Sunpass system issue

StrikeEagle

Hello everyone,

I saw on the Sunpass web site they are having some sort of issue of the new system and having about 139 millions of transaction backlog.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/Sunpass_FDOT_Update.pdf

I'll be driving from Houston to Port Canaveral and I do have Florida Sunpass, can someone from Florida tell me what does this issue meant, what to expect. I do have sufficient amount on my Sunpass account for the trip.

Thanks

What it means is that each toll transaction will take between one and two months to post to your account. And will by no means post in the correct order. Transactions outside of the Florida Turnpike system (ie the Beachline between Orlando and Port Canaveral) are lagging even further behind charges from the mainline Turnpike.

Since you know you have sufficient balance for your trip if you are signed up for auto replenish I would suggest you unenroll. I just got hit in the past weeks with four seemingly random auto top off charges based on my higher than usual activity between mid May and early June (three trips to and from central Florida in that time span) because of how erratically the tolls from the Polk Parkway and the Tampa and Orlando expressway authorities are hitting everyone's account. For an infrequent user "low balance alerts" should be sufficient in lieu of auto replenish (though I have no idea how reliable the former are at the moment). To put it plainly, its just a flippin' mess.

It took about 6 weeks for our tolls from a May 31 - June 6 trip to post. They posted a few at at time, but they were all correct and eventually all posted. We have auto replenish and it worked fine, actually got charged 6 weeks later than I normally would have had the tolls posted promptly.

Only took about four weeks for other tolls from a June 25 - July 4 trip to post. Just got to Orlando yesterday, so we will see how long it takes these to post.

Other than the long delay to post, everything is correct and the auto replenish is working OK.

mac_tlc

Hi we’re from the UK & will be flying in & out of Miami. Planning on driving up to Orlando for a few days via the turnpike. We’ve done this a long time ago when there were cash tolls but believe they’ve all gone now.

Can anyone give me info on how we would get Sunpass?

Thanks

Hi we’re from the UK & will be flying in & out of Miami. Planning on driving up to Orlando for a few days via the turnpike. We’ve done this a long time ago when there were cash tolls but believe they’ve all gone now.

Can anyone give me info on how we would get Sunpass?

Thanks

if you are in a rental car they almost all have transponders includdd. The rental companies usually charge a flat fee for the duration of the rental which averages $15. Then tolls accrued are charged to your credit card on file.

I can't get to the link because the sunpass.com website is not working (surprise!), but here's where you can buy one:

Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, Amscot Financial, AAA South, Navarro Pharmacies and Sedano's Supermarkets

sunpass.com loads up fine for me

different rental companies have different ways they handle electronic tolls in FL and this is ALL explained on the SUNPASS site .....

the $$ varies WIDELY so it is wise to check the site for the way different companies handle this

{some require you to pay a per day charge for every day ... up front ... BAD

others charge a per day fee ONLY of rdays you use the service ...... GOOD}

my preference is National/Enterprise/Alamo ..... (all the same company)

https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

As fishywood said, it’s a mess! It’s been taking a minimum of 3 weeks for our account usage information to load into the system, so that’s about the lag time that I have been seeing. Wouldn’t be a problem but we were trying to do my husband’s work expense reports.

I would expect that for those traveling, the extra charges from surpass won’t hit your credit card with the rental companies for quite a bit. Don’t be surprised when you see that come in much later.

my account is up to date with transactions I made last week already posted .....

the way I read the issue is there IS a large backlog of transactions waiting to be posted from when the problem happened. High volume users could see several auto-replenish hits close together when this bunch of old transactions hit the system. And if this happens one could have CC issues (hitting a credit limit).

Also in the news is word that late fees and penalties are going to be refunded .... the state is holding the contractor responsible as is stated in the contract .... so says Florida Today in an article today ....