How early do we need to disembark in Stockholm for 11:30 am flight?

We are booked on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas 10 day Baltic cruise next June. The ship docks in Stockholm for 24 hours on the last day of the cruise. I am researching flights to Copenhagen and home from Stockholm, which is turning into a full time job! I have learned that it is cheaper to fly out of Boston than Atlanta, so we will most likely use miles to get to/from Boston. The return flight I am looking at leaves Stockholm at 11:30 am, so how early do we need to get off the ship to make that flight? I assume we would have to take our own taxi since RC shuttle service probably doesn't leave early enough? How difficult will that be to arrange? I also realize we will have to handle our own luggage, which is not a problem. Since the ship will be docked in Stockholm, I don't think it should be a problem for us to leave the ship early, or will it? I looked at booking the flights on RC's website, but the earliest flight they have doesn't leave Stockholm until 12:40 pm, has a 3 hour layover in Paris and doesn't arrive back to Boston until 8:15 pm.. instead of the 4:45 arrival I am looking at. so I don't want to make an already long trip even longer.... But I don't want to miss our flight either... Any suggestions from more experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by puppymama1

We are booked on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas 10 day Baltic cruise next June. The ship docks in Stockholm for 24 hours on the last day of the cruise. I am researching flights to Copenhagen and home from Stockholm, which is turning into a full time job! I have learned that it is cheaper to fly out of Boston than Atlanta, so we will most likely use miles to get to/from Boston. The return flight I am looking at leaves Stockholm at 11:30 am, so how early do we need to get off the ship to make that flight? I assume we would have to take our own taxi since RC shuttle service probably doesn't leave early enough? How difficult will that be to arrange? I also realize we will have to handle our own luggage, which is not a problem. Since the ship will be docked in Stockholm, I don't think it should be a problem for us to leave the ship early, or will it? I looked at booking the flights on RC's website, but the earliest flight they have doesn't leave Stockholm until 12:40 pm, has a 3 hour layover in Paris and doesn't arrive back to Boston until 8:15 pm.. instead of the 4:45 arrival I am looking at. so I don't want to make an already long trip even longer.... But I don't want to miss our flight either... Any suggestions from more experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You would need to find out which port you will be docking in Stockholm as one is quite a long way from the city! I think you'll be cutting it very fine either way as flight check-in will be at least 2 hours before the flight.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

According to RC website... this is the port they use:

Stockholm Freeport Cruise Terminal

Frihamnen Berth 638

Stockholm, Sweden

Since the ship will be docked there the day before, it's not like we have to wait for the ship to arrive the morning we want to disembark.. so as long as they will let us off the ship, we can leave as early as necessary...

According to RC website... this is the port they use:

Stockholm Freeport Cruise Terminal

Frihamnen Berth 638

Stockholm, Sweden

Since the ship will be docked there the day before, it's not like we have to wait for the ship to arrive the morning we want to disembark.. so as long as they will let us off the ship, we can leave as early as necessary...

That's definitely the port closest to the city. I'm not sure how far away the Airport is from the city. I suppose if you get off as soon as you can - at least 8am and get a taxi you should make check-in.

We live in New Zealand and our flights to Europe can take 24-30 hours so we always have a day before and a day after the tour or cruise before flying to reduce stress!

You would need to find out which port you will be docking in Stockholm as one is quite a long way from the city! I think you'll be cutting it very fine either way as flight check-in will be at least 2 hours before the flight.

Not necessarily for a CDG flight - does depend on airline.

The answer will depend on week day, time of the day as well as airline. Assuming Air France - you should aim to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight's departure, however 1 hours in Arlanda should be sufficient - driving is 30 to 45 minutes.

Personally I would plan for a 8:30 departure by taxi - pre-book taxi at a fixed prices of between SEK 450-500

I have very often been flying out of ARN - afternoon flights can be a challenge due to traffic - morning and noon traffic normally not causing problems.

AFAIK ,if you are only going as far as Amsterdam, 90 minutes is plenty of time at the airport. Taxi is 35 minutes. Best to prebook. When we left from Arlanda to Frankfurt, we almost missed the flight because they switched gates from one end of the terminal to the other and we were unaware .

The flight would be on June 30, 2019 which I believe is a Sunday morning. Not sure which airline yet, but the one I am looking at is KLM to Amsterdam that leaves Stockholm at 11:30.

Shouldn’t be a problem a Sunday morning. I would go for an 11:30 flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m using App from the taxi company. You can also book at the web or by phone.

At this site there are links to the three major taxi companies in Stockholm:

https://www.visitstockholm.com/good-to-know/taxi/

https://www.visitstockholm.com/good-to-know/taxi/

Just as heads up Taxi 020 is now called Sverigetaxi.

Since I will be in the minority here, I would say, since it is only a matter of a few hours, why put all the stress on yourself while on vacation and, just do the later flight?

I understand people want to get home as quickly as possible, and maybe it is because we are older now and don't see the need for more stress,-- wondering if the taxi will be there, if there is traffic, an accident on the road, bad weather whatever. It is only a few hours difference so why not just relax and put all the stress away. You are already stressed out by asking the original question.

Cheers

Len

Sort of minority. Unfortunately, sometimes one need to ‘rush’ back home. I have several time been in a similar situation due to other commitments- not alway easy just to add another day after the cruise. I alway travel at least the day before the cruise and preferably more.

I always make some sort of risk assessment in such situation and does have a ‘Plan B’.

Booking with one of the major Taxi companies in Stockholm the taxi will be on time and a Sunday morning even an accident at the highway from Central Stockholm to Arlanda Airport it should be fine. Taxi driver will know the alternative routes.

In this situation I will not even consider it risky or stressful. Ship arrival the day before and plenty of time for an 11:30 flight.

Sort of minority. Unfortunately, sometimes one need to ‘rush’ back home. I have several time been in a similar situation due to other commitments- not alway easy just to add another day after the cruise. I alway travel at least the day before the cruise and preferably more.

I always make some sort of risk assessment in such situation and does have a ‘Plan B’.

Booking with one of the major Taxi companies in Stockholm the taxi will be on time and a Sunday morning even an accident at the highway from Central Stockholm to Arlanda Airport it should be fine. Taxi driver will know the alternative routes.

In this situation I will not even consider it risky or stressful. Ship arrival the day before and plenty of time for an 11:30 flight.

If that's your thing, great. I was just offering what I thought was an alternative. No harm, no foul.

Cheers

Len

We ended up changing to fly out of JFK in New York instead of Atlanta since the fare was a lot cheaper, so now we are booked on the 12:40 flight home instead of the 11:30 flight, so we can use RC transfers and not worry about it. Thanks!