Not the "Unlimited Beverage" Package anymore

Maya1234

Yes the UBP is a marketing gimmick, but a hugely successful gimmick. Del Rio is the master of deception. He inflated the price of the cruise to pay for the UBP, but the unintended consequence was NCL wasn't competitively priced commensurate with the class of cruise line.

When prospective cruisers compared prices amongst cruise lines NCL wasn't as competitive as they were pre-UBP. The fix was the introduction of the "Sail-away" rate which once again made NCL appear competitive when price shopping across cruise lines.

The genius of Del Rio is he knew the public and knew people would ignore the inflated price of the cruise and only focus on the UBP gratuity. Thus all the "The UBP is only $18 a day" posts which completely ignore the inflated cost of the cruise.

I'm not an apologist and i don't know if you're right or wrong

But, if you're right, why do they seem to have no problem filling their ships with willing paying guests

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But, if you're right, why do they seem to have no problem filling their ships with willing paying guests

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wish I knew human nature better, I guess that's why Del Rio makes 10's of millions and I don't. He understands marketing. The key for Del Rio is to make as much money as possible all the while convincing the customer they are receiving value. He's not stupid, he's not going to give away alcohol which has always been a cruise line's sweet spot for profit. He understands the general public are usually not analytical accountants and exploits that.

My bet is that within the next 2 years NCL will have to make some changes in favor of the customer due to increased competition especially with MSC entering the market and offering more for less.

I wish that you are correct by I don't believe that you are. More than likely, NCL will continue on their current pricing strategy and MSC will go up and close the price gap to some extent.

I've already noticed MSC prices starting to climb but they are still waaaaay under NCL.

Seaside is a great ship (I was in the Yacht Club last month) and even though MSC has a few unusual quirks, there are many aspects where the Yacht Club beats the Haven and would still beat the Haven even if both were the same price. Both are great, IMO.

I have no loyalty to either and plan on continuing to sail those 2 lines for years to come. I'm waiting for some Celebrity Edge/The Retreat info before I try X.

I don't care about bottled water nor specialty coffee so the UBP/UOB works fine for me. I don't even care what the cost is. I only care about the total for the cruise.

I bet that if NCL eliminated the UBP/UOB promo service charge but raised the fare by $20 a day, there would be fewer complaints on the forum. :p

The genius of Del Rio is he knew the public and knew people would ignore the inflated price of the cruise and only focus on the UBP gratuity. Thus all the "The UBP is only $18 a day" posts which completely ignore the inflated cost of the cruise.

When people use the "...$18 a day...", what they mean is that it is only $18 a day more. If people are willing to pay $3,000, they might as well pay $3,125 with the promo.

Once the total (minus the DSC) is known, the potential guest just has to decide if it is worth it. People should compare the total cost and what you get instead of focusing on 1 or 2 aspects of the cruise. Overall, I prefer NCL to Carnival. Some feel the opposite. Neither is "wrong".

I get what OP is saying, and it is interesting. When I read "open bar," however, I immediately think only of the short cruises to Bermuda or the Bahamas or Cuba, where everyone gets free booze, not just those who choose a beverage package.

I'm always rather boggled by all the UBP posts on here. I'm not a veteran cruises - only been on 3. My upcoming November cruise will be the first one on which we've chosen the UBP as one of our "perks." I had absolutely no problem going onto the NCL website and looking up what the package included and didn't include. I read the part where gratuities would be added to my "free" perk. I understood that if I purchased the UBP I would still pay those same gratuities, plus the cost of the package itself, so yes, I was getting a free beverage package, but I was not getting free gratuities. It wasn't hard. Why are people always asking what's included, what's not, why isn't it really "free," etc.? I also understood that I could pay less for a Sailaway cabin and not have any free perks. I did the math and figured out how much more it would cost to choose my own cabin and then get the UBP as one of my perks.

I'm not exceptionally smart, and I figured it out.

Anybody who is having problems with exactly what the UBP is, what it contains, it's cost, gratuities and whether its free or not should be made to read and re-read this excellent post until they understand.

I have to wonder, did NCL lose part of the market that doesn’t drink? Because direct cruise costs, other lines with comparable product are costing less for nearly the same cruise because he alcohol isn’t priced in for the other lines. It will be interesting to watch the genesis of the “all inclusive” cruise over the next 5-10 years. Seems like other lines are hedging bets the other way (that people will buy the packages outright) and offering varied entertainment that doesn’t involve alcohol. If you look at the entertainment on NCL it is very alcohol focused. I don’t mind because I love a good drink. But it would be fascinating to see the comparison between passenger consumption on various lines.

I would never buy the open bar package as before it was offered my wife and I would spend less than $500 on drinks per 7 day cruise. It is a great perk now because we drink more expensive drinks now. The only downside is we tend to drink more though my wife enjoys the virgin drinks. The 20% added on tip on the package goes to the servers and bartenders so that's fine with me.

I wish that you are correct by I don't believe that you are. More than likely, NCL will continue on their current pricing strategy and MSC will go up and close the price gap to some extent.

I've already noticed MSC prices starting to climb but they are still waaaaay under NCL.

Seaside is a great ship (I was in the Yacht Club last month) and even though MSC has a few unusual quirks, there are many aspects where the Yacht Club beats the Haven and would still beat the Haven even if both were the same price. Both are great, IMO.

I have no loyalty to either and plan on continuing to sail those 2 lines for years to come. I'm waiting for some Celebrity Edge/The Retreat info before I try X.

I don't care about bottled water nor specialty coffee so the UBP/UOB works fine for me. I don't even care what the cost is. I only care about the total for the cruise.

I bet that if NCL eliminated the UBP/UOB promo service charge but raised the fare by $20 a day, there would be fewer complaints on the forum. :p

Agreed!

Just booked the Getaway. Looked at some other cruises (namely, Carnival Vista, MSC Seside, RCCL Oasis/Harmony).

I don’t understand those who say NCL has “baked in” the price of the alcohol package in the fare. Fares were pretty much the same, give or take a Washington or two, as the others without an alcohol package. Add in the beverage packaged, and the delta in price looks a lot better for NCL.

Only big difference is looking at a CCL Vista Havana Cabin cruise, which is significantly less expensive than the Getaway Haven. But, that’s without the perks and larger OBC of the Haven.

Same goes for MSC Seaside YC. Adding in the OBC for the Haven, the prices become much closer, with NCL offering SDP of 3 dinners (vs MSC’s 1 specialty dinner) and other NCL perks, and the pricing for the HAVEN is very competitive, everything taken into account.

RCCL’s Cabins were generally higher than NCL’s. Their Suites with Star Service (similar to HAVEN and YC), were substantially higher than MSC’s and NCL’s Suite offerings. Add in OBC and other perks, RCCL is uncompetitive price wise.

An UNLIMITED OPEN BAR means all drinks the bar serves will be free with no limits. A package of any type indicates that it only includes items in that package and thus NOT everything. The new name is misleading not the old one.

I agree with this , as a Brit if I see the words “unlimited open bar “ then that means there are no limits to what I can have for free from that bar , which is clearly not the case here as I can not have free bottled water or top shelf drinks or certain cocktails all of which the bar serves .

I don’t really care what they call it as I’m happy with what’s on offer , but beverage package is a better description or it should be “unlimited open bar * (*with limits }

I get what OP is saying, and it is interesting. When I read "open bar," however, I immediately think only of the short cruises to Bermuda or the Bahamas or Cuba, where everyone gets free booze, not just those who choose a beverage package.

I'm always rather boggled by all the UBP posts on here. I'm not a veteran cruises - only been on 3. My upcoming November cruise will be the first one on which we've chosen the UBP as one of our "perks." I had absolutely no problem going onto the NCL website and looking up what the package included and didn't include. I read the part where gratuities would be added to my "free" perk. I understood that if I purchased the UBP I would still pay those same gratuities, plus the cost of the package itself, so yes, I was getting a free beverage package, but I was not getting free gratuities. It wasn't hard. Why are people always asking what's included, what's not, why isn't it really "free," etc.? I also understood that I could pay less for a Sailaway cabin and not have any free perks. I did the math and figured out how much more it would cost to choose my own cabin and then get the UBP as one of my perks.

I'm not exceptionally smart, and I figured it out.

This.

There is no fine print. It is all disclosed in the same font face and size. Everything was and still is 100% clear especially pertaining t what is and is not included and the fact that the gratuity is added on. The only people who have any trouble are two groups... 1) Professional complainers who look for an excuse to not like anything and, 2) lawyers who are trying to scam bucks off of legitimate businesses.

AMEN! The second I read the title of this Post I thought this must be a Lawyer. If you’re dumb enough not to know what you’re buying then itwould be better that you just don’t buy it.

The NCL apologists will always claim that you're only paying $18 per day for the beverage package because it's "free" when in reality just as you pointed out, the price is actually built in to the cruise fare you select. It's a marketing gimmick.

If you're ok with paying $18 per day plus an inflated cruise fare for the beverage package then you pick it, and if not then you don't. Simple choice.

This is one of the many reasons we're trying out the Seaside in the Fall. Paid $3,500 in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite with $250 OBC and a free internet package and don't have to worry about a thing (other then specialty restaurants although we get 1 free). It was the same price as a mini-suite on the Bliss so it was a no brainer.

My bet is that within the next 2 years NCL will have to make some changes in favor of the customer due to increased competition especially with MSC entering the market and offering more for less.

We recently returned to Royal Caribbean after a long hiatus. Food was awful, and service mediocre. I am more than ok with paying "inflated" prices to get the quality and service we like from NCL. You get what you pay for!

Just booked for this October. We picked the drink package as one of the 5 offers and paid $249 for gratuities. We think it's a good deal if you do the math per day. (Martinis alone are probably $10 or higher). Where can I find the list of what you get with ultimate beverage package while we are on the subject. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Just booked for this October. We picked the drink package as one of the 5 offers and paid $249 for gratuities. We think it's a good deal if you do the math per day. (Martinis alone are probably $10 or higher). Where can I find the list of what you get with ultimate beverage package while we are on the subject. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

On the NCL web site. Type UBP in the search box.

I have to wonder, did NCL lose part of the market that doesn’t drink? Because direct cruise costs, other lines with comparable product are costing less for nearly the same cruise because he alcohol isn’t priced in for the other lines.

You hit the nail on the head. If you don't drink alcohol, you're getting ripped off on NCL as the fare is inflated to cover those costs.

The NCL apologists will always claim that you're only paying $18 per day for the beverage package because it's "free" when in reality just as you pointed out, the price is actually built in to the cruise fare you select. It's a marketing gimmick.

If you're ok with paying $18 per day plus an inflated cruise fare for the beverage package then you pick it, and if not then you don't. Simple choice.

This is one of the many reasons we're trying out the Seaside in the Fall. Paid $3,500 in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite with $250 OBC and a free internet package and don't have to worry about a thing (other then specialty restaurants although we get 1 free). It was the same price as a mini-suite on the Bliss so it was a no brainer.

NCL have created a monster with the Haven, suddenly cruisers realise that for the Haven cost, they can travel on an upmarket cruise line...

When people use the "...$18 a day...", what they mean is that it is only $18 a day more. If people are willing to pay $3,000, they might as well pay $3,125 with the promo.

Once the total (minus the DSC) is known, the potential guest just has to decide if it is worth it. People should compare the total cost and what you get instead of focusing on 1 or 2 aspects of the cruise. Overall, I prefer NCL to Carnival. Some feel the opposite. Neither is "wrong".

Understood, the point I'm making is many people seem to think the $18 per day is the ONLY additional cost for the UBP, they generally fail to take into consideration the inflated cost (over the Sail Away rate). They are paying for the "free" drinks, just in an opaque manner.

We average 3-4 drinks a day, that's why we always chose the Sail Away rate and just pay for our drinks. The math works out it's cheaper for us.

I think if NCL would just offer a legitimate beverage package like RCCL and CCL, this forum would have 50% less posts.

What else is there to talk about here? Lol. NCL is way too deep in to their marketing gimmicks though. I don't see how they could change that. Every aspect of their product is a gimmick. They would have to actually compete on product and not fooling people with their gimmicks, and NCL's product doesn't stack up, so... more gimmicks.

AMEN! The second I read the title of this Post I thought this must be a Lawyer. If you’re dumb enough not to know what you’re buying then itwould be better that you just don’t buy it.

I am a lawyer but my job is to defend corporations like NCL ( NCL is not a client but I keep track of what goes on in the travel industry ) from consumer fraud suits. And while your opinion is probably that of many on CC, consumer fraud law is dependent on survey evidence. It’s the same sort of surveys that advertisers do. If the surveys show that a good number of consumers would be confused / deceived by the way a company advertises its products it can face liability. Often Plaintiffs attorneys will do a preliminary survey and then try to obtain a settlement from companies before suit is filed This is the bane of some of my clients existence.

. Changes to,the ads are often a big part of the settlement. So when my colleague on the other side heard I was on a cruise he told me that the change from UBP to UOB was pre litigation survey driven. I had seen the change and wondered why NCL had made the change. I thought this was interesting so I posted it.

I am a lawyer but my job is to defend corporations like NCL ( NCL is not a client but I keep track of what goes on in the travel industry ) from consumer fraud suits. And while your opinion is probably that of many on CC, consumer fraud law is dependent on survey evidence. It’s the same sort of surveys that advertisers do. If the surveys show that a good number of consumers would be confused / deceived by the way a company advertises its products it can face liability. Often Plaintiffs attorneys will do a preliminary survey and then try to obtain a settlement from companies before suit is filed This is the bane of some of my clients existence.

. Changes to,the ads are often a big part of the settlement. So when my colleague on the other side heard I was on a cruise he told me that the change from UBP to UOB was pre litigation survey driven. I had seen the change and wondered why NCL had made the change. I thought this was interesting so I posted it.

I’m totally with you on this. I’m not a lawyer, and I know exactly what comes with the packages (and what is excluded), what tips I’m paying, etc., but I absolutely believe the advertising is incredibly deceptive. Maybe now just slghtly less so. (“Free” Shore Excursions? Nope.)

"Specialty" coffee is not a bar drink. My point of view as to one reason why.

Really? Not saying coffee was a bar drink. Was wondering out loud why it wouldn’t be more cost effective for them to include the coffees, as does Carnival. Again no need to debate.

Thanks for the great explanation! That makes perfect sense to me.

Agreed!

Just booked the Getaway. Looked at some other cruises (namely, Carnival Vista, MSC Seside, RCCL Oasis/Harmony).

I don’t understand those who say NCL has “baked in” the price of the alcohol package in the fare. Fares were pretty much the same, give or take a Washington or two, as the others without an alcohol package. Add in the beverage packaged, and the delta in price looks a lot better for NCL.

Only big difference is looking at a CCL Vista Havana Cabin cruise, which is significantly less expensive than the Getaway Haven. But, that’s without the perks and larger OBC of the Haven.

Same goes for MSC Seaside YC. Adding in the OBC for the Haven, the prices become much closer, with NCL offering SDP of 3 dinners (vs MSC’s 1 specialty dinner) and other NCL perks, and the pricing for the HAVEN is very competitive, everything taken into account.

RCCL’s Cabins were generally higher than NCL’s. Their Suites with Star Service (similar to HAVEN and YC), were substantially higher than MSC’s and NCL’s Suite offerings. Add in OBC and other perks, RCCL is uncompetitive price wise.

Would you mind posting specific details? I’ve yet to come across a Haven room that’s even close price wise to the YC on he Seaside. Also, Seaside is a few months old and the Getaway I believe is 4-5 years old. Compare the Seaside to the Bliss if you want a more accurate comparison.