Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

Your photos of the narrow, cobbled streets of Stavanger (with Pursuit at water's edge) are so appealing! I believe you may have sold us a future Norway cruise, if this lovely port is on the itinerary...
It was a pity we didn't have that much time in Stavanger as I would have liked to have done a fjord tour as well.

But the town itself is so pretty to walk around and it also has some nice shops. I liked it more than for example Haugesund or Kristiansand.

Someone asked about included wines earlier.

I made a few photos these last few days to give an impression.

To me the wines were fine, but nothing special, ie quaffable but equally forgettable.468cea3d03c1f9072f32ba1b91b79155.jpg

Captain Carl announced in his noon update (really like those ones) that - this afternoon - scones will be served by Thomas and Ryszard with freshly made jam from Norwegian strawberries and raspberries.

We have noticed that scones are starting to resemble British scones a bit more so we will definitely have to check them out.

Also during the Q&A we heard that there are currently just over 520 passengers on board (523 or 525 can't recall), the majority of which recurring (about 350).

Alsun . . . Thank you so much for your enlightening commentary and your fantastic pictures. We are on Journey's Norway and Midnight Sun cruise next July. Even though we are on a sister ship and there are differences in our itineraries, recapping your daily experiences was like living next year's cruise today.

Have a safe journey home.

Jerry

Thanks very much for your wonderful blog. After seeing her the day before, we were so disappointed not to be sailing on 1st August. Additionally, we’re about to head to Southampton to have dinner with friends from Lancashire who are there ready to board Pursuit tomorrow. Really rubbing salt into our wounds as we won’t be onboard till next March. [emoji57]

Incidentally, on Quest the ice cream in the buffet is in a special glass fronted freezer at the end of the dessert section. Presumably that’s something that hasn’t arrived yet on Pursuit, hence the storage over ice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scone update

We were misled about the jams! The available selection of jams were all Norwegian though, and more importantly, there was clotted cream!

Still don't look like a British scone but taste wise it is the best of the ones we had so far.

(And we will forgive Thomas and Ryszard for slicing them and they way the jam/cream was put on - due to popularity and lenght queue)5dcb03d8e0732b044cbd97b0801d568d.jpgab33696cd9c7f46abf98a7333e4e6320.jpgc29e9edc536f5516147f888a51209943.jpg

Thanks very much for your wonderful blog. After seeing her the day before, we were so disappointed not to be sailing on 1st August. Additionally, we’re about to head to Southampton to have dinner with friends from Lancashire who are there ready to board Pursuit tomorrow. Really rubbing salt into our wounds as we won’t be onboard till next March. [emoji57]

Incidentally, on Quest the ice cream in the buffet is in a special glass fronted freezer at the end of the dessert section. Presumably that’s something that hasn’t arrived yet on Pursuit, hence the storage over ice.

Hope your friends will have a as wonderful time as we had, or even better!

Re the ice freezer - it is likely that this is one of those Maiden issues. We were chatting with Sam from the art gallery and she told us that they were still waiting for some Dali sculptures for deck 4.

Btw, we really liked the art gallery, it was nice to have a look everybother day to see what new art was up, and to have a chat with Sam and Jason. They are both lovely people (and no pushy sales talks). They hope to offer some art enrichement lectures on future cruises (they didn't have the equipment yet) and I think those could be really interesting.

20180812_154431.thumb.jpg.6403e1be4e819aafc8d8353d3f6754b9.jpg

Journey's the same. I'm sure the intent is not to serve gelato on a bed of ice.

Right...I'd better post something about disembarking.

Strange and sad to realise that by this time tomorrow we will be back home in London.

But I know that others will have boarded Pursuit by then and will enjoy getting familiar with the ship.

I hope that this thread has given a taste of what to expect, both from Pursuit, from Azamara and it's amazing crew and from ports in Norway.

I really enjoyed sharing our holiday and writing this thread. Hopefully it also inspired others to start a Live thread as personally, I really enjoy reading those on Cruise Critic.

We still have a dinner (at Aqualina) ahead to report on, and I might also post some thoughts afterwards - once back home.

Also, I don't have an answer re the drinks service on Sunset Verandah before opening hours of Windows. The weather is not cooperating today to try it out, but I believe it is a matter of getting a drink from the pool deck. Hopefully someone on a future Pursuit cruise an answer rhat question.

But for now, re disembarking:

Basically we received a letter yesterday with our disembarking instructions.

Our main luggage will be tagged tonight (tags are provided) and we will put that outside our cabin before 23.00 for collection.

We will remember to not pack our passport etc, and to keep clothes for tomorrow!

Then tomorrow, as we are not relying on a transfer service to the airport, we can just walk off with our hand luggage any time between 7.30 and 9.00, collect our main luggage from the terminal and drive home (our car is parked at Southampton).

We will also visit guest relations to settle our account tonight. Won't be much, a Chef's Table and we bought a few photos.

Oh, and no more room service breakfast, room service is only available until 02.00 am, so breakfast will be at Windows buffet.

And the most important post: our wonderful team who looked after us!

Elro - Butler

Akilesh - Stateroom Attendant

Lourecin - Assistant Stateroom Attendant

They were fantastic. Always looking after us, making sure we were happy. They were cheerful, made time for a chat, took care of our room and made it spotlessly clean, answered questions and just pampered us completely.

As this is our first cruise, I was secretly hoping for a towel animal as I had read on CC that some cruise lines do this. I knew that Azamara doesn't do them, but one evening we happened to chat to the whole team and A mentioned that I had this (silly) wish.

The next day, two beautiful towel swans appeared! When asked who made them we were told it was a team effort, so of course we needed a photo taken with the swans & the team!

Also, Elro gaves us some of the best practical advice to get our bearings on board of Pursuit.

The carpet in the corridors don't have a pattern that shows easily which direction is aft or forward. But Elro said just to follow your nose, as all the food (restaurants) are located at the aft.

In addition it is good to know that if you use the stairs, you will always face aft when arriving at a floor.

8d9704471e9562e4db6ab6f946b8e653.jpg

Elro is a lovely butler, we had him in March on the Journey, I remember he said he was going to Pursuit.

This is it. The last night on board.

Suitcases are packed & out for collection. Favourite places on the ship have been revisited, people have been said goodbye to.

We had a last dinner at Aqualina, good as usual and desserts were actually better than our first visit.

A funny moment when the waitress brought a pen to sign off the bill, it (accidentally) happened to be a P&O pen - a leftover from Pursuit's former life (the Azamara pens are much nicer).

We went to listen to one more show/entertainment in the cabaret lounge and also spent some time listening to the Chilean trio.

I will write one more post - once we get back home, to sort of recap our experience and as a last post to end this thread.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoyed following this thread. It was a pleasure to share our experiences and I hope it has been helpful to give some insight to Pursuit, to Azamara and to this Norway itinerary.

Many thanks also to everyone who contributed to this thread. 541e62a36015d339b66a0a1498048213.jpg

Alsun,

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise. I've enjoyed the pictures, your narrative and seeing that what I most love about Azamara is happening on Pursuit.

Take care not to pack your disembarking clothes! I've heard some stories!

Glad you had such a bon voyage!

Melissa

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Your photos have been wonderful as have your day to day experiences. I hope I’ll have the opportunity to meet you on an Azamara cruise one day

More re Windows.

At lunch time there is a "toasted" sandwich station with a "sandwich of the day" but you can have choose your own fillings as well.

There is also usually a "carving" station for dinner (can't recall if it's also there at lunch time).

One last remark re Windows, I think I mentioned this already but this is also were it is possible to get your own hot drink 24/7. And where you can also find slices of lemon for your G&T!

4852a45c149e7972a490fe2142e1e26f.jpg

Alsun,

Yes there usually is a carving station at lunch in windows. It is good to take a plate there and let them cut you some roast or ham and take that carving to the sandwich station to make the sandwich. The carved stuff is much better than what is at the sandwich station.

What a jewel you have been for all of us following your post. I know it took time out from your vacation to do this and I think it is very unselfish of you to have done this for all of us that have enjoyed your post. I think you have been a good promoter for Azamara and they indeed should do something special for you on your next Azamara cruise. Captain Carl should have invited you to the Best of the Best as a special guest. Of course rules may have prevented it.

You have been the best promoter of Azamara that I have ever seen. I have only been on three Azamara cruises but would love for you to have had breakfast in the forward viewing suite.

Your photos were excellent. They must have been taken with a very good camera.

Thank you Alsun and others for sharing your wonderful experiences and great photos with us.

We are Corinne's (Cinnamon) friends from Lancashire, and after a good flight from Manchester and a spledid soaking ans a great get together in Southampton yesterday, we are ready and waiting ....the splendid Pursuit awaits us!!

Alsun,

Thanks for this amazing thread about the inaugural Pursuit cruise!

So nice of you to spend so much of your holiday time answering our questions & such great photos & we were all captivated by all the nice photos.

Can't wait for our cruise on Sept 29th!

Gary & Mo.

Perth, Australia.

Thank you Alsun and others for sharing your wonderful experiences and great photos with us.

We are Corinne's (Cinnamon) friends from Lancashire, and after a good flight from Manchester and a spledid soaking ans a great get together in Southampton yesterday, we are ready and waiting ....the splendid Pursuit awaits us!!

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Alsun,

Thanks for this amazing thread about the inaugural Pursuit cruise!

So nice of you to spend so much of your holiday time answering our questions & such great photos & we were all captivated by all the nice photos.

Can't wait for our cruise on Sept 29th!

Gary & Mo.

Perth, Australia.

It is a bit of a wait but if your cruise will be as amazing as ours, it will be worth it!

Your photos were excellent. They must have been taken with a very good camera.

Actually, all my photos have been taken with my phone - a Samsung Note 8.

I am very much a point & shoot person, don"t have the patience to fiddle with settings so always use the auto ones. I also don't apply filters or do any editing afterwards (maybe just a tiny crop or a layout to fit multiple photos together).

I think part of the trick is that I make many photos and choose the best one - and that's why I now have about 3500 (!!!) photos to sort through. Plus of course the subject itself (Norway) was pretty good to start with [emoji4]

Just arrived home, already miss the Pursuit.

Will write a recap post tomorrow, once we are a bit unpacked, sorted etc.

Alsun, thanks so much for your detailed reports. We are taking our first Azamara cruise on the Quest in two weeks and didn't know exactly what to expect. You've just added to our anticipation and optimism about Azamara considerably. I was especially impressed with the special delivery of the Earl Gray tea; I have a feeling that this upcoming cruise will set a new standard. Enjoyed every shared moment of your holiday! Excellent report!