Princess Panama Canal

mojitoman

My wife and I are on the Island Princess going halfway through the Panama Canal in April. We have received different points of view as to whether we should get off the ship and take an excursion on a smaller craft through the canal or stay on the ship and sail back through it. Just looking for some thoughts on the matter. Thank you!

Mom and I are doing the same partial transit in December and we decided to take the excursion that goes through the Pacific locks. That way we get the best of both worlds. I can't imagine it's that great to see the same lock coming and going, but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We have done the partial Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess and took the excursion on the ferry boat to the Pacific. We found that the excursion was hours of bus riding and a very crowded ferry boat. We would not recommend that excursion. We went to the new canal on the Caribbean Princess, did not take an excursion, and greatly enjoyed both transits of the first set of locks.

We did that excursion in ‘17 and heartily recommend. We sat on the top deck and saw everything up close and personal. Going through the locks is a whole new experience on a small boat.

We were served a light lunch, cold water, saw the new locks, came out into the Pacific and saw maybe 20 ships riding at anchor waiting their turn to come through to locks to the Atlantic.

Panama City’s skyline was stunning. Had no idea it was a city of skyscrapers.

I would do that excursion again in a heartbeat.

Edited to say we’ve done the “stay on the ship and go back through the same locks”, also. This was much more enjoyable for us.

The motorcoach back was maybe 90 minutes and had a lot of sightseeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve done the Panama Canal transit 8-9x and done quite a few different tours as well as stayed on the ship.

The best tour by far was the ferry through the locks. Everyone raced upstairs but I stayed downstairs where it was open but covered. Only a few of us there so we could move around, take photos, etc. As it was covered and we weren’t in direct sun, it was cooler. The commentary is excellent. The bus ride back to the ship was interesting. We made several stops to break up the trip. The actual driving time isn’t that long. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Worst tour I’ve taken in Panama was the train. There’s so much foliage between the tracks and the Canal that it’s hard to see anything. Those on the Canal side have the best view and if there’s anything to see, tend to stand up and block the window from anyone sitting on the other side. It’s not cheap. IMHO, you get to see very little. The highlight is stopping at the locks and the Canal viewing platform. Even there, people (usually tall people) tended to hog the windows and viewing, and refused to move to let others or shorter people see anything. I wouldn’t waste my money on this tour.

Our ferry had a roof over us with open sides, so we could see all around without moving but were out of the sun. I guess it depends on which one you get.

Pam and Tagsfan are so right. One of best decision we made was to take the small ferry through the other 2 locks and into the Pacific. My DW nd I have pics of us touching the lock wall. That is how up close and personal you get to the locks on the tour. Be aware that the bus ride to the Galliard Cut where you pick up the ferry is about an hour but the scenery was nice.

695355662_DWWall.thumb.jpg.25bbded33095a0eced4c86d83b182025.jpg

My wife and I are on the Island Princess going halfway through the Panama Canal in April.

I don't see any Partial Transit cruises on Island Princess in April 2019 or 2020.

Are you on one of the Coral Princess round-trip Los Angeles cruises (there is one in April 2020, plus three others between now and then)?

The fact that the ship is transiting the Pacific side locks, and your small boat excursion would be to view the Atlantic side, does make a difference in the answers--I assume most of those above are assuming the reverse, so some clarification is in order here.

We have received different points of view as to whether we should get off the ship and take an excursion on a smaller craft through the canal or stay on the ship and sail back through it.

And it certainly looks like you have received different points of view in this thread as well;):D! Are you planning this trip to see the Canal specifically? If that is the case then the partial transit via Gatun Locks is really just a wee sample of the Canal. While going through Gatun Locks and then back out is very interesting you are only seeing 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal and twice in the same day. Without experiencing a passage through Gaillard Cut and not thinking about what took place a little over a 100 years ago doesn't put the Canal in complete perspective. As you peacefully sail through the Cut just imagine that 200 trains with 20 dump cars everyday during the peak, making the dirt fly! Another big plus is seeing the Pacific Locks on a smaller vessel gives you completely different point of view of the locks. The scenery to and from the ferry is interesting and Panama City is not exactly what many expect.

A long day, sure... but you have come a long way... go enjoy.

We really enjoyed that excursion as wanted to see the other side of the canal. We are not sure if we will get to take the full transit cruise until maybe we have retired. You really get a feel for the size of the canal and can touch the walls. At the end, you go through the last locks into the Pacific. Here is two minute video we took when the last locks opened from the front of the boat.

My wife and I are on the Island Princess going halfway through the Panama Canal in April. We have received different points of view as to whether we should get off the ship and take an excursion on a smaller craft through the canal or stay on the ship and sail back through it. Just looking for some thoughts on the matter. Thank you!

We were on the Coral Princess in Dec 2013 on a Panama Canal cruise. It was a partial transit to Gatun Lake.

Entering the Panama Canal

43812192852_afb62fc5eb_h.jpg2013-12--18

We wondered why the ship did not sail at the appointed time at the end of the day.

We found out that a Princess bus tour to the Pacific side broke down and the passengers on that tour did not arrive back to the ship on time until after 8PM. They held the ship and kept a dining room open for them.

One of the reasons we are willing to pay a little more for a Princess Tour as shyt happens.

Howard

We have done the partial transit of the Panama Canal a couple of times from Ft. Lauderdale and have loved both times. The first time we got off in Gatun Lake and took the domed train along the canal and into Panama City and saw a lot of the canal and how it was built with a wonderful narrative. In the city we transferred to a bus and took a total tour of the city, palace, Bridge of the Americas (we stopped and got out for pictures) and the locks on the Pacific side. We returned to the train station and took the train back to Colon where we met and re-boarded the ship. We had a nice lunch on the train. To us, this was a very pleasant excursion.

The last time we stayed on the ship and returned trough the locks and docked in Colon where there is some shopping fairly close to the terminal.

Both cruises were wonderful and I would not have changed either one.

We did the full transit - 17 days LA to FLL - in 2015 and are doing a 19 day partial (same direction) this November. It sounds as if the excursion folks love is when one is traveling from FLL. Does anybody have experience with such an excursion going the other way?

We did a full transit from the Pacific side in 2005--no excursion, no need for it. Lovely day and one of out best cruises ever.

Partial transit from FLL 2018....honestly, I found the new locks rather boring. The excursion might have been a good idea. The cruise itself was good, but the canal wasn't particularly great.

We did the full transit - 17 days LA to FLL - in 2015 and are doing a 19 day partial (same direction) this November. It sounds as if the excursion folks love is when one is traveling from FLL. Does anybody have experience with such an excursion going the other way?

Thrak, we will be doing the LA to LA 19 day partial in March 2019. It appears a tour while in transit is not an option, which is a disappointment for me. We enjoyed staying onboard during the full transit and had hoped to take part in a tour similar to those offered on the FLL partial transits but none are offered on this itinerary. Does anyone know why?

I would stay on the ship, it's much more comfortable. We did a full transit East to West and the first couple locks were pretty amazing. After that it's sort of like watching paint dry. You will get plenty of great views from the ship, food, drinks, comfort, A/C, no crowds, and nap when you want.

Thrak, we will be doing the LA to LA 19 day partial in March 2019. It appears a tour while in transit is not an option, which is a disappointment for me. We enjoyed staying onboard during the full transit and had hoped to take part in a tour similar to those offered on the FLL partial transits but none are offered on this itinerary. Does anyone know why?

I don’t think Gatun Lake to Colon would have the impact that sailing under the Bridge of the Americas, seeing Panama City and the Pacific would have.

Maybe Princess tried it and it wasn’t a success.

Looking at 2019 April sailings on the Island Princess, they are all Ocean to Ocean. Is this the March 30th Sailing?

If it is, and you read the history of the Canal, you will learn that the Gaillard cut is one of the more interesting areas of the Canal. This sailing will only go onto the lake and not enter the cut. I would go ahead and take the small boat (assuming it is tour PC1-615) through so you can see the other third to half of the canal and if you are lucky you might get to see the new locks from the bus depending on your drive back.

We did the Island in 2008 Ocean to Ocean and really enjoyed it.

This just a guess as to why they may not offer shore excursions on the partial from the Pacific side... The ship probably won't reach the anchorage near Gatun Locks until sometime near mid afternoon. Since many of the shore excursions normally offered from the Gatun Lake anchorage (FLL/partials) involve transportation back to the Pacific side, at a minimum they would take four to five hours putting return tendering operations at night.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and the information! In regards to the question, yes we actually leave FLL on the 31st of March and it is a partial sailing. Given the responses I think we will plan on the ferry through the canal.

Looking at 2019 April sailings on the Island Princess, they are all Ocean to Ocean. Is this the March 30th Sailing?

If it is, and you read the history of the Canal, you will learn that the Gaillard cut is one of the more interesting areas of the Canal. This sailing will only go onto the lake and not enter the cut. I would go ahead and take the small boat (assuming it is tour PC1-615) through so you can see the other third to half of the canal and if you are lucky you might get to see the new locks from the bus depending on your drive back.

We did the Island in 2008 Ocean to Ocean and really enjoyed it.

I second this post, wholeheartedly. The Galliard cut is the engineering highlight of the Panama Canal. Your ship is floating around in Gatun Lake and you’re just a few miles away from it. By all means, take the ferry tour through to the Pacific.

When you are doing the partial from the Pacific side you are going to Gatun Lake and basically going through 90% of the Canal. All you are not doing is the locks back to sea level on the Caribbean side. And, frankly, this is not that different than the locks on the Pacific side other than all three are together.

But for those who do a partial from the Caribbean side do not get to see most of the Canal, especially the Gaillard Cut which was the major engineering feat when the Canal was initially constructed. If you do not take the small boat excursion when doing the partial from the Caribbean side, you basically just see the locks (well worth seeing and experiencing) and a big lake. With the small boat excursion offered on those cruises you get to see the Canal.

Is the excursion available on a full transit from FLL to LA? Is it necessary if you're on the Island or Coral going through the old locks?

It seems to be available if the ship will spend a day at Panama City. However, it goes back through the Pacific side locks you came through already.