Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, mysty said:

We enjoyed a Myster Classic pizza tonight.   He prefers his pizza fully loaded...bacon, chorizo, shallots, sliced olives, mushrooms and loads of mozzarella.  Baked on a pizza stone and transferred for cutting.

20220916_165402.thumb.jpg.4b3d788e61881d243fe4ed0e42a5086e.jpg

A fine example of the species.  Myster is doing great.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Enjoy is an understatement.  You sir are my hero!

Thanks ….. 

As  you are liking my humble offerings. Another to tempt. 

For some reason us Brits although we grow no oranges we make sublime marmalade and jams, and I have invented a baguette especially for a breakfast baguette.  

So imagine waking up with an overnight slow doughy rise of a nutty fruity baguette with a little wholemeal and honey in the blend, freshly baked and allowed to cool.    A lovely espresso or three and a very cold glass of Laurent Perrier to start a great, great day.  

995497BD-BD33-4BD7-BA18-B7219F02583D.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

So imagine waking up with an overnight slow doughy rise of a nutty fruity baguette with a little wholemeal and honey in the blend, freshly baked and allowed to cool.    A lovely espresso or three and a very cold glass of Laurent Perrier to start a great, great day.  

Jeff, please let us know if you ever open a bed and breakfast.  If you do, I'll be there come hell or inflation!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here comes the dessert baguette. Fresh from the oven and gone within minutes, you had to be really quick to get a slice, this was served all over the Caribbean Club Med resorts. A while ago now. I am sure master baker Jeff will find a way to make it even more yummy:

https://ns.clubmed.com/amn/2020/LP/ClubMedAtHome/ClubMed_White-Chocolate-Bread-Recipe.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

Here comes the dessert baguette. Fresh from the oven and gone within minutes, you had to be really quick to get a slice, this was served all over the Caribbean Club Med resorts. A while ago now. I am sure master baker Jeff will find a way to make it even more yummy:

https://ns.clubmed.com/amn/2020/LP/ClubMedAtHome/ClubMed_White-Chocolate-Bread-Recipe.pdf

Thanks Ducky, 

I hope you are going to get baking!

I’m more than a one trick pony!

I also got so fed up with driving all the way from Jeff Towers on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border to Brick Lane in London for bagels or bialys at 2am I decided I had to make them at home.  The last lot I bought.   I bought a dozen and I asked for the well done dark ones and by the time I got home there were only two left for the wife!  “Where’s the rest of the bagels!  You’ve been gone for five hours and come back with two bagels. How many have you eaten …….”

So I had to learn bagels.  And they had to pass the Brick Lane test ……

4C411331-5A79-4116-8A40-ED58F51CAF86.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

5 hours driving for decent bagels, yes, I can totally understand this. Also what happened to said bagels on the way back home🤣

I will soon get around to cook and bake as elaborately bordering on obsession as I used to, I‘m sure. 
Looking forward to the bagel recipe!

Thanks D,

Don’t really do recipes because once you understand the principles you can make any bread variation simply viscerally  if you get my drift.  If you always use my very highly hydrated approach then this approach enables you to use any mix of flour you fancy at any given moment.  I make my nutty, fruity, honey baguettes in exactly the same way as my standard ones. It is incredibly liberating not following recipes.  It just needs that initial confidence,

Bagels are very simple and are only different from a standard highly hydrated dough by the following.

It is a dryer mix say 60% hydration with added malt or honey to the mix.  Allowed a normal rise but not allowed the second rise or prove.  That’s the first difference.   That quick second rise from dough is done with the one or two minute boiling in malted water before baking. So you are not boiling bread that has just had the  second rise.  So the boil kills the yeast and stops further rising. If it has had the second rise you simply say “Naughty boy” - and knock it back for it’s boil.  The boiling both gives the chewy crust and retards the proving giving the denser chewy characteristics of the bagel.   The simple adjustments to that approach the second time you do it will decide things like ‘would i like it sweeter.  Would I like it more chewy.   What toppings do I want ie nigella, poppy, sesame etc’

Hope you give it a try. You will make better bagels than you can every buy because they will be exactly as you like them.  I really mean this.  Anyone and everyone can make better baguettes than they have ever tasted, even in the “baguette of the year” winners in Paris.  The same with bagels etc.  I like a darker bake as you can see.

I also love onion bialys which you can no longer buy in most UK bagel places so you have to make them if you want to eat them. In fact I haven’t seen them sold for over 40 years.

I’m going on again about bleedin’ bread.  I can bore for England on bread. I just feel that everyone can make their days happier by making bread.

0629E6B1-79C9-4346-9170-FF01DB6CF14A.jpeg

B81B4C6C-605F-4BDE-B32E-47D1A5494F25.jpeg

DF4EE9FD-B529-4687-8B5D-01912EBA2B24.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipad misspellings ….
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Quick post, while waiting to get into a zodiac and then a school bus to the Kangerlussuaq airport!

20220408_131414.thumb.jpg.3f7e6ed6a43c345e9eab2e6acd1b2233.jpg

A wonderful picture of doughy loveliness.  Those bottom two of perfectly innocent unadorned bagels are ones I can both smell and taste. I mean equal adoration to the others and supremely Ta muchly.

For what it's worth I award you the Grand Medal of Bagel Chewiness.  Please go forth and multiply. For what it's worth ignoring likes and lack of likes you are henceforth entitled to the nom du plume of FlyingScotSailors GMoBC.

🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just a shorty to say a bit of a belated adieu to Coolers.

Seems like several life-times ago when on a rather rainy day nearly ten years ago I thought I’d ask for a place for people who meant well, but nothing much better to do to hang out …….. and I never really thought it would last much longer than a day or so.  

But now with around 35,000 posts and  1.4m views I’ve decided to duck out and wish all well.

Jeff x

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry to see you leave again Jeff.I was enjoying your food knowledge and am intending to try to source

the ingredients for your pizza dough.

I don't post very often but do enjoy all the posts here from far and wide.

PS In New Zealand as many think we don't just drink instant coffee ,I never do.

We love a good flat white ,haha

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Just a shorty to say a bit of a belated adieu to Coolers.

Seems like several life-times ago when on a rather rainy day nearly ten years ago I thought I’d ask for a place for people who meant well, but nothing much better to do to hang out …….. and I never really thought it would last much longer than a day or so.  

But now with around 35,000 posts and  1.4m views I’ve decided to duck out and wish all well.

Jeff x

J, I'm going to hope that the "heart " reaction is understood to mean "thank you for posting" and not "sayonara".  It seemed that you were once again enjoying the ambiance of the Cooler Bar.  I don't think there is a limit on views or posts so yours are definitely not sending the Cooler into dangerous territory.   Your stool is nestled snugly at the bar and will be kept dusted. 

• Like 5

Thank you my to all of my cooler friends for all of your kind words of condolence and respect upon the loss of our Queen. God save the King. A Beautiful portrait of her Majesty was painted by an Italian artist that lived in my home for a year in the 60’s, Pietro Annigoni, that  I Have attached. I Must admit that it is only my second favourite portrait of her. I Also Shared a very special moment with Her Majesty once but that isn’t for public consumption. A Truly remarkable lady. A Lifetime of service and an education to all on how to live your life. I Truly hope that my humble tribute to an amazing lady that devoted her entire life to the service that she was born to Will not be reported as harassment as all of my other posts are. Tomorrow will be a very sad day.

9DA53702-476D-46B2-915A-BBA04D2E00DF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1