KONINGSDAM ? from 1st timer

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions from all the experienced cruisers. Here are my questions:

1. what is the cost of the "cabana" on the ship? Any foods given? Can I order drink w/PPC?

2. when does one "book" cabana on HMC?

3. are life vests kept in the cabin?

4. is there a fee to use the green house pool (would booking a massage get one in w/o any cost?)

5. does anyone know of the shows for March/April 2019 dates?

6. just to verify: ea. person allowed 1 bottle of wine to bring onboard at embarkment?

7. comments on the jogging area?

8. verify: cooking class for free is just to watch (no food samples?), cooking class for fee (what do you get with this payment?)

Thanks so much for any help here with these questions...……………….

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions from all the experienced cruisers. Here are my questions:

1. what is the cost of the "cabana" on the ship? Any foods given? Can I order drink w/PPC?

2. when does one "book" cabana on HMC? Before cruise in excursions

3. are life vests kept in the cabin? Yes, extras at lifeboat stations

4. is there a fee to use the green house pool (would booking a massage get one in w/o any cost?) Not sure what the green house pool is?

5. does anyone know of the shows for March/April 2019 dates? Too far in advance to be certain (HAL is not known for its shows, but some of the smaller venues are really good)

6. just to verify: ea. person allowed 1 bottle of wine to bring onboard at embarkment? You can bring more and pay corkage. The free allowance can only be used in your cabin/balcony

7. comments on the jogging area? Relatively small (short) and you will compete with walkers

8. verify: cooking class for free is just to watch (no food samples?), cooking class for fee (what do you get with this payment?)

Thanks so much for any help here with these questions...……………….

Some of the answers are above

There is no corkage fee if it is opened in your room.
And consumed in your room.

You will have a muster on the first day and have to bring them to a station.
Not on K-dam, and muster is indoors ... MDR or World Stage for most people.

. Life vests are in each cabin. You will have a muster on the first day and have to bring them to a station.

Muster is held indoors (MDR, Theatre, Pinnacle Grill etc).

No HAL ship requires life jackets at muster. Leave them in the stateroom wardrobe! (please!)

Oh, thank you so very much everyone for your answers. You are all the Best! Could I ask a couple other questions?

1. I kinda got "talked into" the drink package when booking. Though I am not a real "guzzler", I do enjoy wine and drinks on vacation. I understand that there are only certain places where I can use my "drink card" and some places (ie. DR and on HMC) where it cannot be used? Exactly where can I use this "drink card"?

2. On port days, are towels left in the cabin for our use on excursions or must we go to "towel station" and have our cabin card scanned?

3. Has anyone done the Blend Wine Class? Comments would be appreciated!

Thanks to all!

C

Oh, thank you so very much everyone for your answers. You are all the Best! Could I ask a couple other questions?

1. I kinda got "talked into" the drink package when booking. Though I am not a real "guzzler", I do enjoy wine and drinks on vacation. I understand that there are only certain places where I can use my "drink card" and some places (ie. DR and on HMC) where it cannot be used? Exactly where can I use this "drink card"? If by DR you mean the main dining room, then yes, you can use it there.q you can not use it off ship at HMC. There are no limited areas on the ship, as far as I know.

2. On port days, are towels left in the cabin for our use on excursions or must we go to "towel station" and have our cabin card scanned? Towels will be in your stateroom the night before the first port.

3. Has anyone done the Blend Wine Class? Comments would be appreciated! Sorry, I have no answer for this one.

Thanks to all!

C

Have a great trip!

Out cruises always include at least one picture of a person wearing their life vest at the life boat drill. Always a hoot.

In the past few years, no life jackets worn or taken to any HAL life boat drill. Too many people tripping on the loose cords apparently. These are not done for guest entertainment or photo ops, but for critical crew training.

Please listen and follow their instructions because this helps the crew to time how long it takes to get everyone out and accounted for. Out doors on all ships except the brand news ones which do not have sufficient outdoor deck space to accommodate the full number of passengers so they use indoor gathering spaces.

I believe each adult can bring one bottle of wine on board. There is no corkage fee if it is opened in your room. Life vests are in each cabin. You will have a muster on the first day and have to bring them to a station.

You don't bring your life vest to muster drill on any HAL ship. They stopped doing that about 7 or 8 years ago. Muster drill is NOT on deck on the Koningsdam. You will muster in one of the lounges/dining rooms/show room. The location will be posted in your cabin.

I believe you can bring a glass of any beverage anywhere on the ship. This means you can fill a glass of your "free wine" you brought aboard and bring it to the Dining Room, Crows Nest, etc.

On our last cruise (38 days) we brought aboard some insulated cups and filled them with ice and soda which we also brought aboard. No problems at all.

DD

I believe you can bring a glass of any beverage anywhere on the ship. This means you can fill a glass of your "free wine" you brought aboard and bring it to the Dining Room, Crows Nest, etc.

On our last cruise (38 days) we brought aboard some insulated cups and filled them with ice and soda which we also brought aboard. No problems at all.

DD

I think technically you are not supposed to bring beverages from your cabin and consume them around the ship.If you bring your bottle of wine to a lounge or diningroom, you will be charged the corkage fee. Your 'free' wine is meant for in room consumption.

Do people do it? Maybe. Do they get away with it? Maybe.

DD

No problem with the soda, but as OVgirl notes, the wine is meant to be consumed in your cabin if you don't want to pay the corkage fee. From the 2018 KBYG:

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage

at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to

a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or

champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are

welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee

each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

You don't bring your life vest to muster drill on any HAL ship. They stopped doing that about 7 or 8 years ago. Muster drill is NOT on deck on the Koningsdam. You will muster in one of the lounges/dining rooms/show room. The location will be posted in your cabin.

Just to add to this - make sure you follow the directions carefully. The first part of the drill instructs you to go to your cabin and await further instructions. Please do this. One of the goals of the muster drill is to have you follow instructions and every drill there are passengers who ignore this part and head straight to their muster stations.

1. I kinda got "talked into" the drink package when booking. Though I am not a real "guzzler", I do enjoy wine and drinks on vacation. I understand that there are only certain places where I can use my "drink card" and some places (ie. DR and on HMC) where it cannot be used? Exactly where can I use this "drink card"?

Thanks to all!

C

For the Signature Beverage Package, there isn't a separate "drink card" anymore. You just present your room card, the drink is charged to your onboard account, then the charge is reversed (provided the drink doesn't exceed the allowed $ amount and you haven't had 15 beverages yet that day).

You can use the beverage package in all onboard lounges and restaurants. You cannot use it on HMC, and you can't use it for minibar or room service purchases.