Harmony of the Seas - Open Balcony Dividers?

I see some old topics on this and I've been on several RCI boats and have always had them open the balcony dividers without issue. However, we just got back from an NCL cruise(extended family trip, not my choice) and they outright refused. We pushed and pushed and even offered money and they said they could not open the balconies because of safety issues. I am going with my family(wife, 11 yo daughter and 9yo son) on Harmony in November and got two adjoining balconies with the plan that we would open the balcony divider so we can go between rooms. Ahead of my recent NCL trip I was told it should not be an issue to get the balcony doors open, but no matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't open them.

Has anyone gone recently on RCI or Harmony and tried this? Did you get any pushback or trouble?

On another note - does anyone know the tool that would open these on Harmony? I know now what I would have needed to bring on NCL Escape to open them(a square tipped driver).

TIA!

The majority of the time, the balcony dividers can be opened - there are some cases where structural elements of the ship make it impossible to have a divider in the usual location, and I had thought those could not be opened until I saw a video of them opened up - apparently those cabins have the divider in a different spot. Those cabins are only on Deck 14, however, so you have a 99.9% chance of having yours opened! Have a great time, Harmony is one of the best out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We and friends had adjacent balconies on deck 12 of Anthem and the balcony panel was on the inside, next to sliding doors, of the round angled support strut for the overhang of the pool deck 14. There wasn't a open panel holder catch or lock so in windy conditions we would lock the panel closed with a multi tool, using closed square shape plier jaws as the key with handles in a T configuration as shown in the shot below. We used the same to unlock the balcony panel. This was to prevent the panel from banging as the balcony furniture wasn't heavy enough to prevent movement in high winds.

The locking mechanism slot required about a 1/4 inch square key to turn it. It was no problem having our cabin attendant doing the initial unlocking and opening for this and other cruises we've done with adjacent balconies.

DSCF0324.JPG.a1feefc715a45e5b39213825d97f57d1.JPG

Edited by robtulipe

I see some old topics on this and I've been on several RCI boats and have always had them open the balcony dividers without issue. However, we just got back from an NCL cruise(extended family trip, not my choice) and they outright refused. We pushed and pushed and even offered money and they said they could not open the balconies because of safety issues. I am going with my family(wife, 11 yo daughter and 9yo son) on Harmony in November and got two adjoining balconies with the plan that we would open the balcony divider so we can go between rooms. Ahead of my recent NCL trip I was told it should not be an issue to get the balcony doors open, but no matter how hard I pushed they wouldn't open them.

Has anyone gone recently on RCI or Harmony and tried this? Did you get any pushback or trouble?

On another note - does anyone know the tool that would open these on Harmony? I know now what I would have needed to bring on NCL Escape to open them(a square tipped driver).

TIA!

We asked our cabin guy to open the balconies and he did. We had them open for the entire week.

They have always opened the balconies for us when we have that type of cabin.

That's if probably at least 7x

It is much better to have only the balconies open together than have adjoining rooms with the door in between rooms.

That way you can keep people out.