Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

.I'm a little surprised that with the millions they spent on the ship, technical features like that weren't more of a priority.

Certain things aren't completed at dry dock, it's an on going process. For example the washing lines were not present in the showers on Quest for our sailing 09/09/16, even though they were on board. They just hadn't been fixed even though dry dock had taken place in April 2016.

Some photos from the White Night - luckily the weather permitted for it to be held outside.

Tomorrow sailing into Flam so not sure how internet connection will be.

Still problems using tapatalk for uploading photos..20180809_200522.thumb.jpg.60877ec95fc8ba3463fa07b0cd521208.jpg

20180809_201423.thumb.jpg.46e1faa5cfe5d21ad42e4aa5ba3062d3.jpg

20180809_183513.thumb.jpg.9173c9154edff746321219539f01dd78.jpg

20180809_183519.thumb.jpg.9d65510e955a6e8ea572af1b4c3a9098.jpg

20180809_184154.thumb.jpg.7b0a1233fefbcae8fa424d54269ccfdd.jpg

20180809_183546.thumb.jpg.cd597b698968f7544f99b00e18db86dd.jpg

20180809_184418.thumb.jpg.8097462cad16227bbfe110396f487935.jpg

20180809_192422.thumb.jpg.158532a5d273a940f7f305c5440cc854.jpg

Alsun: Wonderful review and terrific photos!

You mentioned in a previous post that Pursuit was using the old Adonia equipment which operates some of the technical features on board - such as the interactive televisions in the cabins, and possibly the internet/wifi. Since the television interactive feature doesn't work, that old equipment is apparently not up to snuff. Have you heard from anybody on board whether they are going to update the old equipment, and if so when? I'm a little surprised that with the millions they spent on the ship, technical features like that weren't more of a priority. I really do like to be able to review charges to my portfolio, order room service, and check out dining menus on the television from my cabin.

I

Don’t know the full story but I don’t think it was a priority to replace that equipment that was operational over work that was considerably more urgent. As the cable infrastructure is there it is a job that can done later, unfortunately I’m not sure of the timescale.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flam - rain

An early morning arrival at Flam.

Sailing up the Aurlandsfjord is pretty impressive, even on a cold and rainy day as today. The water is so smooth, and the mountains pass by - sometimes partly obscured by low clouds and mist to be revealed again some time later.

I went up early onto the deck to make some photos, and despite the rain, the views are pretty breathtaking. (And observe the docking - we did a full turn beforehand)

We are docked port side, so we are lucky that our room has a great view over Flam. Just sitting on our balcony, enjoying the view is enjoyable, the view changes all the time because of the clouds & mist, and we also saw the first train (Flamsbana) of today departing.

We will be on the mid morning train. We had booked tickets beforehand online, but as we are the only ship in port, I think it is probably still possible to walk up to the station and buy tickets for today's schedule.

We had also reserved bikes at Myrdal to potentially cycle back from Myrdal due to the rain we will take the train back instead. It is one of those steadily down pours, not bad enough to spoil the view, but heavily enough to get soaked through if we were to cycle. I do feel a bit sorry for those (and if I understood correctly this includes Captain Carl) who signed up for the Flam Railway & Hiking the Flam Valley excursion. Don't know how long the walking part of this tour is, but I do hope for them it will clear up.

Anyway, will try to post this, together with some photos of this morning, before we are heading into Flam ourselves.

Internet is not working (they did warn about this beforehand in the Insider) and I still can't upload photos via Tapatalk so am using CC app.

Photos random order20180810_065623.thumb.jpg.4325b85cbd8e2bd9aefa75e428c43202.jpg

20180810_063047.thumb.jpg.7417c437c37aaaeaa62eeb4c50fec612.jpg

20180810_064410.thumb.jpg.177d787478e0c1cc33726b8be294a93e.jpg

20180810_065212.thumb.jpg.fede091bcc3c3ebbc1af480a7ffca588.jpg

20180810_065923.thumb.jpg.1581efaed4c3d5801baaa8cb9b8f31c1.jpg

20180810_063946.thumb.jpg.1684a37d323913d0c77f8f1bd09e5c32.jpg

20180810_070242.thumb.jpg.03e857104c177ac1ffee330a67701d83.jpg

20180810_071515.thumb.jpg.ab9e560640dcb546e4dfbaabae822f9a.jpg

Flamsbana

Tapatalk seems to work in Flam itself but not on board of Pursuit, so quickly some photos from our train journey. We recommend sitting on the right hand side for both journeys (up to Myrdal and return)

The weather has cleared up a bit

Random order.

Some photos taken with window open, some through glass (windows need to be closed in tunnels and they are hard work to open!)e42f539333ca260f424f2d8471ee188a.jpgb07af214cb97972886281d3b6cec117a.jpgf4d8b7ae7781750a11c24dc81edbd9ea.jpg50f66349c5ade14c6b9163a9629b5328.jpg2beaf24c90f3ad363036bc285c591b29.jpg595aa510ac9f9d11aebb9e60393d1135.jpg

Wonderful photos and so atmospheric with the mist and rain. Brought back lovely memories. Did you see and hear the 'siren' singing on the rail journey? That was so funny.

Lynne:D

Yes, we did see & hear her. I think the 'siren' might actually be in one of the photos of the waterfall.

As said, I made so many photos, it is hard to choose which ones to share.

Despite the rain and mist it was still a breathtaking train journey, although I am glad we decided not to cycle back.

The train itself is pretty busy, there were a lot of groups boarding - but they do have a "lane system" in place in Flam. There is a lane for individual travellers, a lane for groups (with assigned carriages) and a lane for Azamara groups. As we had booked the train individually we were in the first lane, but we did notice an Azamara group and they had a carriage reserved for them. They got off before the top, I assume for their hike. We saw another big Azamara group when we came back.

Also, at Myrdal station, a lot of passengers came on from the Bergen train, as this route is part of the "Norway in a nutshell" route.

Luckily the weather has improved, and it has now stopped raining. We have had a quick lunch at Windows again and will be heading back into Flam shortly to have a look around the village itself.

Btw, I remarked at A. that the other reason why Windows works well for us - is that it is quick and easy. We usually come back pretty hungry from an excursion so it is convenient to go a buffet and not have to order a la carte (and have to wait). At some point post some more food photos.

(Tonight we actually have dinner booked again at Prime C. )

Thank you sooo much for all your hard work posting your experiences, feel as if I am there with you. Will be sorry when it comes to end as look forward to seeing what you are up to. Must say Norway is wonderful whatever the weather. The rain and mist just add to the atmosphere. Did a walk halfway down the train ride, weather changed and ended up walking down in almost a river along the path. Still you get wet you get dry. Enjoy your last few days. D

Look what we found today when we came back to our room!

As some of you may recall, we were not happy with the provided Earl Grey. Actually, not happy was a bit of an understatement, we found the Fields & Select brand absolutely disgusting, and have only been drinking the Bigelow Earl Grey tea which is sort of acceptable.

We did mention this to Thomas (F&B) and he offered to source an alternative for us like Twinings. Well...this was in Oslo, and although I did see Thomas several times since then, he hadn't come up with the goods yet...

Well today, he (and Robert) more than made up for this with a lovely display in our room!

A great example of the Amazing customer service we have experienced at Azamara!

Thank you Thomas and Robert!

e248278f58531ea39615b4c0dc76e3b7.jpg85b23a8916dd5225aefb575e9eb182a8.jpg

Look what we found today when we came back to our room!

As some of you may recall, we were not happy with the provided Earl Grey. Actually, not happy was a bit of an understatement, we found the Fields & Select brand absolutely disgusting, and have only been drinking the Bigelow Earl Grey tea which is sort of acceptable.

We did mention this to Thomas (F&B) and he offered to source an alternative for us like Twinings. Well...this was in Oslo, and although I did see Thomas several times since then, he hadn't come up with the goods yet...

Well today, he (and Robert) more than made up for this with a lovely display in our room!

A great example of the Amazing customer service we have experienced at Azamara!

Thank you Thomas and Robert!

e248278f58531ea39615b4c0dc76e3b7.jpg85b23a8916dd5225aefb575e9eb182a8.jpg

I knew they wouldn’t let you down Alsun, so glad you’re having an Azamazing time as well. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise, we too are having very wet weather today back in Blighty, just had a very wet drive along a river, formerly known as the M25 on the way to Gatwick!

Many thanks for your wonderful and informative postings from the Pursuit.

We were onboard for the LCV etc. event in Southampton last week but nothing can compare to the experience of actually being on the ship and enjoying a cruise.

Unfortunately our next booked cruise on the Pursuit is not until next March but our appetites are certainly whetted by your posts.

Thank you once again.

Beautiful sun rise whilst we are heading towards Stavanger - our last port of call...

I think watching the sun rise /going down, and the ever changing skies and scenery around us has been the highlight of this cruise for me. Just sitting on the balcony, being surrounded by beauty felt very peaceful.

Yesterday the wind picked up and the sea was a bit rougher whilst sailing out of the Fjord and over the North Sea. I had planned to post an update about the rest of our day, but felt it wiser not to be staring at a small screen as I can suffer from some motion sickness.

We have been very lucky this cruise, the sea has mainly been very smooth and calm. There have only been a few nights that we felt the ship "sway" and even then it was very minimal. We did choose a room midship on purpose, although on deck 8 - as that is were the club continent are located - and were happy with that location. (I will post on the cabin thread after we completed this cruise).

So, yesterday afternoon the rain returned pretty quickly, so we didn't spend that much time in Flam. There isn't that much to see either, the best sights are the Fjord itself and the nature around Flam, the village itself has a few shops - and restaurants, but it is nice to stroll around. It did feel a lot busier than for example Haugesund even though it is much smaller, but that is because there are a lot of tourists around! Even though we were the only ship in port, a lot of tourists arrive by bus, ferry or train.

I did go into the supermarket (I do like to visit supermarkets - food shops and get an idea of the local food etc) and bought some biscuits to take back home and share at work, but the prices are very high compared to the UK. Of course we knew beforehand that Norway is expensive, but 3 packets of biscuits for about GBP 10!!!.. I will have to tell my colleagues to treasure each mouthfull...

We went for dinner to Prime C again (and passed on the message from Procter to Nikolai - he said he remembered you from Aqualina in 2012??? - the memories of the crew is pretty amazing btw)

I am planning a big food post with lots of photos later - maybe during the last seaday if internet allows me to upload them or if not, will post once home.

Anyway, the food at Prime C was excellent again - especially the sirloin which we both had as our main. The only minor thing was that the steamed vegetables arrived lukewarm as they also did the other meal we had there. Cooked to perfection though. Only a minor issue compared to the quality of the food served.

We also had a nice chat with the Executive Chef - sorry I have now forgotten her name, Monica? - it can be found on the website - and she told us that there are still some hiccups to overcome but that they are working hard to reach the high level they want to offer.

After dinner we went to hear Jonathan Johnston playing in the Cabaret Lounge. He has an 18k Gold flute - and it was very shiny! We really enjoyed hearing him play and he is also very entertaining and it was a pity that there was only a small group attending. I hope he will be on more cruises and we would recommend going to listen to him.

To round off our evening we spent some time in the Living Room, chatting with other cruisers and listening to the Chilean Trio.

It was another lovely cruise day and it is sad to realise we are nearing the end of our cruise... But not yet!

aad33368c6968dcbbe5e51ce128f6e43.jpg

Thank you sooo much for all your hard work posting your experiences, feel as if I am there with you. Will be sorry when it comes to end as look forward to seeing what you are up to. Must say Norway is wonderful whatever the weather. The rain and mist just add to the atmosphere. Did a walk halfway down the train ride, weather changed and ended up walking down in almost a river along the path. Still you get wet you get dry. Enjoy your last few days. D
Thank you scorpio. I hadn't expected this thread to be so much viewed and I actually really enjoyed writing about and sharing our holiday. I am not a travel blogger (although I do have an instagram account - but that is under another name and mainly dedicated to food photos (#dosirakbento in case anyone is interested ) - but when I started to research cruising - I really enjoyed reading the live threads other cruises would post on CC so that is why I thought to start one as well for our Maiden Voyage.

I also thought it would be good to include practical info as again, I've found that helpful to read on CC. And it will be nice as well to be able to relive this cruise by reading my own thread again in future.

Might even do another thread on any future cruises......

I knew they wouldn’t let you down Alsun, so glad you’re having an Azamazing time as well. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise, we too are having very wet weather today back in Blighty, just had a very wet drive along a river, formerly known as the M25 on the way to Gatwick!
We heard about the weather! It will be such a shock to the system when we return as when we left is was pretty hot!

Azamara crew has been amazing! We knew they have a good reputation and we feel that they live up to that reputation.

Loved seeing Flam again! We were there on another cruise and did the portion of the Nutshell where you take boat, train and bus. Fabulous experience. Thank you much for these postings!
Those Nutshell itineraries do sound quite good!

Many thanks for your wonderful and informative postings from the Pursuit.

We were onboard for the LCV etc. event in Southampton last week but nothing can compare to the experience of actually being on the ship and enjoying a cruise.

Unfortunately our next booked cruise on the Pursuit is not until next March but our appetites are certainly whetted by your posts.

Thank you once again.

You're most welcome!

Enjoy your future Pursuit cruise and I do hope to post some more photos on these last few days.