Not the "Unlimited Beverage" Package anymore

Maya1234

Would you mind posting specific details? I’ve yet to come across a Haven room that’s even close price wise to the YC on he Seaside. Also, Seaside is a few months old and the Getaway I believe is 4-5 years old. Compare the Seaside to the Bliss if you want a more accurate comparison.

Don't expect details. It's not true. And if you get examples, they will be fringe examples. Like comparing Star Class to Haven, even though Haven is more similar to Sky Class. Or factoring a beverage package on a 15 day sailing.

NCL absolutely bakes the cost in. This comes up on several threads now, and nobody is showing an example of typical 7 day cruises where NCL hasn't clearly baked in the cost of the beverage package. I haven't seen it. In fact, I'd LOVE for someone to show some examples so we can get an idea of what type of sailings (destination, time of year, etc) when NCL is actually competitive. It would be helpful.

But as an example, I have a Carnival cruise booked for next summer. I compared a similar NCL (same ports, itinerary, dates, and similar ship age/size) and even after buying the drink package, FTTF, and unlimited WiFi, the Carnival cruise is not only 1 day longer (8 vs 7) but still $750 cheaper. This is a recurring theme.

To be clear, when factoring in drink packages on certain sailings, you can sometimes come out ahead on NCL. But the base fare is so far off that it's very clear that the price of the perks is built in to the base fare.

Would you mind posting specific details? I’ve yet to come across a Haven room that’s even close price wise to the YC on he Seaside. Also, Seaside is a few months old and the Getaway I believe is 4-5 years old. Compare the Seaside to the Bliss if you want a more accurate comparison.

Be happy to.....Just booked this so here are the details.

Cruising in the Caribbean for 7 nights first or 2nd week of Sept.

I actually looked at RCCL, CCL (which was less expensive but I’m not quite ready to jump back into a Carnival Cruise just quite yet), NCL and MSC.

I’m “Black” status on MSC via a status match.

I’m Platinum with NCL (as well as RCCL, but that’s a lower tier for them vs NCL)

Tried to get the dates as close as possible. This is through my on-line TA (who I’ve used for years).

MSC Seaside (Divina was not available for the dates I was looking)...

-Balcony YC Fare (including all fees, tips, service charges, etc) -$4,287

-one specialty dinner (Black status perk)

- drink package

-$350 OBC

NCL Getaway (Bliss is in Alaska, which I looked at, but Haven was sold out and flights were significantly higher for me to meet the ship).

-Haven Balcony Suite (including all fees, tips, service charges, etc)-$4,483

-UBP (my alcoholic drinks)

-SDP (3 Sepcialty dinners)

-250 minutes of internet

-$50/port excursion credit

-$1,015 in OBC

So, while the fare is a couple of hundred higher for the Getaway, the OBC, the SDP, and the other perks more than make up for it. Cabins are similar. Seaside sails on Sept 8, which the Getatway sails in Sept 9.

Black status is the highest you can go with MSC. Platinum with NCL is not the highest. Platinum+ is higher, but doesn’t add much of substance to the perks already available for Platinum. Ambassador is above Platiunum+. I’ll probably never reach that status as I don’t sail NCL exclusively.

My TA gives me as much OBC as they can to book with them. That usually includes the commission they would normally pay one of their consultants to book the cruise for me. As it is, I book everything myself through their WEB site with no need for an agent’s assistance.

Apparently, they can’t offer as much OBC on MSC. Not sure why.

Plus, I get $100 of OBC for being Platinum. I get no extra OBC from MSC for being Black Status.

Hope that helps!

Edited by graphicguy

Here's a real life example of NCL pricing themselves out.

I was looking at a 7 day (from LA) for late 2019. These used to be $700-$1000 (balcony) and many Carnival sailings still are, but I don't like Carnival as much so my preffered choices are Celebrity and NCL. The Joy starts at $1600-$1900 for a balcony with booze and dining depending on the sailing. I can do an Aqua Class on the Celebrity Eclipse with booze, gratuities and OBC for $1500. Less crowded ship, better food and no additional gratuities on the packages.

Total cost of the celebrity cruise in Aqua class is $3400, includes booze, grats, $250 OBC and it has it's own high end dining room. Plus some spa access. Probably wouldn't spend another nickel on this one.

Total Cost on the new Carnival Panorama (cloud 9 spa balcony) $2700, not much included except the spa and $200 OBC. Booze would be extra (normally about $700 for me and the wife on a 7 day) So the total would be similar to the Celebrity but we get more on that one plus way better food.

Total cost on NCL Joy (mid ship Mini Suite which is the best match to the other 2) $4100 total (includes booze, 3 night dining and $150 OBC).

Total cost on Princess (premium balcony) $3050, includes the premier beverage package, and $150 OBC.

The clear winner value wise is the Celebrity Cruise and the Eclipse is a beautiful ship that never feels crowded. We will probably book the Carnival just because it's a new ship. Also, we can nearly book an Oceana cruise for the NCL price, it's only $300 more to sail Oceana in a Balcony but we've no desire to enter the country club lifestyle of Oceana;p

Be happy to.....Just booked this so here are the details.

Cruising in the Caribbean for 7 nights first or 2nd week of Sept.

I actually looked at RCCL, CCL (which was less expensive but I’m not quite ready to jump back into a Carnival Cruise just quite yet), NCL and MSC.

I’m “Black” status on MSC via a status match.

I’m Platinum with NCL (as well as RCCL, but that’s a lower tier for them vs NCL)

Tried to get the dates as close as possible. This is through my on-line TA (who I’ve used for years).

MSC Seaside (Divina was not available for the dates I was looking)...

-Balcony YC Fare (including all fees, tips, service charges, etc) -$4,287

-one specialty dinner (Black status perk)

- drink package

-$350 OBC

NCL Getaway (Bliss is in Alaska, which I looked at, but Haven was sold out and flights were significantly higher for me to meet the ship).

-Haven Balcony Suite (including all fees, tips, service charges, etc)-$4,483

-UBP (my alcoholic drinks)

-SDP (3 Sepcialty dinners)

-250 minutes of internet

-$50/port excursion credit

-$1,015 in OBC

So, while the fare is a couple of hundred higher for the Getaway, the OBC, the SDP, and the other perks more than make up for it. Cabins are similar. Seaside sails on Sept 8, which the Getatway sails in Sept 9.

Black status is the highest you can go with MSC. Platinum with NCL is not the highest. Platinum+ is higher, but doesn’t add much of substance to the perks already available for Platinum. Ambassador is above Platiunum+. I’ll probably never reach that status as I don’t sail NCL exclusively.

My TA gives me as much OBC as they can to book with them. That usually includes the commission they would normally pay one of their consultants to book the cruise for me. As it is, I book everything myself through their WEB site with no need for an agent’s assistance.

Apparently, they can’t offer as much OBC on MSC. Not sure why.

Plus, I get $100 of OBC for being Platinum. I get no extra OBC from MSC for being Black Status.

Hope that helps!

Lol, you're comparing per person on NCL vs Total fare on MSC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I was looking at a 7 day (from LA) for late 2019. These used to be $700-$1000 (balcony) and many Carnival sailings still are, but I don't like Carnival as much so my preffered choices are Celebrity and NCL. The Joy starts at $1600-$1900 for a balcony with booze and dining depending on the sailing. I can do an Aqua Class on the Celebrity Eclipse with booze, gratuities and OBC for $1500. Less crowded ship, better food and no additional gratuities on the packages.

Total cost of the celebrity cruise in Aqua class is $3400, includes booze, grats, $250 OBC and it has it's own high end dining room. Plus some spa access. Probably wouldn't spend another nickel on this one.

Total Cost on the new Carnival Panorama (cloud 9 spa balcony) $2700, not much included except the spa and $200 OBC. Booze would be extra (normally about $700 for me and the wife on a 7 day) So the total would be similar to the Celebrity but we get more on that one plus way better food.

Total cost on NCL Joy (mid ship Mini Suite which is the best match to the other 2) $4100 total (includes booze, 3 night dining and $150 OBC).

Total cost on Princess (premium balcony) $3050, includes the premier beverage package, and $150 OBC.

The clear winner value wise is the Celebrity Cruise and the Eclipse is a beautiful ship that never feels crowded. We will probably book the Carnival just because it's a new ship. Also, we can nearly book an Oceana cruise for the NCL price, it's only $300 more to sail Oceana in a Balcony but we've no desire to enter the country club lifestyle of Oceana;p

Now that, I understand. You do the same kind of shopping I do for a cruise. I pick a date and itinerary and start looking around. Any given date, any given cruise line, any given itinerary, there's going to be a wide delta in perks and pricing. I'm not so certain these days if there's a huge advantage in booking really early, either. Seems the last year or so, I'm able to find some really good deals inside the 90-day window of sailing.

Nothing against Carnival, but I have to be in the right mindset to sail them. Their vibe is way different than that of any of the other cruise lines. That's not a bad thing. Just something I have to prepare myself for.

One thing I've found regarding NCL, RCCL and Celebrity, the new ships always seem to command a premium. That's why I usually wait. For a couple hundred more on NCL ($4,100 for a mid ship mini-suite), you can book the Haven. That's a HUGE step up in the cruise experience for any of these lines.

I'll wait for the Bliss, Symphony, etc sailings to get some wind in their sails before looking at them. I would imagine the Joy will be on the high side for a little while since it's the newest NCL ship.

Happy sailing!

One thing I've found regarding NCL, RCCL and Celebrity, the new ships always seem to command a premium. That's why I usually wait. For a couple hundred more on NCL ($4,100 for a mid ship mini-suite), you can book the Haven. That's a HUGE step up in the cruise experience for any of these lines.

I'll wait for the Bliss, Symphony, etc sailings to get some wind in their sails before looking at them. I would imagine the Joy will be on the high side for a little while since it's the newest NCL ship.

Happy sailing!

I wish I could book the Haven for a little more. On those Joy sailings from LA the Haven (H8) is like $5000 per person. I'm betting the prices will crater on the LA sailings next year. There are a lot of ships moving here all doing the same itineraries. Once the novelty of these new ships wears off I doubt this market can support those prices. I just did a 12 day Australia cruise on Celebrity with tons of "free" perks for not much more than these 7 day west coast cruises I'm looking at. NCL's prices are getting silly (and so are Celebrities on some sailings).

Edited by TFLG

Thanks! Great example. This does seem to be the "norm" for typical cruises. I'm actually really curious when NCL is more competitive.

graphicguy pointed out he's sailing in Sept, which is just 1 month away and well after final payment. Looking at Getaway vs. Allure, the prices are almost identical with the NCL beverage package giving them a clear edge price wise. Maybe NCL is more aggressive with last minute pricing?

So I dug in a little more. Allure in Sept 2018 and Sept 2019 are about identical in pricing. But NCL is HALF price Sept 2018 vs 2019 (had to use Breakaway in 2019 for similar port/duration comparison) $399 vs $799. Which would imply NCL has more trouble filling their ships and does very aggressive last minute deals.

This is good to know, if we are looking at a last minute cruise, I would probably price out NCL in the future. Of course, we are trying to talk about typical cruise pricing and not fringe examples like last minute bookings. But this is good information still.

After going through this entire thread I really wonder how many of these posters just want to bash NCL amd really don't care about the the issue is. That being said let us all understand one thing, ALL companies that offer perks bake the cost into their price. Whether it is OBC, free shipping from a store or the great value of BOGO. No one gives things away for free or they would be out of business fast. Why complain about the "retail" cost of the UPB/UOB since next to no one actually purchases it? To complain about paying the gratuity should be a non starter. IN the US(yes NCL is US based) it is common practice if you get a free meal you tip the value of your meal. Any function with open bar it is expected that you tip your bar tender or the host has already taken care of it. Either way the bartender is tipped. Since NCL is eliminating the need to tip as you go or at the end of the cruise it only makes common sense to prepay the gratuity for the bartenders as well. I truly understand that tipping differs in different countries, but if someone from UK come to the US and has a meal at a restaurant shouldn't he be expected to tip? When someone from the US goes overseas are we not expected to follow their customs?

Maybe NCL is more aggressive with last minute pricing?

This is 100% accurate. On RCCL and CCL, you are better off booking out 6+ months in advance, Cheaper fare, better cabin selection, etc. NCL has trouble filling the ships and resorts to the last minute deals. I was on the Sun a few months ago and I believe the last minute fare I paid was (not even joking) 1/2 of what some paid in advance.

Carnival used to be my favorite cruise line especially since they leave out of a port that is within driving distance of my home although it is a 10 Hour drive! A consideration for me was which line has the best price for solo cruisers because I often cruise alone. Carnival used to give low prices with no single supplement on inner Porthole cabins located at the front of the ship with only one twin size bed in the room. They quit doing this a couple of years back and started charging double occupancy on what is clearly a single occupancy room. At that point I made the move back to Norwegian Cruise line. Most of the time if I do a comparison search with carnival the prices between Norwegian and carnival are comparable. Other than the Haven! Most of us would have trouble paying $3500-$5500 per person for a cruise. Indeed the only time I have ever stayed in the Haven was when it was a $400 upgrade from a balcony room. But if you keep your eyes open you can find really great deals especially if you live close enough to a port to take advantage of last minute specials. My next cruise is on NCL Getaway in September. I chose a balcony cabin with UBP, SDP, 250 min wifi, $50/ port shore excursion discount and $200 OBC for $1497 total including tax & port charges. This is essentially an all inclusive cruise since the OBC paid for the remaining balance on tours + 2 dinner shows! Show me a comparible Carnival Cruise for this price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival used to be my favorite cruise line especially since they leave out of a port that is within driving distance of my home although it is a 10 Hour drive! A consideration for me was which line has the best price for solo cruisers because I often cruise alone. Carnival used to give low prices with no single supplement on inner Porthole cabins located at the front of the ship with only one twin size bed in the room. They quit doing this a couple of years back and started charging double occupancy on what is clearly a single occupancy room. At that point I made the move back to Norwegian Cruise line. Most of the time if I do a comparison search with carnival the prices between Norwegian and carnival are comparable. Other than the Haven! Most of us would have trouble paying $3500-$5500 per person for a cruise. Indeed the only time I have ever stayed in the Haven was when it was a $400 upgrade from a balcony room. But if you keep your eyes open you can find really great deals especially if you live close enough to a port to take advantage of last minute specials. My next cruise is on NCL Getaway in September. I chose a balcony cabin with UBP, SDP, 250 min wifi, $50/ port shore excursion discount and $200 OBC for $1497 total including tax & port charges. This is essentially an all inclusive cruise since the OBC paid for the remaining balance on tours + 2 dinner shows! Show me a comparible Carnival Cruise for this price.

NCL will always win on solo prices. I'm not even sure if CCL or RCCL offer a supplement anymore.

Why complain about the "retail" cost of the UPB/UOB since next to no one actually purchases it? To complain about paying the gratuity should be a non starter.

You are going to learn something new today :)

The gratuity is a percentage of the "retail" cost of the UOB. Since, as you know, nobody pays retail for the UOB, this gave NCL a great idea... why not jack the retail price of the UOB up to increase gratuities? Which is no guarantee the staff make more since we have no idea how they spread the tips around.... but it does empty your pockets more. The cost of the NCL UOB is so grossly overpriced compared to their competitors, that it's obviously a way to increase gratuity and revenue.

You may think it's not much, but it's actually double the gratuity compared to RCCL and Carnival. At $45 per day compared to $89 per day for the package price, and NCL's 20% vs Royal 18%, you have MORE than doubled the gratuity on the cruise. For a party of 2 people, that's an extra $140 they took out of your pocket and you didn't catch it. Sneaky sneaky :)

To use your restaurant example, it would be like a restaurant knowing every customer uses the "free" meal voucher and only charges gratuity. So they changed the value of the dinner from $20 to $40.... and you pay your gratuity on $40 now....

And that's what our point was earlier. It's really smart marketing. Since it's "free" - how can you complain about the gratuities? Since it's "free" - how can you complain about not getting all the benefits of other lines beverage packages like bottled water, milkshakes, coffee drinks, etc?

That's a topic worth discussing, in my opinion, as the information is valuable if you are booking. If the cost of the package is baked in, and the total cost is similar between lines, but you get less with NCL, isn't that information you would want to know and discuss?

Thank you for the lesson today, however have you gone to different catering halls and their open bar prices were very different but maybe somewhere in all the charges it seemed to balance out to be the same. Believe me I have. So instead of singling out one charge or multiple charges for that matter the discussion should be and some have taken it there is the total cost of the cruise. If NCL marketing has found a message that people like, great. Instead of criticizing a company for doing what they should be doing (making money) you should be happy they are in business and providing competition for the other lines. If their charges fall out of line with the rest of the market where they will start to lose business they will correct it.

Thank you for the lesson today, however have you gone to different catering halls and their open bar prices were very different but maybe somewhere in all the charges it seemed to balance out to be the same. Believe me I have. So instead of singling out one charge or multiple charges for that matter the discussion should be and some have taken it there is the total cost of the cruise. If NCL marketing has found a message that people like, great. Instead of criticizing a company for doing what they should be doing (making money) you should be happy they are in business and providing competition for the other lines. If their charges fall out of line with the rest of the market where they will start to lose business they will correct it.

You were the one who asked why would anyone complain about the retail price since nobody pays for it. You got your answer.

I am happy NCL provides competition, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize some of their shady marketing and pricing tactics. It's not one or the other. We do the same with Royal, for that matter. Their never ending "sales" are a common joke on that forum.

As for it balancing out to the same, sometimes it does, often it doesn't. But understanding their intentionally misleading marketing gimmicks can certainly help someone understand better what they are getting and help them make better comparisons and choices. I've learned a lot in these discussions and rather enjoy it.

This is our 4th NCL cruise. We always buy the drinks package. Glad now that we have water included this time. Was shocked at how expensive the wayer was . The question I would like to ask. Is the Mini bar included. We never used it on previous sailings. My stamina not great so would be nice to enjoy a drink in my cabin if feeling tired.

This is our 4th NCL cruise. We always buy the drinks package. Glad now that we have water included this time. Was shocked at how expensive the wayer was . The question I would like to ask. Is the Mini bar included. We never used it on previous sailings. My stamina not great so would be nice to enjoy a drink in my cabin if feeling tired.

Minibar is not included on NCL's UBP. On MSC's YC the minibar is included. Nice touch but not significant to me.

The Service/Tip charge for NCL's UBP is indeed the customary 18%-20% as it would be for any land based bar/restaurant.

NCL is a bit different with their pricing. For NCL, they charge "regular" rates up front. I suppose it's a way to get max revenue early in the booking stream for any particular cruise. On most other cruise lines, they offer the biggest discounts the earlier you book and charge more the closer the sailing date gets. NCL discounts more the closer the sailing date gets. What's best? I dunno? I still work so I don't have as much flexibility for vacation times as others. It's rare that I book more than 90 days out, so it helps me.

Bottom line, all these cruises have no issues filling their ships as they all book full.

Actually, I'm in a suite and when my reservation was booked, suites didn't have to pay the gratuities.

I have a suite too but I did have this charge. Did you

Choice Promotion Service Charge:

$276.80

Water included? Since when?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a suite too but I did have this charge. Did you

Choice Promotion Service Charge:

$276.80

If you booked after June 2017, when the policy change, suites will now pay the service charge. If you booked before June 2017, like my December cruise, you don't pay it.

Actually, I would pay $89 per day if the package included way so much much more.

I’ve had no problem buying the drink package on other cruise lines because it includes way more and it’s cheaper than $89 per day. Norwegian makes no effort in making the package worth $89 per person per day . It’s all about the money [emoji383]

Apparently it is "worth it" to a lot of people since it sells so well. Oh well.

Sent from my computer using fingers

You are going to learn something new today :)

The gratuity is a percentage of the "retail" cost of the UOB. Since, as you know, nobody pays retail for the UOB, this gave NCL a great idea... why not jack the retail price of the UOB up to increase gratuities? Which is no guarantee the staff make more since we have no idea how they spread the tips around.... but it does empty your pockets more. The cost of the NCL UOB is so grossly overpriced compared to their competitors, that it's obviously a way to increase gratuity and revenue.

You may think it's not much, but it's actually double the gratuity compared to RCCL and Carnival. At $45 per day compared to $89 per day for the package price, and NCL's 20% vs Royal 18%, you have MORE than doubled the gratuity on the cruise. For a party of 2 people, that's an extra $140 they took out of your pocket and you didn't catch it. Sneaky sneaky :)

To use your restaurant example, it would be like a restaurant knowing every customer uses the "free" meal voucher and only charges gratuity. So they changed the value of the dinner from $20 to $40.... and you pay your gratuity on $40 now....

And that's what our point was earlier. It's really smart marketing. Since it's "free" - how can you complain about the gratuities? Since it's "free" - how can you complain about not getting all the benefits of other lines beverage packages like bottled water, milkshakes, coffee drinks, etc?

That's a topic worth discussing, in my opinion, as the information is valuable if you are booking. If the cost of the package is baked in, and the total cost is similar between lines, but you get less with NCL, isn't that information you would want to know and discuss?

As far as I am concerned, if I was never going to consider Carnival or RCCL *anyway*, (in keeping with your example), then nobody "took an extra $140 out" of our pockets. It's all relative. Personally, I do not perceive value from either of those 2 so I choose not to cruise with them, regardless if they are "cheaper".

I see nothing sneaky about any of it. They are a for profit company. We all presumably operate in a free market economy. If WE see something WE want, and agree to purchase it at a price that is agreeable to US, then there's no harm done, nobody is being taken advantage of, the rest (free/included/ultimate/unlimited) is all semantics.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

After going through this entire thread I really wonder how many of these posters just want to bash NCL amd really don't care about the the issue is. That being said let us all understand one thing, ALL companies that offer perks bake the cost into their price. Whether it is OBC, free shipping from a store or the great value of BOGO. No one gives things away for free or they would be out of business fast. Why complain about the "retail" cost of the UPB/UOB since next to no one actually purchases it? To complain about paying the gratuity should be a non starter. IN the US(yes NCL is US based) it is common practice if you get a free meal you tip the value of your meal. Any function with open bar it is expected that you tip your bar tender or the host has already taken care of it. Either way the bartender is tipped. Since NCL is eliminating the need to tip as you go or at the end of the cruise it only makes common sense to prepay the gratuity for the bartenders as well. I truly understand that tipping differs in different countries, but if someone from UK come to the US and has a meal at a restaurant shouldn't he be expected to tip? When someone from the US goes overseas are we not expected to follow their customs?
True and very well said.

I wish I could book the Haven for a little more. On those Joy sailings from LA the Haven (H8) is like $5000 per person. I'm betting the prices will crater on the LA sailings next year. There are a lot of ships moving here all doing the same itineraries. Once the novelty of these new ships wears off I doubt this market can support those prices. I just did a 12 day Australia cruise on Celebrity with tons of "free" perks for not much more than these 7 day west coast cruises I'm looking at. NCL's prices are getting silly (and so are Celebrities on some sailings).

YIKES!

Yeah, I agree. For $10,000 in the Haven on their brand new Joy, I'd pass too.

$2,500 pp all in is about the limit I would put out there to sail in the Haven on any of their ships. Above that, I'm looking at a more exotic locale, a longer cruise, or probably something along the lines of Viking.

Usually I sail either the YC or Haven between $3,800-$4,500, all in for two. Had a wonderful cruise last spring on the NCL Gem in an Aft Penthouse. Not in the Haven, but got all the privileges included with the Haven without actually being able to hang out in the Haven. I got the Butler, the Concierge, Breakfast and Lunch in Moderno, 3 SDP, UBP, internet, excursion credit.

The service was outstanding. No lines. Was able to interact more with my fellow travelers. And the ship looked perfect, despite it being over a decade old.

It's not a mega ship like Epic, Bliss, Getaway, etc. But, it was big enough to have enough to do to keep me entertained. I think that one was under $2,000.

Unless you want to go "bare bones" with a GTY inside cabin, or a solo cabin, with no perks, there are price ranges and cabins that should suit everyone without complaint.