Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

Great travel log!!...and I'm loving the pictures...everything is so green and lush! Amazing what rain can do !! LuAnn (from So Cal where it is hot, dry and on fire :( )
Thank you! When we left the UK it was pretty dry there as well, the cooler temperature has been welcome but not so sure about the rain....[emoji6] .

Lots of blue sky today [emoji4]4428ce27e999ad66322264a8284cc626.jpg
Alsun I have enjoyed reading this so much! Norway looks a lot like the South Island of New Zealand! You have inspired me to book my next cruise on Pursuit- I won't be sailing for some time but at least will have something to look forward to[emoji3]

Thank you!

Penny

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

We just passed Maud being towed home.

See info and link below

Maud, named for*Queen Maud of Norway, was a ship built for*Roald Amundsen*for his second expedition to the*Arctic. It has now been salvaged and is being returned to Norway for restoration and display in a purpose-built museum in Vollen in Asker Kommune on the west bank of the Oslo Fjord, where she was built and launched in 1916.

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/featured/unsinking-a-ship-maud-returns-home/

f3e9b52fc84c347fbe18b1fb5e7e499e.jpgcfbdd85994cee01715d222d47b7071aa.jpgc805e46a18ba89ee02defd056f710884.jpg

Just some quick photos before we head into Stavanger.

A seagull got lucky at breakfast time.

Stavanger harbour, such a narrow entrance!

Pretty white houses.

There was a new type of bacon for breakfast this morning so tried them out (all in light of research for this thread of course - I usuallly stick to the smoked fish)

Left to right: turkey, very crispy but tasteless; soft & crispy, yes it is both at the same time; and English bacon.

0e442e39a83cb98ac42e0f3a4399a31e.jpgad739fe4c34ae21260b5908406decdc6.jpgb2bfc83a79404e750faf58d9279aa37a.jpgf090579bf9a931ecab86464aaa5723ae.jpg4e1c76d3bb8f17b945475e0a9dfa9ec2.jpg

Alsun I have enjoyed reading this so much! Norway looks a lot like the South Island of New Zealand! You have inspired me to book my next cruise on Pursuit- I won't be sailing for some time but at least will have something to look forward to[emoji3]

Thank you!

Penny

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

A. has been to the South Island of New Zealand but unfortunately not to Doubtful and Dusky, but only to Milford Sound. He does think Norway is quite similar!

Hope you will enjoy your future Pursuit cruise. We still have a seaday ahead so let me know if you want to have a photo of a specific area which I might have missed.

(We don't really use the Den and also haven't used the Spa facilities etc - although I do know we have access to the Thalasso pool area - ie we don't really have photos of those but I can make some)

Alsun, thank you for doing this extensive blog, it must take quite a bit of dedication, especially when you are in your holiday mode :cool:

We are planning to be on Pursuit next April, so your insights are most helpful. Enjoy what's left of your cruise

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thread. Cannot wait now for our first Az cruise on Pursuit in November through the Panama canal.

You have just created a blast from the past for me by posting the insider today. Michael Quinn was at an Youth Theatre Company in Reading with my two daughters so got to know him fairly well then. Had followed him for a while, seems he has done very well in the business. Enjoy his performance tonight.

Thanks Alsun for taking the time to tell us about your cruise, brought back memories of our cruise to Norway last year, although I think we had a lot more rain!!

You must have read my mind because you've posted a copy of The Insider, I'd been wondering what activities were available each day. I love going to see the Guest Speakers, they can be really interesting.

Your Cruise may be coming to an end.... my clothes are on the bed ready to be packed to join Pursuit on Monday and then sailing away to' sunny' Iceland!!

Enjoy you last couple of days on Pursuit, look forward to hearing about your Chefs Table experience, we haven't booked yet, but are tempted.

Safe journey home.

Today our lunch will be at the Patio.

Btw, it is possible to bring food from the patio into Windows and vice versa.

Below photos of lunch and dinner menu

And a photo of the "other side of the " patio. Tables are set up for lunch/dinner here as well..

a8e8af8740aa275cc1a42205c4d9371c.jpgfd605aa3c1e0e50234041247cb599f42.jpg0f061139ad6acb621f1e16febba6d035.jpgac87c6069150a126a121b28620790247.jpgc58b90eb1d11b1a3d61efee40a24fefa.jpg70d18402e75cf927ac1e76478658fd49.jpg

Hadn't realised but there is also a "cravings" menu (on the other side of the lunch menu)

Food orders are taken at the patio. But therr is also a self serve salad bar and area for toppings and sides..3771ed24f46e9146953bd32057326861.jpg3c104deb38e9f287f18a5bb253041bd2.jpg71e760a3d03db41e4fad1c3497cf82b4.jpg

Our last port report! We're not counting Southampton as a port, as when we reach that, it will unfortunately mean that our cruise has come to an end.

But for now, Stavanger.

We didn't have any plans, it is quite a short stop - the shortest of the whole cruise, shout 4.5 hours, and we just wanted to visit the town and walk around. We are again lucky with the weather, a blue sky and quite a bit of sun. Still a bit cool, about 18 Celcius, perfect for a nice walk.

Stavanger is an interesting mix of old and new architecture. Again, I make so many photos, it is difficult to make a selection, but I have combined a few to give an impression.

Around the harbour there are lots of paving stones with foot prints of Nobel Laureates.

The harbour itself

A market, food and Norwegian knitwear

Lots of shops and interesting buildings.

The petroleum museum and next to it a very creative children's playground made from "oil rig waste/materials"

Also like the bike scheme stand, similar to "Boris bikes in London" 03c6f3700333df7872258228889f1b12.jpg3d1dd2dbecbee653a3b62783e73d98f3.jpgc4f6fd465a59d6735b84f35667c63197.jpgad40937d679744c0966f14cc771e1d59.jpg9233ecd2a288d3fef965a67325259292.jpg

We also visited Old Stavanager, with pretty narrow, winding, cobbled streets. White wooden houses, and lots of flowers and cute courtyards & gardens.

We visited a worker's cottage restored as it would have been in 1920 and enjoyed a freshly made waffel (with jam and sour cream).

Now watching the last people boarding before we embark.

They are welcomed back on board with a hot drink (depending on the weather there will be iced water and ice tea, or something hot like chicken consome, hot chocolate or hot ginger tea!)d13b19c5d7f8f1faee933ca8bb736b71.jpg7f12e49ec84f5e8ed7cfcb4626c93a0d.jpg4f04caa9a6a71c190a2b28f33b1cc704.jpg80dcf12b18decec49a773aa86d17b9fd.jpga76583742c83a505f7a5499b9c8a5fa1.jpg

Alsun, thank you for doing this extensive blog, it must take quite a bit of dedication, especially when you are in your holiday mode :cool:

We are planning to be on Pursuit next April, so your insights are most helpful. Enjoy what's left of your cruise

Thank you! I quite enjoyed doing it, and it will also be lovely for ourselves to read back later once we are home again.

Hope your April cruise will be as good as ours or even better!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thread. Cannot wait now for our first Az cruise on Pursuit in November through the Panama canal.

You have just created a blast from the past for me by posting the insider today. Michael Quinn was at an Youth Theatre Company in Reading with my two daughters so got to know him fairly well then. Had followed him for a while, seems he has done very well in the business. Enjoy his performance tonight.

What a coincidence!

Hope your first AZ cruise will be as good as ours, or even better. Panama canal will be amazing!

Thanks Alsun for taking the time to tell us about your cruise, brought back memories of our cruise to Norway last year, although I think we had a lot more rain!!

You must have read my mind because you've posted a copy of The Insider, I'd been wondering what activities were available each day. I love going to see the Guest Speakers, they can be really interesting.

Your Cruise may be coming to an end.... my clothes are on the bed ready to be packed to join Pursuit on Monday and then sailing away to' sunny' Iceland!!

Enjoy you last couple of days on Pursuit, look forward to hearing about your Chefs Table experience, we haven't booked yet, but are tempted.

Safe journey home.

Wish we could be with you on your cruise, it is sad ours is almost over. It seems like yours will be a wonderful itinerary.

There are still a few minor maiden issues that haven't been solved yet, but I heard yesterday that the binoculaurs have arrived (not in our room yet but for guests who asked for them), and hopefully the sun lounger pillows will also be waiting to be loaded. I actually tested out a sunbed today, and felt they were quite comfy without pillows.

We heard that this cruise didn't have an Indonesian rijst tafel buffet nor a Chocolate one, but it was not completely clear whether this had to do with it being a Maiden Voyage or whether it was decided not to hold those on this itinerary. We did have a lot of local fish brought on board so no complaints!

Any Norwegian strawberries or goat cheese brought on board?
There was some delicous goat cheese the other day but not sure if it was Norwegian.

I did hear a rumour re the strawberries but haven't seen any (yet).

Re The Patio, did you try the Greek Burger, my husband had that for lunch most days on Quest in July. I had it once and it was delicious - nicely cooked lamb burger with feta cheese crumbled on top.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had the salmon burger, and added some guacemole and sour cream to it!

We didn't really care for the bun itself - a standard hamburger bun - but enjoyed the fries instead.