Not the "Unlimited Beverage" Package anymore

Maya1234

It never was.....

DW's favorite drink is a chocolate martini. She may have 1 per day. Each one is $2.95 plus the additional tip. It's not like the drink is some vintage wine or Johnny Blue. It's standard booze and classic nickel and diming.

My only question is how much do you pay for that at an upscale bar or hotel and where in the country are you buying them?

My only question is how much do you pay for that at an upscale bar or hotel and where in the country are you buying them?

I'll give you a direct comparison. Twelve dollars on Royal and included in package vs $18 or a $3 upcharge on the NCL package.

LOL! It’s sort of makes you wonder why some folks are even still cruising when they seem to hate everything about their cruises! I love watching the ocean, hearing it, smelling the salt water breeze, and being rocked to sleep. Even if there are occasionally events on some cruises that are less than optimal, I love being on the ocean!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AMEN!

In all frankness, I find cruising to be one of the best vacation values around. Entertainment is great (and within walking distance), views are drop dead gorgeous from my balcony. I’ve never slept in a more comfortable bed than the ones I’ve had with NCL. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE of the crew I’ve interfaced with while cruising have bent over backwards to make my vacation wonderful.

Overall, these ships are the equal to most high end hotels. I’ve certainly stayed in lesser hotels and spent a whole lot more than my cruise cost per night.

With NCL’s perks (drinks, specialty dinners, internet, etc), the value quotient is even higher.

You’re going to have to tip regardless of the venue you go to on land....for food, or drinks. You’re going to tip your hotel concierge at a hotel. There are going to be times when things don’t go the way YOU think they should. But, if you let those things bother you, you’re going to be bothered regardless of if you’re at land, sky or sea.

Last month I was in Chicago with my girlfriend for July 4th weekend. We stayed at a nice hotel, not over the top, but nice. It was a Hampton. There was a bar around the corner that we frequented before going back to our hotel (which was $229/nite before all the hotel taxes and fees). She likes Cosmopolitans. I was drinking dirty martinis. We had two drinks each. The bill with tip.....$75. Drinks were $15/ea.

Considering I’m drinking on NCL for free and just paying the tips, I’m well ahead of the curve. Plus, there was no blue waters passing us by while we were drinking.

I'll give you a direct comparison. Twelve dollars on Royal and included in package vs $18 or a $3 upcharge on the NCL package.

Sail on Royal if that's your main criteria. Biggest no brainer in the history of the world for you.

Free, for NCL, is not free. When we were going to opt for the unlimited beverage package, we saw on our bill they tacked on a nice $268 for the two of us in gratuities. We wouldn't even drink that much to cover the gratuities, so for us it wasn't free. We changed it to free WiFi instead. Other cruise lines we have been on have actually provided "free" beverage or specialty dinner packages without further gratuities.

Interesting information from OP though.

Free, for NCL, is not free. When we were going to opt for the unlimited beverage package, we saw on our bill they tacked on a nice $268 for the two of us in gratuities. We wouldn't even drink that much to cover the gratuities, so for us it wasn't free. We changed it to free WiFi instead. Other cruise lines we have been on have actually provided "free" beverage or specialty dinner packages without further gratuities.

On any other mainline cruise ship where can you get a drink package for $268 for 2 for 7 days? Obviously, the drink package is not for you. You made the right call.

On any other mainline cruise ship where can you get a drink package for $268 for 2 for 7 days? Obviously, the drink package is not for you. You made the right call.

On Princess and Holland America, there were no extra fees tacked on to their "drink package" when it was part of a promotion. And no, we would not drink $268 worth of drinks in 7 days. We usually have at the most one drink each per day -- even if they are $12/day pp incl. tip (we usually get the drink of the day), that's still only $168 for the week. I'd rather pay individually than pay $100 extra for the "privilege" of having a drink package ;)

Totally with you on this. They’re also about $12 after gratuity on DCL as well.

(No, DCL doesn’t have a drink package, and no, the price of a chocolate martini isn’t the deciding factor in which cruise I’ll take, but that doesn’t mean we can’t complain about it!)

Totally with you on this. They’re also about $12 after gratuity on DCL as well.

(No, DCL doesn’t have a drink package, and no, the price of a chocolate martini isn’t the deciding factor in which cruise I’ll take, but that doesn’t mean we can’t complain about it!)

The point is that the NCL package is anything but "free" and anything but "ultimate" as it offers the least in comparison to every other cruise line. The diehards on this forum will say "well it's still a lot cheaper that anywhere else!" yet what they fail to realize is that NCL's fares are high in comparison to CCL and RCCL. They are paying for it, one way or another. And it's the worst drink package at sea. But, let them think it's "free." ;)

We're the same way ... we don't drink 2 or 3 drinks per day to make it worthwhile. So we choose another promo that doesn't have a gratuity charge, or one we WILL use.

We do find the gratuity charge on the dining plan when it's "free" to be a good deal, so we will take that. $14 for 3 specialty meals. I don't care what NCL calls it. They can call it a "flux capacitor" for all I care. I call it a good deal.

It's good that you noticed the charge, and that NCL lets you change it. We're like you ... our bar bill has never ever approached $268. I think I would faint if it did. But I understand its a great deal for people who cut loose and drink a lot on their cruise.

Well you can't but on most of the other lines when the drink package is offered as a free perk, it's actually a free perk. You don't pay anything additional.

I've been doing free drink packages on other lines for about 5 years now and I was a little surprised when my TA said "oh you have to pay $252 for your free drink package, oh and another amount for your free dining package, oh and you want to eat in Ocean Blue, that's another $48 please. What I thought was a reasonable deal quickly turned into a fairly expensive deal.

Edited by TFLG

I don't know of any mainline cruise line (including NCL) where can you get a drink package for $268. That's why we always chose the Sail Away rate and buy our drinks. We would never drink enough to justify the $268 + the price difference between the Sail Away rate and the more expensive perks included balcony price.

Well you can't but on most of the other lines when the drink package is offered as a free perk, it's actually a free perk. You don't pay anything additional.

I've been doing free drink packages on other lines for about 5 years now and I was a little surprised when my TA said "oh you have to pay $252 for your free drink package, oh and another amount for your free dining package, oh and you want to eat in Ocean Blue, that's another $48 please. What I thought was a reasonable deal quickly turned into a fairly expensive deal.

Yep -- we spend more on NCL than any of the other 4 cruise lines we have sailed. Example: NCL charges $53 for a case of water, Carnival charges $4.99! There's no reason on this planet why NCL has to raise the prices that high except for greed. We like their cruises to Bermuda because they stay longer than most other lines, but that's the only itinerary we plan on using them for. Most other lines allow you to bring your own water and soda onboard, and when they offer a promotion of free dining or beverage package, don't tack on gratuities to your account.

AND NOW, this morning I found out that even if you bring your own wine onboard to drink in your room, they STILL charge you the $15 corkage fee! OMG -- seriously greedy. Princess, HAL, Carnival and Disney have never done that unless you bring the bottle to the dining room to have with dinner!

Kinda starting to see why NCL is beginning to get referred to as the nickel and dime company

I don't get caught up in the gratuity thing. The staff deserve them.

What is misleading is the statement that you can get "free" drinks (or other perks). NCL uses it in their advertising.

On most, if not all, NCL cruises you can get a sailaway fare without perks for considerably less than the fare with the "free" perks. For the cruise that I am booked on, the difference between the sailaway balcony fare and the lowest fare with the perks is $300. Consequently, the cost of the "free" perks is $300.

From a purely mathematical view, the drink package makes the most sense, even if you use the lower drink package price on other lines for comparison. There are cases where the cost of the "free" perks can be greater than the ala carte cost of the perks. (internet= $125 and 4 meal UDP $84).

The only point here is that marketing can be misleading. Caveat emptor.

Edited by davy jones

Still don't get it how somehow NCL is more expensive because of the drink tips. I'll make a certain assumption that most would, or want to sail in a Balcony Cabin. Not looking at all fares for all cabin types.

I'm booked on the Getaway next month. I looked at some random cruises on the Getaway for all of Sept. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive....but, the fare I came up with for a Balcony cabin including what are probably the two most requested perks.....Ultimate Drinks Package and Specialty Dining Package. All in fare, with tips, fees....everything....$2,200 for two. $277 of that covers tips and service charges for the dining and drinks. You also get $100 OBC from NCL.

On RCCL....similar itinerary on Liberty of the Seas (much older ship than the NCL Getaway) Balcony Cabin, sailing at the same time as the NCL Getaway. No drink package or specialty dining package is offered as a perk, and no OBC. The fare is $2,564 for two, taxes, tips, service charges included. That fare INCLUDES the BOGO promotion they have going on now.

Just looked these up. So, where the confusion comes from regarding pricing is beyond me.

Still don't get it how somehow NCL is more expensive because of the drink tips. I'll make a certain assumption that most would, or want to sail in a Balcony Cabin. Not looking at all fares for all cabin types.

I'm booked on the Getaway next month. I looked at some random cruises on the Getaway for all of Sept. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive....but, the fare I came up with for a Balcony cabin including what are probably the two most requested perks.....Ultimate Drinks Package and Specialty Dining Package. All in fare, with tips, fees....everything....$2,200 for two. $277 of that covers tips and service charges for the dining and drinks. You also get $100 OBC from NCL.

On RCCL....similar itinerary on Liberty of the Seas (much older ship than the NCL Getaway) Balcony Cabin, sailing at the same time as the NCL Getaway. No drink package or specialty dining package is offered as a perk, and no OBC. The fare is $2,564 for two, taxes, tips, service charges included. That fare INCLUDES the BOGO promotion they have going on now.

Just looked these up. So, where the confusion comes from regarding pricing is beyond me.

Fares also depend on the ports they are visiting and the port fees. Some are higher than others. We always get a balcony -- that is part of our vacation choice, so we expect to pay more for that option. The other promos are for those to pick as to what they prefer. Many will make out great with the drink package because they have a drink with lunch and dinner and maybe another cocktail or beer on deck. So in that case, it well pays for itself.

I don't get caught up in the gratuity thing. The staff deserve them.

What is misleading is the statement that you can get "free" drinks (or other perks). NCL uses it in their advertising.

On most, if not all, NCL cruises you can get a sailaway fare without perks for considerably less than the fare with the "free" perks. For the cruise that I am booked on, the difference between the sailaway balcony fare and the lowest fare with the perks is $300. Consequently, the cost of the "free" perks is $300.

From a purely mathematical view, the drink package makes the most sense, even if you use the lower drink package price on other lines for comparison. There are cases where the cost of the "free" perks can be greater than the ala carte cost of the perks. (internet= $125 and 4 meal UDP $84).

The only point here is that marketing can be misleading. Caveat emptor.

Yep, I hate that people on here focus on the “free” drinks costing more and the fact others focus on the drinks only costing the price of the gratuities. Neither is correct, the cost of the drinks is the difference in fares with the perk added as opposed to without plus the gratuities- on average usually $50pp pd more ie same as the average drinks package on other lines (shock horror).

I never listen to what people claim they are paying so many leave off port charges, taxes, gratuities etc.

If we are comparing lines, we get a quote for similar itinerary, similar category, add in drinks package (we personally always have one) and specialty dining (if we want it). Total them up and compare, not difficult. We sail multiple lines but the reality is for us (because we want the drinks) the ncl deals TOTAL to lower prices than most of their competitors. We used to sail predominantly Celebrity and Hal (drink package prices lower and don’t include gratuities) but guess what - despite all these semantics they are much more expensive - as is RC. If we didn’t drink then those other lines might be a different story.

Do I think the ncl drinks package is the best one? No not even close but it is still usually the best deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly - I have never sailed RC - not because I don’t want to because I want drinks included and that would make them much more expensive.

Exactly - I have never sailed RC - not because I don’t want to because I want drinks included and that would make them much more expensive.

We get the cruise line's credit card, use it to pay off the cruise and other monthly bills (never carrying a balance). Once the cruise is paid off, we put it away. But on average, we earn $300-$500 onboard credit. Pays for our gratuities, drinks and photos. Costs us nothing so we come out ahead and we never have a balance due onboard :D [i started doing that after our first NCL cruise when I realized how much they ding you onboard LOL]

We get the cruise line's credit card, use it to pay off the cruise and other monthly bills (never carrying a balance). Once the cruise is paid off, we put it away. But on average, we earn $300-$500 onboard credit. Pays for our gratuities, drinks and photos. Costs us nothing so we come out ahead and we never have a balance due onboard :D [i started doing that after our first NCL cruise when I realized how much they ding you onboard LOL]

Yes I met others who do likewise, unfortunately us Aussies aren’t eligible for those cards [emoji24]

RCCL's ships fill, so booking last minute typically is more expensive. Ex: My November Oasis sailing, 7 nights OV balcony, was $1,750 earlier this year. Right now, that cabin almost $2,500, and it's a GTY.

We get the cruise line's credit card, use it to pay off the cruise and other monthly bills (never carrying a balance). Once the cruise is paid off, we put it away. But on average, we earn $300-$500 onboard credit. Pays for our gratuities, drinks and photos. Costs us nothing so we come out ahead and we never have a balance due onboard [emoji3] [i started doing that after our first NCL cruise when I realized how much they ding you onboard LOL]

I don’t use the card for onboard credit. I either cash in my points for cash off my credit card balance or if I build up 30,000 points I’ll use it as an upgrade from Oceanview to balcony. Every dollar spent on Norwegian counts as double points so rather than using my points to purchase onboard credit I pay for my purchases on board using my Norwegian credit card. I get double points for all the purchases on board and use those points to pay off the card. Every 5000 points ($2500 in NCL purchases or $5000 in other purchases) gets you $50 statement credit. If you purchase onboard credit to pay for your on board purchases then you don’t get any points for those points! Another way I save is by purchasing “cruise next” certificates. Each certificate is worth $250 off the price of one of your future cruises. If you purchase two of these certificates you only have to pay $250 instead of $500 for both of them. If you purchase only one of the certificates it will cost you only $150 for that certificate. If you cruise frequently it’s easy to use two of them before they expire 18 months later. Since I use my NCL credit card to purchase those 2 certificates I am not only saving $250 on a future cruise, I also receive 500 points for that $250 purchase. So you might say NCL is paying me $505 for a $250 purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

New to NCL so please don't flame me...so no specialty coffees? No canned sodas? No bottled water? Posters mention "free booze" please tell me that means wines by the glass too...I don't do booze unless it is a shot of Patron in my margarita.

New to NCL so please don't flame me...so no specialty coffees? No canned sodas? No bottled water? Posters mention "free booze" please tell me that means wines by the glass too...I don't do booze unless it is a shot of Patron in my margarita.

Wines by the glass are included if $15.00 or less. Over $15.00 you pay the difference +20% gratuity.

No specialty coffee, no canned soda, no bottled water.