Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 12/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, Fletcher said:

Of course I'd probably rather be on a cruise this Christmas 

A quiet Christmas for me (too quiet).  One of the circle of friends with whom I usually celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas (we take turns hosting) is immuno-compromised, so with the variant raging, we of course cancelled our get-together. 

Having spent Christmas alone for the second year in a row, I've been thinking about booking a Christmas cruise next year.  My friends will want to visit their family up North for the holidays next year - and a recently widowed friend of mine who is new to Silversea is on board the Moon and of course posting pictures of the marvelous time she is having!  

This train of thought brought back memories of my one and only Christmas cruise many years ago (1994),  which turned out to be quite memorable in an unexpected way....and is the reason I pay close attention to the muster drills.     I've been sharing the saga on a thread that asked "Have you ever sailed on a Christmas cruise?" if anyone wants to follow along.  

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

A quiet Christmas for me (too quiet).  One of the circle of friends with whom I usually celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas (we take turns hosting) is immuno-compromised, so with the variant raging, we of course cancelled our get-together. 

Having spent Christmas alone for the second year in a row, I've been thinking about booking a Christmas cruise next year.  My friends will want to visit their family up North for the holidays next year - and a recently widowed friend of mine who is new to Silversea is on board the Moon and of course posting pictures of the marvelous time she is having!  

This train of thought brought back memories of my one and only Christmas cruise many years ago (1994),  which turned out to be quite memorable in an unexpected way....and is the reason I pay close attention to the muster drills.     I've been sharing the saga on a thread that asked "Have you ever sailed on a Christmas cruise?" if anyone wants to follow along.  

Dolcevita I have no adequate button to react to your post.  And my verbal response would probably result in my post being removed for violating the approved language requirements.   Suffice it to say Eeeek!  I am now on the edge of my seat awaiting the further developments!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

This train of thought brought back memories of my one and only Christmas cruise many years ago (1994),  which turned out to be quite memorable in an unexpected way....and is the reason I pay close attention to the muster drills. 

That's a pretty crazy story. Memorable for sure. And not in a way that I'd like to remember!

Chris and I tried starting a Christmas travel tradition a few years back but eventually ran into the realities of work, the calendar, and now Covid.

Since we work for the Feds, if Christmas is a Tuesday or a Thursday, we often get a 4-day weekend as it's not practical to re-open Federal buildings for a single day between a Holiday and a weekend. And if Christmas is a Saturday or Sunday, we still get a 3-day weekend. So that gives us time to play with if we aren't on call, unless Christmas falls on a Wednesday.

For Christmas 2014 we went to Paris; 2015 was Barcelona, and 2016 we went to Geneva. The next few years I was either working for Christmas, or the calendar was not favorable. We were really looking forward to 2020 with its favorable calendar (Christmas was a Friday), to revive that tradition but we all know what happened there... So this year we dove back in with a miniature version of the tradition by going to DC for part of the weekend. We'll see what 2022 brings. I'm actually considering rescheduling the Finland trip for that week.

I would not be opposed to cruising during Christmas. Let someone else do the decorating and cooking? Even though we enjoy doing that stuff, maybe a break would be nice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Oh, did I mention we're having one of our rare snow/ice events here in the south Willamette Valley? IMG_5646.JPG.0e92eabf7d5e566e9263da0a1961ff01.JPG

What a lovely photo. We had another 10 inches of snow yesterday and more arriving. Mr. Blonde just left early to go demo a new pair of powder skis. As he left he said  "Are we crazy? We should be in Florida walking to the beach ".  I hope he has many more years skiing and at some time is like the man we see out every day skiing who is 85. Life is good.

• Like 4

On 12/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, frantic36 said:

My Sister-in-Law and her family live in Seattle. When we FaceTime them later I will check on the destruction wrought.😄

Hopefully I didn't mess up their fine city too much. 😉

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Chris and I tried starting a Christmas travel tradition a few years back...

Didn't they make a movie of your story starring Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon?

17 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Oh, did I mention we're having one of our rare snow/ice events here in the south Willamette Valley? 

I bet the winemakers are very, very happy to have those cold temps.

5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

the man we see out everyday skiing who is 85.

That's my dream right there.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bluebelle14 said:

Always look forward to your "funnies," Mysty.

We're on the Whisper and everything is great, as always.  The food is exceptional!

Very happy to hear that!  Reviews are mixed on other ships.   Enjoy your sail! 😁

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Very happy to hear that!  Reviews are mixed on other ships.   Enjoy your sail! 😁

The food during our three weeks on the Spirit was mostly excellent.  A few misses but nothing terrible.  Portions do seem larger - not a good thing in my opinion.

i wish everyone a happy, healthy and safe new year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mysty said:

you have been awol

but I have been enjoying following along 🙂!  I had a teenage grandson fighting covid, bad fever, started Christmas Day, now thankfully he is doing better.  The posts here have provided comfort and some smiles as we waited this out.  Heading to Carolina coast tomorrow to enjoy some bubbly in a marine environment.

• Like 2