Airline cancelled flight, missed cruise, options?

laur371

I wasn't agreeing that they would be out that much, just that it could cost that much for a short cruise. They would be refunded port fees and taxes, too.

The OP’s parents are probably out about $600 or so. I’ve seen sob stories that didn’t get a refund or credit, like death or illness. In this case, it was just poor planning. Getting the cheapest flight, not getting insurance that would’ve been really inexpensive, not a sob story. I’m a sucker that has spent hundreds of dollars on insurance, I don’t think cruise lines should be giving out refunds for issues that happen, that people know can happen, but decide not to purchase insurance.

The OP’s parents are probably out about $600 or so. I’ve seen sob stories that didn’t get a refund or credit, like death or illness. In this case, it was just poor planning. Getting the cheapest flight, not getting insurance that would’ve been really inexpensive, not a sob story. I’m a sucker that has spent hundreds of dollars on insurance, I don’t think cruise lines should be giving out refunds for issues that happen, that people know can happen, but decide not to purchase insurance.

I would say more of an unfortunate incident than poor planning. Life happens. Whether the risk of life happening is worth the cost of trip insurance is up to each individual.

My personal opinion, is that it would be good business for a cruise line to rebook at no charge for certain things outside of a passengers control, like a canceled flight. I think it would set them apart. But of course they can run their business however they want.

My personal opinion, is that it would be good business for a cruise line to rebook at no charge for certain things outside of a passengers control, like a canceled flight. I think it would set them apart. But of course they can run their business however they want.

I think the reason they don't is because where would they draw the line? A cancelled flight, a death in the family, somone got the flu, hurricane damage to someone's house, being deployed, someone's friend broke their leg, etc., as all of these plus many more issues are beyond the passener's control; everyone thinks their issue should be refunded or credit for another cruise. And as long as their is trip insurance, it is not something we will probably see anywhy.

I would say more of an unfortunate incident than poor planning. Life happens. Whether the risk of life happening is worth the cost of trip insurance is up to each individual.

I'd think more "poor planning", as it wasn't *just* the lack of insurance. They could have done what many of us do, and fly in a day or two in advance. (Yes, that doesn't make as much sense for a very short cruise, but that's also partly because there is less to lose... just as what happened.)

But about a cruise line that DID allow "rebooking"... just think what could start: Fewer people would fly in a day or two in advance, figuring, well, if I miss the ship, I'll be able to re-book for later... etc. There would then slowly be more and more empty cabins, especially with massive weather delays in some regions, and then all of those people would then get "replacement cabins" on future cruises, meaning less revenue in the future.

It wouldn't take too much of this, happening over and over, for it to impact the line's, er, bottom line. Then they'd need to raise cruise fares overall...

There can be lots of unintended consequences, system-wide, when one starts tweaking and changes things that now because automatic.

I'm *only* commenting about why it's more complicated than it might seem for a cruise line to make the policy change suggested.

Travel insurance is in good part a function of the cost of the trip, so with very low cost cruise and ultra low-cost air, the travel insurance wouldn't add all that much. A *single* claim will pay for insurance for a lot more trips.

But it's a personal decision, just like getting collision insurance for a car. Do you want to risk paying for that nasty/deep scratch? Or would you prefer to pay for insurance to cover costs like that. It's a trade-off one makes. But then don't complain when that car door *does* get a nasty scratch, and try to have the car repair place fix it free because "it wasn't your fault" that the scratch got there (or whatever explanation).

No this example isn't identical to a cruise/air situation, but it's similar enough with respect to "making choices" about risk of a loss.

GC

I'd think more "poor planning", as it wasn't *just* the lack of insurance. They could have done what many of us do, and fly in a day or two in advance. (Yes, that doesn't make as much sense for a very short cruise, but that's also partly because there is less to lose... just as what happened.)

But about a cruise line that DID allow "rebooking"... just think what could start: Fewer people would fly in a day or two in advance, figuring, well, if I miss the ship, I'll be able to re-book for later... etc. There would then slowly be more and more empty cabins, especially with massive weather delays in some regions, and then all of those people would then get "replacement cabins" on future cruises, meaning less revenue in the future.

It wouldn't take too much of this, happening over and over, for it to impact the line's, er, bottom line. Then they'd need to raise cruise fares overall...

There can be lots of unintended consequences, system-wide, when one starts tweaking and changes things that now because automatic.

I'm *only* commenting about why it's more complicated than it might seem for a cruise line to make the policy change suggested.

Travel insurance is in good part a function of the cost of the trip, so with very low cost cruise and ultra low-cost air, the travel insurance wouldn't add all that much. A *single* claim will pay for insurance for a lot more trips.

But it's a personal decision, just like getting collision insurance for a car. Do you want to risk paying for that nasty/deep scratch? Or would you prefer to pay for insurance to cover costs like that. It's a trade-off one makes. But then don't complain when that car door *does* get a nasty scratch, and try to have the car repair place fix it free because "it wasn't your fault" that the scratch got there (or whatever explanation).

No this example isn't identical to a cruise/air situation, but it's similar enough with respect to "making choices" about risk of a loss.

GC

Did I read incorrectly? Didn't she say they were flying in the day before but the next available flight wasn't until too late after the cancelation?

Insurance companies make money. I prefer the risk but I'm aware I could lose out if things go wrong. In the long run, I'm ahead. Trip insurance, to me, is like gambling, the house almost always wins.

I think the reason they don't is because where would they draw the line? A cancelled flight, a death in the family, somone got the flu, hurricane damage to someone's house, being deployed, someone's friend broke their leg, etc., as all of these plus many more issues are beyond the passener's control; everyone thinks their issue should be refunded or credit for another cruise. And as long as their is trip insurance, it is not something we will probably see anywhy.

You draw the line with specific requirements like a canceled flight. It's not complicated.

Southwest has made a very good business out of offering things like changes at no charge. Taking care of your customers has its benefits.

You draw the line with specific requirements like a canceled flight. It's not complicated.

And they would open themselves up to bad press and lawsuits from folks with different issues, which are beyond their control as well, that feel they should be given credit for another cruises. It would be a very slippery slope if they allowed favoritism for cancelled flights, not to mention they could lose $$$$'s in revenue and who is going to make up for that loss of revenue, oh, you and me and all the other cruises.

And they would open themselves up to bad press and lawsuits from folks with different issues, which are beyond their control as well, that feel they should be given credit for another cruises. It would be a very slippery slope if they allowed favoritism for cancelled flights, not to mention they could lose $$$$'s in revenue and who is going to make up for that loss of revenue, oh, you and me and all the other cruises.

That's really not how it works ;)

To be fare, I can’t imagine a 3 night cruise out of Florida costing even close to $2000. They’re usually pretty cheap.

Well I just took a mother-daughter "booze cruise" as some call it, and we stayed in a balcony stateroom. Cost was $720 pp. Not $2000 per say, but once you add in taxes and fees, it comes pretty darn close. This was on the Sun out of Port Canaveral in mid-June.

CM

Based on my experience, I think $600 is undershooting just a bit...maybe per person, but not total.

To be fare, I can’t imagine a 3 night cruise out of Florida costing even close to $2000. They’re usually pretty cheap.

I have to say ... that caught my eye when it was posted also. A 3 day cruise typically $300 - $400 / per person & CHEAP airline (spirit) ... how could it get so high? Drink & dinner packages for a short cruise? That doesn't sound likely, either.

2 people, with airfare, drinks, hotel, excursions, internet, etc. It adds up.

It's a 3 day cruise. It was only going to the cruise line's island. There were no ports or excursions to buy.

This couple seems to have been approaching this was a very frugal plan. So I would have to guess ... an inside cabin, it being the cheapest. Hotel nights ... again ... probably booked a Best Western type ... low priced. It's a stretch to get to $2000 ...

Well I just took a mother-daughter "booze cruise" as some call it, and we stayed in a balcony stateroom. Cost was $720 pp. Not $2000 per say, but once you add in taxes and fees, it comes pretty darn close. This was on the Sun out of Port Canaveral in mid-June.

CM

I checked NCL’s we site, you can cruise out of Miami this month for about $300 pp before the taxes and fees, which the OP’s parents will be refunded for.

I checked NCL’s we site, you can cruise out of Miami this month for about $300 pp before the taxes and fees, which the OP’s parents will be refunded for.

My 3 night out of PC was $259pp I think. The daily service charge was $19.99 pp/pd and taxes/fees were $120pp I think. So assuming they went with a cheap fare, they might get close to 50% of their money back.

It's a 3 day cruise. It was only going to the cruise line's island. There were no ports or excursions to buy.

This couple seems to have been approaching this was a very frugal plan. So I would have to guess ... an inside cabin, it being the cheapest. Hotel nights ... again ... probably booked a Best Western type ... low priced. It's a stretch to get to $2000 ...

You do know cruise lines have excursions on their private islands, right? ;)