on it and constantly checking prices.

They have so many ships in the Caribbean year round that they can certainly afford to have a newer ship in NY for the summer with the price premium it can command for the NYC summer vacation time.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Horizon, but as our survey stated, we won’t sail on another ship without the Havana area.

I did read that the NCL Encore would be in NY summer 2020. Rumor has it that MSC Meraviglia will also be in NY in summer 2020. Royal/celebrity are also do for an upgrade. So Carnival better send something better than another revamp in 2020 if they want to compete.

It will either be an old ship or an old ship with significant updates.

Carnival seems to favor keeping their brand new ships in the Caribbean and now for one ship west coast.

I hope we get a few sailings on a new ship first like with Horizon if that’s the case.

I didn’t enjoy Norwegian’s food and I thought embarkation was terrible so I could very well favor Carnival even when the price is comparable BUT I’m not willing to sail really old ship.

I’m wondering if Sunrise will feel new enough and if they’re renovating the rooms. I am itching to book my next cruise but I don’t know if I trust that Sunrise is it.

I can’t truly judge RC since I haven’t tried them but vlogs make the energy seem dull in comparison to Carnival and Norwegian.

I hope we get a few sailings on a new ship first like with Horizon if that’s the case.

I didn’t enjoy Norwegian’s food and I thought embarkation was terrible so I could very well favor Carnival even when the price is comparable BUT I’m not willing to sail really old ship.

I’m wondering if Sunrise will feel new enough and if they’re renovating the rooms. I am itching to book my next cruise but I don’t know if I trust that Sunrise is it.

I can’t truly judge RC since I haven’t tried them but vlogs make the energy seem dull in comparison to Carnival and Norwegian.

CCL's next ship going direct to west coast so you would have to wait for their new class of ships to perhaps come to NY for a few cruises. That will be in a few years.

Carnival certainly made a fortune off the Horizon this summer based upon sailing on it and constantly checking prices.

They have so many ships in the Caribbean year round that they can certainly afford to have a newer ship in NY for the summer with the price premium it can command for the NYC summer vacation time.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Horizon, but as our survey stated, we won’t sail on another ship without the Havana area.

I did read that the NCL Encore would be in NY summer 2020. Rumor has it that MSC Meraviglia will also be in NY in summer 2020. Royal/celebrity are also do for an upgrade. So Carnival better send something better than another revamp in 2020 if they want to compete.

I think Carnival will survive even if they don’t follow your advice. If you want to sail in the Havana area on a Carnival ship again, you are going to have to sail out of Long Beach, Galveston, or Miami for the foreseeable future. The Vista class ships are the only ones thst have a top notch Havana area in my opinion.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I think Carnival will survive even if they don’t follow your advice. If you want to sail in the Havana area on a Carnival ship again, you are going to have to sail out of Long Beach, Galveston, or Miami for the foreseeable future. The Vista class ships are the only ones thst have a top notch Havana area in my opinion.

Just to confirm, they are the only ships currently out with Havana cabins. As mentioned, the Panorama will have them as well.

That’s unfortunate.

Do you guys plan on sailing Sunrise?

Probably not but nothing cast in stone.

Have sailed on the Triumph 2-3x before it moved to New Orleans and enjoyed it.

These days we mostly do Princess and lately European ones.

In general we prefer newer ships and not 20 year old ones.

Just to confirm, they are the only ships currently out with Havana cabins. As mentioned, the Panorama will have them as well.

I made the comment about Vista class ships in case someone sees that Sunshine has a Havana area and expects it to be similar to the Havana area on Vista class ships.

On a side note, I am disappointed Sunrise will not have a Havana Bar .

Probably not but nothing cast in stone.

Have sailed on the Triumph 2-3x before it moved to New Orleans and enjoyed it.

These days we mostly do Princess and lately European ones.

In general we prefer newer ships and not 20 year old ones.

That is a view on the Sunshine' date=' but a pretty narrow one. Much discussion on what gets redone on these overhauls and the vast majority of everything a cruiser would experience. Maybe of it had a Princess decal on the side it would be different? At any rate, if Europe is your choice, it will not be a funnel ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I made the comment about Vista class ships in case someone sees that Sunshine has a Havana area and expects it to be similar to the Havana area on Vista class ships.

On a side note, I am disappointed Sunrise will not have a Havana Bar .

I was as well. The logistics and the payback on that space maybe have been to much to do....

Sent from my iPad using Forums