Formal Nights

Do they still have formal nights on Carnival Magic or any Carnival ship for that matter? How formal is it? Suit and tie? Tux? Can we get away with just collared shirt and long pants for guys. Ladies a long skirt?

formal nights are now called elegant nights and what you described for men, long pants and collared shirts are more the norm for elegant nights.

Ladies don't need to get that dressed up either. Sun dresses, capris, etc.

Bill

You will see a few men in suits, a few more with jacket and tie, many more casual as Bill described.

A few Ladies will be in knee length cocktail dresses, some in sun dresses and some in capris and nice tops.

That said, I have seen a couple evening gowns and tuxes...but def not the norm.

It’s a case of dress in the level of “elegant “ that makes you happy.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

I just got off of the Conquest this weekend and was on the Magic last month. I am not sure if I saw a single jacket on either one. I know I didn't see any tuxes or anything. It was pretty much 100% jeans/khakis and polos for guys or a button up shirt at best.

We make a night of it and dress up. We do not care how others dress, we are on vacation for us, not anyone else. I don't want to send any energy on things I don't control or care about. We just want a relaxing vacation to forget about work for a week!

Wear what you want, happy sailing!!!!

Just got off Horizon. Wore dark jeans and a nice colored shirt. The ladies working the door never said anything. Very few ppl had suits, or even shirt and tie. As long as you look presentable, they don’t seem to care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We make a night of it and dress up. We do not care how others dress, we are on vacation for us, not anyone else. I don't want to send any energy on things I don't control or care about. We just want a relaxing vacation to forget about work for a week!

Wear what you want, happy sailing!!!!

I wish there was a like button because this is the best attitude.

What if we eat in one of the specialty restaurants on an elegant night. Do the same dress code guidelines apply.

The specialty restaruants are always just what you would normally wear for dinner in the MDR on normal nights.

The specialty restaruants are always just what you would normally wear for dinner in the MDR on normal nights.

On the Horizon on the 7/3 sailing they were not allowing shorts at all in the Steakhouse.

What if we eat in one of the specialty restaurants on an elegant night. Do the same dress code guidelines apply.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Just got off Horizon. Wore dark jeans and a nice colored shirt. The ladies working the door never said anything. Very few ppl had suits, or even shirt and tie. As long as you look presentable, they don’t seem to care.

What color was it?

Haven’t been on a cruise since 2009, but I plan to dress up for the elegant nights. I love it! I will wear a gown for the first and a nice black dress for the second. Hubby will wear a suit for first then probably ditch the jacket or tie for the second. My best friend and her hubby are planning to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they still have formal nights on Carnival Magic or any Carnival ship for that matter? How formal is it? Suit and tie? Tux? Can we get away with just collared shirt and long pants for guys. Ladies a long skirt?

Carnival is not very formal at all.

Collared shirt and long pants are well within the elegant night dress code, and Carnival seems to lean "less picky" than more so, so you will be fine. You will likely see some people dressed up a bit more, and a few dressed up a bit less. I typically wear a black button-down shirt and khakis. For packing reasons, my footwear consists of sneakers. My wife usually wears a summer dress or cocktail dress on elegant nights.

I leave for my cruise in 16 days, I plan to pack two cocktail dresses because I really enjoy the formal night. I don’t have much of a chance to get all dressed up at home, so we have fun with it here. Plus I always get pictures taken of us all dresses up too, and have treasured those for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Morning jimbo. Then in that case Carnival would be contradicting themselves .

For the record Bo, I thought turning people away who wore shorts to the Steakhouse was the right decision (you did not ask, but thought I would mention it).