Immunizations for Egypt

barcrab

We didn't. Generally the CDC will tell you to get every vaccine possible, and not to eat anything. They are very cautious. I think if you read their website it's enough to make you never want to leave home! (Hyperbole)

But I don't get any special vaccines for anywhere we visit. I'm 50 and I don't have any medical conditions. And I grew up on a farm where I spent 18 years rolling around in every microbe possible, plus now I work in a hospital where the same is true.

If it worries you, or if you have a condition which might make those diseases more serious for you, it's a no-brainer to get the vaccines. Best to discuss your individual situation with your doctor.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The CDC recommends a Hep A and Typhoid shot for travel to Egypt. Do most travelers get the vaccines?[/

I did get Hep A while living in Egypt! I’m the only one who got sick, but my husband and 2 daughters were tested when we came home. They all were positive, but never got ill. This was in the 1980s.

I would get it if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that your family doctor may have no specific knowledge of travel medicine. If you have one nearby I would suggest a travel medicine clinic, but look carefully at what they propose to see if it fits your situation.

My clinic recommended Japanese Encephalitis vaccination for my Mekong cruise, but I looked at the risk factors and decided that I could do without it. I already had Hepatitis A & B vaccination from a trip to South Africa, but I updated my typhoid shots for SE Asia.

My son is an infectious disease physician, and he recommends my husband and I get all of the vaccines possible and keep them up to date. Thus we have had Hep A & B, typhoid, yellow fever, etc. If an immunization is available, we've had it. We tend to travel to some countries where many American's don't go. (We were in Egypt this past January.) My son currently works at a large university hospital, and has perhaps seen more than other ID physicians, and is thus overly cautious about vaccines.

• 3 weeks later...

An aside - we went to a commercial travel clinic several years ago prior to traveling in South America. Immunizations were costly. For our recent excursion to India, we visited the local county immunization clinic. Saved mucho dinero! If you’ve such a clinic, we recommend you check them out.

Don't skimp on getting all the jabs, their cost is only a fraction of the total vacation total.

Sad story, it is being reported that a healthly British couple have died at a 5 star report in Egypt on the Red Sea. The Egyptian authorities are doing a cover up job by saying the man died of a heart attack.

The wife worked for Thomas Cook, who have moved out over 300 guests, either to another hotel or have flown them home. This would not have happened for a heart attack.

Looks like it could have been foof poisoning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-45297626