Advice on How to Spend final 3 nights of 6 night land tour of Alaska

giladush

We are going on the Coral Princess Cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage. We will be sleeping outside of Denali for three nights after we finish the cruise. We plan to drive up the first day -- take the Tundra Wilderness Tour the second day and perhaps a shuttle to Wonder Lake the third day. We also plan to hike around the entrance on one of the days.

We still have three nights before we fly back home. Where would you go stay for the last three nights? Is it worthwhile to go back to the Kenai Peninsula for the finale? If so, would you sleep in Seward or somewhere else? I realize we are backtracking to get to Seward, but we wanted to rent a car from Anchorage and not immediately get back on the water after the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated!

After your Vancouver to Anchorage cruise (you mean to Seward cruise, then you'll get to Anchorage?), won't you be flying out of Anchorage rather than Seward?

It's a good idea to rent a car. After Denali, you can drive to Fairbanks. There are many things you can do at Fairbanks:

* Morris Thompson Cultural Center. Lots to see, including films and sometime cultural performances. Take a pic at the Antler's Arch outside.

* Drive 8 mi. north to see a section of the Alaska Pipeline.

* Drive 15 minutes east to North Pole. Mail a postcard from North Pole. Can do that at the Santa Claus House (where post cards to Santa, mailed from US, is processed)

* University of Alaska Fairbanks. On Wed., there's a free tour of the Geophysics Institute. Or museum of the north.

* Chenai river cruise, or just stroll round riverside

* Pioneer Park

and others

We get off the cruise in Whittier and go straight to Denali from there. I know Seward first could be logical -- but did not want to do more on the water right after the cruise and wanted to rent the car in Anchorage -- so we head from Cruise to Anchorage to Denali. After that we have 3 extra nights and days. Somehow Fairbanks did not seem worth the effort -- if we kept driving farther I thought it might be worth to backtrack to the Kenai Peninsula. Not that interested in Santa Claus and that seemed to me the main reason to go to Fairbanks.

Thanks for your answers!

I wouldn't bother with the overpriced Tundra Wilderness Tour. The shuttles travel the same roads and have the same view. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

With your three extra days: You could on down to Seward. If you don't want to drive that far, you could go from Denali to the Matansuka Glacier, overnight there and do a glacier hike the next day.

With your three extra days: You could on down to Seward. If you don't want to drive that far, you could go from Denali to the Matansuka Glacier, overnight there and do a glacier hike the next day.

AKStafford: Where do you suggest to spend the night that is fairly close to the Matanuska Glacier? Is Palmer the closest town? I will be doing a similar DOY driving trip next June.

AKStafford: Where do you suggest to spend the night that is fairly close to the Matanuska Glacier? Is Palmer the closest town? I will be doing a similar DOY driving trip next June.

Palmer is the closest town, but there's lodging available near the glacier:

http://tundrarosecabins.com/

https://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

http://sheepmountain.com/

Any of those three would be a great stay!

You have not interest in Whittier? In my opinion you are making the wrong assumptions with "being on the water"; Nothing is the "same". And you don't have a lot of time. Why are you taking the triple cost, TWT??? It doesn't even get to Eielson.

I wouldn't recommend Denali /Seward in a single day, having the overnight for Palmer, is of benefit. IF you have interests there? Talkeetna flights, Hatcher Pass, Matanuska? Or go back to Whittier and see PWS, Girdwood??? You need to determine- what you want to do, then that is superior for choosing the location where you should stay, vs picking somewhere random. .

When is the flight, late evening of day 6? Or do you have to be back in Anchorage night 5?

Thanks so much to all!!!

I love being on the water -- just was worried it would be too much driving for me to go back down to Kenai Peninsula. Thanks for the advice of the Tundra Tour. We took that one since we thought that 11 hours would be too much. Here is our plan : August1-8 Cruise. Immediately driving to Denali. Next day -- hike in morning if time and then Tundra Tour. August 10 -- Another day in Denali either Hiking or shuttle bus -- the long trip. August 11 - Denali hiking and back down. Stay overnight on way. Thinking now-- to do that in either Palmer or Girdwood. Kenai Peninsula on the 12th. Sleep in Seward or someplace else if people have better ideas. August 13th return by nightfall latest to Anchorage and sleep there. Fly out August 14th afternoon.

I do not love to drive so was worried if this is too much driving. On the other hand, would hate to miss Kenai Peninsula if people think that is a not to miss place compared to our other options. Whittier -- we can see on the day we disembark.

Thanks again -- all opinions welcome!

We get off the cruise in Whittier and go straight to Denali from there. I know Seward first could be logical -- but did not want to do more on the water right after the cruise and wanted to rent the car in Anchorage -- so we head from Cruise to Anchorage to Denali. After that we have 3 extra nights and days. Somehow Fairbanks did not seem worth the effort -- if we kept driving farther I thought it might be worth to backtrack to the Kenai Peninsula. Not that interested in Santa Claus and that seemed to me the main reason to go to Fairbanks.

It's a much longer driver from Whittlier to Denali. It's only 2 more hr from Denali to Fairbanks. Fairbanks is not about North Pole/Santa, that is just something for 45 min. or 1 hr if people want to add that on. There is much more to Fairbanks than the short list I provided. The drive between Denali to Fairbanks is also much more scenic than before Denali.

Also in Denali, as others have pointed out, there's no need to take bus tours. You can take the bus yourself. Parts are free (including going to Dog Kennel and dog sledding demo) and parts for a charge but well worth it.

We spent 10 days on land pre-cruise this June.

Having taken the bus all 92 miles to the very back of Denali and staying 2 nights at the Backcountry Lodge before taking their bus all 92 miles back out, to us, there’s no such thing as too much time in Denali. The Backcountry Lodge is not cheap but they also offer the “Backcountry Adventure” which takes you all 92 miles to the Lodge where you stop for lunch before turning around. It’s definitely a long day but those last 30 miles that most people don’t see were amazing as is the Lodge itself. There are also numerous stops for snacks, restrooms, visitors center, etc., and even hot beverages in travel mugs that become nice souvenirs.

I’d much rather spend more time farther inside the park than near the entrance (we also spent one day/night closer to the entrance). Could be personal preference though.

Feel free to check out my long trip review (link in signature) if you want. It has lots of pics of the Park & the Lodge. We did also spend 2 nights in Fairbanks & 2 nights in Seward so maybe those sections will help too. If we had to pick one or the other, we’d likely choose Seward for a Kenai Fjord Tour over Fairbanks but again, that could be personal preference. We really liked the town of Seward itself as well.

Happy decision making!

We board our cruise today and everybody's input is much appreciated. After reading the land portion of Mike's trip -- I see that she did a great job planning the trip!

I am changing our reservations based on everyone's advice -- so take my gratitude for taking the time to weigh in and making our plans much better!

Thanks so much to all!!!

I love being on the water -- just was worried it would be too much driving for me to go back down to Kenai Peninsula. Thanks for the advice of the Tundra Tour. We took that one since we thought that 11 hours would be too much. Here is our plan : August1-8 Cruise. Immediately driving to Denali. Next day -- hike in morning if time and then Tundra Tour. August 10 -- Another day in Denali either Hiking or shuttle bus -- the long trip. August 11 - Denali hiking and back down. Stay overnight on way. Thinking now-- to do that in either Palmer or Girdwood. Kenai Peninsula on the 12th. Sleep in Seward or someplace else if people have better ideas. August 13th return by nightfall latest to Anchorage and sleep there. Fly out August 14th afternoon.

I do not love to drive so was worried if this is too much driving. On the other hand, would hate to miss Kenai Peninsula if people think that is a not to miss place compared to our other options. Whittier -- we can see on the day we disembark.

Thanks again -- all opinions welcome!

Ok to be frank this is not the best plan. You don't have the facts of Denali and making wrong assumptions- the recommendation is for NO "Tundra" tour, and with your hiking claims, you need to make SHUTTLE bus reservations NOW - rare you can get walk up and can be gone for several days. at 7am 2 days prior reservations are available. Be certain to get 1 to Eielson and 1 to Wonder Lake. If I am "interpreting" your writing?

What are you going to Seward for?????? It's not the place to choose because others claim it's a "do not miss".

I'd rethink and take advantage of Whittier and skip Seward, since you write about the driving. Wonder PWS boat tour, overnight in Palmer etc. With your interest in hiking, why not glacier trekk at Matanuska??? Then spend your time in Denali. Returning to Anchorage for your flight home/

The major tour out of Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, which gets back in the evening. Kenai Fjords tours,, in the past had an 8am tour I recall??

Have at least a 2 hour window at the Anchorage airport.

We are going on the Coral Princess Cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage. We will be sleeping outside of Denali for three nights after we finish the cruise. We plan to drive up the first day -- take the Tundra Wilderness Tour the second day and perhaps a shuttle to Wonder Lake the third day. We also plan to hike around the entrance on one of the days.

We still have three nights before we fly back home. Where would you go stay for the last three nights? Is it worthwhile to go back to the Kenai Peninsula for the finale? If so, would you sleep in Seward or somewhere else? I realize we are backtracking to get to Seward, but we wanted to rent a car from Anchorage and not immediately get back on the water after the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated!

We found a wonderful Dinner Theater just outside Danali .

Budget Queen and others - thanks for your sound advice. I am a good example of bad planning and cryptic posting. So, thanks for your efforts on my behalf!!

Just to clear up - we booked a few things that forced our hand, but did manage to change one reservation based on people’s input. We already had arranged for a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage on day we disembark.

We drive to Denali already on Wednesday night. We are booked for an Airbnb thru Friday night.

Did change the tour to a shuttle to Wonder Lake. When I said hikes one day - I meant savage river and triple lakes trail. I did not mean hiking the mountain.

Going back down, I meant south to Anchorage.

I think we might follow your advice and end by driving back to Whittier for last night if we have the time. My husband is pushing for Seward, but I just can’t get excited about another 3 hours in the car at the end of the trip.

Thanks again!

Palmer is the closest town, but there's lodging available near the glacier:

http://tundrarosecabins.com/

https://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

http://sheepmountain.com/

Any of those three would be a great stay!

I stayed at homesteadcabins the night before we did a guided walk on Matanuska glacier. I loved the cabin and know that we could have stayed longer. We did eat at one of the nearby restaurants, but we could have taken food and used the full kitchen to cook ourselves without having to worry about restaurant opening hours. We didn't have time for Hatcher Pass and Independence mine on the way down from Denali, I know that this was a mistake.

If you are considering staying in Palmer, check out Snowgoose Pond Bed and Breakfast. Phenomenal experience, affordable too!! We paid $130 per night and the accommodations were 5 star. The breakfast was awesome as well, it will fill you up and you won't need to eat until dinner, that saves money and time! We went to Matanuska Glacier and Knik glacier while staying there. They are 10 minutes from Hatcher's Pass, I wish we would have had time to go there as well.