Do folks adhere to HAL email telling them what time to embark by deck?

WeRockChalkKU

I do not view HAL or any other cruise line as a host. I am a customer, not a guest. They are a business, albeit a hospitality business. I feel exactly the same about a hotel.

Exactly :). HAL may call us guests but we are paying customers ;)

I do not view HAL or any other cruise line as a host.
And other folks can just as readily make similar rationalizations with regard to common courtesy, politeness and etiquette, that avian777 was writing about, with just the same amount of legitimacy. That's why trying to hang anything on what any one person chooses to include in common courtesy, politeness and etiquette is never going to hold any water.

Beyond that, going down the legalistic path of talking about "customer" and "business" actually obligates the customer more directly, by way of the Cruise Contract and the legal promises the customer makes therein. Customers - especially cruise passengers - are noted for ignoring whatever part of the Cruise Contract that they think they can get away with ignoring, but even more notoriously making up obligations that they place on the cruise line that are in no way promised by the cruise line in the Cruise Contract.

No matter which way you slice it, there isn't much foundation for kind of expectations that avian777 was talking about.

Edited by bUU

I'm wondering if people that have purchased their transfers through HAL are transferred according to their assigned boarding times. Does anyone know?
No. You get on the next available bus after you have claimed your bags. The bus leaves the airport when it is deemed full. When it arrives at the port everyone checks in. At least that's the way it has always worked when everyone's boarding pass said 1:00 pm, and I suspect it will continue to be so.

I remeber reading here on CC that 4 and 5 stars are "allowed" to bypass any time schedule and show up when they want. Can someone confirm this, please?
So far everyone is allowed to bypass scheduled times and check in whenever they arrive. I expect that 4*/5*/Neptunes will always be able to ignore scheduled times.

The email they send out specifically says something like "We invite our 4 and 5 Star Mariners, Pinnacle and Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime."

Always subject to change, of course. I'd read whatever they send and make a determination after that. Isn't Carnival the only one that has moved to a strict system of holding people to those exact boarding times?

The email they send out specifically says something like "We invite our 4 and 5 Star Mariners, Pinnacle and Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime."

Always subject to change, of course. I'd read whatever they send and make a determination after that. Isn't Carnival the only one that has moved to a strict system of holding people to those exact boarding times?

Bolding is mine. If you are referring to CCL affiliated lines, I believe that is correct.

But Oceania (for one) has had a strict system of boarding and even room readiness (rooms are not ready when you board) for some time now.

... the rules of hospitality includes both the host's obligation to guests and the guests' obligation to their host ...

Just as the "rules" of common courtesy and politeness apply to guests' interactions with other guests. (y)(y)(y)

I do not view HAL or any other cruise line as a host. I am a customer, not a guest. They are a business, albeit a hospitality business. I feel exactly the same about a hotel.
Just as the "rules" of common courtesy and politeness apply to guests' interactions with other guests. (y)(y)(y)
Precisely right: "Just as..." meaning, "As people decide those rules are applicable to themselves."

Thank you. That's what I thought I read.

I'm wondering if people that have purchased their transfers through HAL are transferred according to their assigned boarding times. Does anyone know?

If you purchased transfers through HAL, the transfer time is based on your flight schedule. They pick you up at the airport based on your flight times and transport you to the cruise terminal. Then you just checkin and get assigned to the “next” boarding group regardless of the checkin time printed on your boarding pass.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I remember reading here on CC that 4 and 5 stars are "allowed" to bypass any time schedule and show up when they want. Can someone confirm this, please?

Confirmed. The same is true for suite guests.

I thought this was an interesting comment so I went to the dictionary for a definition of “host”. “A host is a person (or entity) who receives or entertains other people as guests.” So I guess you’re right. In your view, they aren’t anything special and have no obligation to “receive or entertain”, just give you a product in exchange for your dollar.

I actually prefer the “host/guest” relationship and I do feel like HAL goes the extra mile to provide a level of service that enhances my cruising experience. I feel like they appreciate me and want to do everything to make me comfortable. On the contrary, I’m a “customer” at Target, with no expectation that they will go the extra mile to help me have a better experience shopping there. IMHO. [emoji41]

On the contrary, I’m a “customer” at Target, with no expectation that they will go the extra mile to help me have a better experience shopping there. IMHO.

However, according to Target's own advertising, they will (and should) do just that... go 'the extra mile' to enhance your shopping experience. Go figure..

If you purchased transfers through HAL, the transfer time is based on your flight schedule. They pick you up at the airport based on your flight times and transport you to the cruise terminal. Then you just checkin and get assigned to the “next” boarding group regardless of the checkin time printed on your boarding pass.

Thanks, I was just curious.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

This is what we received today from HAL regarding our Zaandam cruise in three weeks:

6f99635a28142b0f5138098b2dd1a06b.jpg

I think it covers everything!

PS The itinerary says we sail at 4 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ann.

that's interesting since the Zaandam is not that big of a ship. I wonder if they are due for an inspection?

I'd be curious to know what the MDR lunch hours are when they do this.

If there are a lot of 4 and 5*'s, it's could still be very busy at 12:30.

This is what we received today from HAL regarding our Zaandam cruise in three weeks:

6f99635a28142b0f5138098b2dd1a06b.jpg

I think it covers everything!

PS The itinerary says we sail at 4 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ann.

that's interesting since the Zaandam is not that big of a ship. I wonder if they are due for an inspection?

I'd be curious to know what the MDR lunch hours are when they do this.

If there are a lot of 4 and 5*'s, it's could still be very busy at 12:30.

I can only relate my own experience. We were on the Zaandam Alaska itinerary this year (2018), from May 21 - June 4. We received the same notification VictOriann received. We nonetheless showed up at Pier 91 in Seattle at our usual time, which is around 10:45 - 11 am, and boarded promptly at 11:30. The Zaandam is the only ship at pier 91 this year on Mondays. The main dining room was open at 12 noon, and we were seated and eating there at 12:15, after we'd had a chance to drop off our bags and check out our cabin. Muster Drill was at 3pm.

I can only relate my own experience. We were on the Zaandam Alaska itinerary this year (2018), from May 21 - June 4. We received the same notification VictOriann received. We nonetheless showed up at Pier 91 in Seattle at our usual time, which is around 10:45 - 11 am, and boarded promptly at 11:30. The Zaandam is the only ship at pier 91 this year on Mondays. The main dining room was open at 12 noon, and we were seated and eating there at 12:15, after we'd had a chance to drop off our bags and check out our cabin. Muster Drill was at 3pm.

I do not view Target any different than HAL, Celebrity, or my local bank.

I am a customer of all three. They sell me the product that I have contracted for and they perhaps will meet or exceed the service expectations that they have set. They may like to call me a guest or a client to boost my ego or give me the warm and fuzzies however the net is the same. Paying Customer.

I am a customer whether I stop at a Sleet Inn or a Marriott Renaissance. The price is different, the service level and amenity levels are different. This does not make me a guest at the Ren and a customer at Sleep. I view myself as a paying customer at both. And I expect to get exactly what each promised me at the time of purchase.

Sometimes I have to chuckle at the comments of HAL loyalists. I cannot imagine even one of them taking delivery of a new automobile and

being so cavalier if the salesman says sorry, the AC on this car does not function and we cannot fix it. It is what I mean by getting or not getting what you paid for.

Edited by iancal

I do not view Target any different than HAL, Celebrity, or my local bank.

I am a customer of all three. They sell me the product that I have contracted for and they perhaps will meet or exceed the service expectations that they have set. They may like to call me a guest or a client to boost my ego or give me the warm and fuzzies however the net is the same. Paying Customer.

I am a customer whether I stop at a Sleet Inn or a Marriott Renaissance. The price is different, the service level and amenity levels are different. This does not make me a guest at the Ren and a customer at Sleep. I view myself as a paying customer at both. And I expect to get exactly what each promised me at the time of purchase.

Sometimes I have to chuckle at the comments of HAL loyalists. I cannot imagine even one of them taking delivery of a new automobile and

being so cavalier if the salesman says sorry, the AC on this car does not function and we cannot fix it. It is what I mean by getting or not getting what you paid for.

Not sure I follow your car analogy, of course I wouldn’t accept a new car without a working A/C. I don’t see anything wrong with being loyal to a particular brand if they continue to exceed your expectations, as HAL has done for me (and yes, I’ve cruised various lines so I do have comparative data). I’m sure there are plenty of brands that you are loyal to for a various reasons. It all depends on what is important to you.

Glad to hear this, I got the notice as reported but plan to be at the check in by 11:30 in a few weeks.