Bad tablemates...I just cannot do it again!

!MSteacher

I have tried set dining twice and HATED it, I won't go on a line that offers traditional dining and risk getting forced into it again

We don't mind "Traditional Dining" on Princess as long as we get a 2 top. "Anytime Dining" there is a real lottery as they have so few 2 tops which are "in demand" at the times we want to eat.

It is not helped by Princess allowing Traditional diners to eat in Anytime Dining!!! That is one of the main complaints that I have heard on the ship and on here.

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound as though all other cruise lines force guests to eat with strangers. Not so. NCL was definitely the pioneer in letting people eat whenever and with whomever, and that is a huge plus about cruising with NCL. But the concept is so popular that most cruise lines have had to follow suit with their version of freestyle dining, which other cruise lines call "anytime dining," "my time dining," etc. A major difference is that those other cruise lines also have traditional dining -- two fixed seatings (early and late).

I think you will find that, on other cruise lines, if you choose "anytime dining" you will be able to eat whenever you want and will be seated by yourselves if you desire. This is certainly true as to Celebrity. The problem may occur on other cruise lines when you have "traditional" dining. In those circumstances, while you may be able to request, say, a two-top, the cruise line may not be able to guarantee you'll be assigned one. It's a major reason why my wife and I, when on non-NCL cruises, opt for "anytime dining."

THANK YOU! This completely makes sense and it now makes so much sense to me!!! I had always assumed that "anytime dining" was designed only to accommodate the "time" that people wanted to eat...I had no idea it was also designed for people to be seated as in a restaurant. This was very helpful, now we know!

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

I’ve never heard of Norwegian Cruise line seating anybody with anybody that wasn’t a member of their group. I actually would love to meet new people at dinners but like I said Norwegian never seats people who are not and member of the group with that group. It’s the one negative about going on a cruise Solo. I hate to eat alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I've commented on this many times. Often people will recommend Le Bistro to those looking for a romantic place to go for dinner. I always tell them No Way. You could eat off the plate at the table next to you without even leaning over. It's ridiculous.

I love meeting new people,but even I would have to cry halt if people were leaning over eating off my plate! LOL!!!

Tell the maitre 'd that you wish to change tables. They will always find a solution for you. Never put up with bad table mates ever. On a couple of occasions, I simply stood up, left the table and walked out. You could ask for and sit at own choice dining.

Sounds like Le Bistro on the Dawn! (At least, that's where/how it was pre dry dock.)

We wandered into it just a few feet, and just backed right out. It looked absolutely dismal.

But on the Pearl, it was great, and we'd ask for a table by a window, even if the time wasn't our first choice.

GC

On Dawn, LeBistro and LaCucina swapped locations during dry dock.

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound as though all other cruise lines force guests to eat with strangers. Not so. NCL was definitely the pioneer in letting people eat whenever and with whomever, and that is a huge plus about cruising with NCL. But the concept is so popular that most cruise lines have had to follow suit with their version of freestyle dining, which other cruise lines call "anytime dining," "my time dining," etc. A major difference is that those other cruise lines also have traditional dining -- two fixed seatings (early and late).

I think you will find that, on other cruise lines, if you choose "anytime dining" you will be able to eat whenever you want and will be seated by yourselves if you desire. This is certainly true as to Celebrity. The problem may occur on other cruise lines when you have "traditional" dining. In those circumstances, while you may be able to request, say, a two-top, the cruise line may not be able to guarantee you'll be assigned one. It's a major reason why my wife and I, when on non-NCL cruises, opt for "anytime dining."

On Royal Caribbean, "my time dining" was only for dinner service. Breakfast and lunch in the MDR was open seating where you are seated with others at large tables. A request to be seated by ourselves had us sent off to the side (punishment) for 10 minutes or so before we were seated. Our request was refused at lunch once however, after complaining to the maitre'd that evening, the hostess who refused our request wasn't seen in the dining room for the rest of the cruise.

On NCL, we are seated by ourselves for ALL our meals which is what we prefer.

Le Bistro on the Jewel, absolutely perfect for the two of us.

Glad to hear about Le Bistro on the Jewel. We depart in 43 Days & have a couple of dinners planned for Le Bistro

I am not the most social person but I enjoy meeting other people. I wouldn't mind sharing.

Interesting to hear comments about Le Bistro. Is it any different than any other fine restaurant that has tables close together?

If you had sailed the old way,with no choice on who your table mates were for ;7 or more nights you might not feel like you enjoy meeting other people. ;)

Yes, I've commented on this many times. Often people will recommend Le Bistro to those looking for a romantic place to go for dinner. I always tell them No Way. You could eat off the plate at the table next to you without even leaning over. It's ridiculous.

That pretty much depends on what ship. The only time we have ever really experienced that was on the Dawn the first time we sailed her. Our last cruise on her, after dry dock this was not the case. We have found this more in Cagney's than any other specialty dining room. It did seem to us Le Bistro on the mega ships didn't have as much space between tables and the older ships and the Jewel Class, but not like the MDRs and no different than other lines.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I can see it having been awkward, but hardly rude. Was it rude of them to not know English? Was it rude of you to not know their language?

No that’s not what I meant. I mean, usually it’s considered rude to speak to someone in one language where there are people you know don’t speak the language sitting with you. It seemed rude for us to converse in English in front of them knowing they didn’t speak the language. Since we were all sitting at the same table it was super awkward to basically ignore our table mates and converse over them. Kind of like if we just whispered to each other in front of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No that’s not what I meant. I mean, usually it’s considered rude to speak to someone in one language where there are people you know don’t speak the language sitting with you. It seemed rude for us to converse in English in front of them knowing they didn’t speak the language. Since we were all sitting at the same table it was super awkward to basically ignore our table mates and converse over them. Kind of like if we just whispered to each other in front of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just shows how people are so different. I would have had a blast trying to communicate with them and I probably would have not only known their names, where they were from, but a number of words in their language and we all would have had a lot of laughs.

Just shows how people are so different. I would have had a blast trying to communicate with them and I probably would have not only known their names, where they were from, but a number of words in their language and we all would have had a lot of laughs.

Sounds like the other non English couple didn't even make that attempt.

I had the exact same reaction.

Me too [emoji23] I live in Sweden and don’t think I know anybody that can’t talk english. Many german people doesn’t speak english, I guess thats why they have their own cruise ships with german speaking staff (mein schiff).

Me too [emoji23] I live in Sweden and don’t think I know anybody that can’t talk english. Many german people doesn’t speak english, I guess thats why they have their own cruise ships with german speaking staff (mein schiff).

Ran into some Germans at the airport a few years ago. They spoke English, but I mostly spoke German.

My mother is German. English was compulsory in her school. I would think most Germans are familiar with English, but probably the same way I am familiar with German. Took it in school, understand some, speak very little....regardless, I would think common courtesy would require at least saying hello and introducing yourselves. Then if neither couple was fluent in the others’ language you eat your dinner and chat with your companion.

..regardless, I would think common courtesy would require at least saying hello and introducing yourselves. Then if neither couple was fluent in the others’ language you eat your dinner and chat with your companion.

I agree.:)..that is the way we have handled it all social situations..cruising or not.

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

Try the buffet.

You are on NCL. You dine where and when you want to eat. Your only table mates are those you choose. Three people will be seated at a 4 top.

NCL doesn't do "shared" tables....alas...we enjoy tablemates and have never had "bad" ones! Maybe it's us! We get along with almost everyone!

Wow! Way to make the OP feel great about themselves. Sometimes, the "stock" answers just don't work. :rolleyes:

Wow! Way to make the OP feel great about themselves. Sometimes, the "stock" answers just don't work. :rolleyes:

Cruising is not a popularity contest. Some people will get along, some won't. Everyone has a different style.

It is not that we don't "enjoy meeting new people". We have enjoyed meeting people on our past cruises. In fact, during our Disney cruises, we really enjoyed the friendships we made with the people at the table next to us. On our Princess cruise we ended up exchanging addresses, and we still send Christmas cards to our tablemates from that cruise. However, on the last cruise, it was a disaster. No, it was beyond disaster! There really is no way to put into words just how bad it was. It was a family of 3 (Mom, Dad, Teen Son). The parents had separated about 6 months prior to the cruise (we didn't find this out until later in the cruise, but it was pretty obvious). They were taking the vacation together for the "sake of the child". Every night at dinner they were either cold and hateful to each other or at each other's throats with insults. It was so awkward and obviously miserable for the teenage son. We tried very hard to engage the couple in light conversation about the activities of the day, a show from the previous night, or an excursion. Needless to say, it was exhausting! It made dinner miserable. Yes, we should have asked to change tables, but I really thought it would get better. And I didn't want to come off as "difficult to please".

NCL doesn't do "shared" tables....alas...we enjoy tablemates and have never had "bad" ones! Maybe it's us! We get along with almost everyone!

It is not that we don't "enjoy meeting new people". We have enjoyed meeting people on our past cruises. In fact, during our Disney cruises, we really enjoyed the friendships we made with the people at the table next to us. On our Princess cruise we ended up exchanging addresses, and we still send Christmas cards to our tablemates from that cruise. However, on the last cruise, it was a disaster. No, it was beyond disaster! There really is no way to put into words just how bad it was. It was a family of 3 (Mom, Dad, Teen Son). The parents had separated about 6 months prior to the cruise (we didn't find this out until later in the cruise, but it was pretty obvious). They were taking the vacation together for the "sake of the child". Every night at dinner they were either cold and hateful to each other or at each other's throats with insults. It was so awkward and obviously miserable for the teenage son. We tried very hard to engage the couple in light conversation about the activities of the day, a show from the previous night, or an excursion. Needless to say, it was exhausting! It made dinner miserable. Yes, we should have asked to change tables, but I really thought it would get better. And I didn't want to come off as "difficult to please".

When eating dinner in the main dining room my wife and I have been asked a half dozen times. On our last cruise which was 14 days we were asked three times. We enjoy meeting new people