Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I have increased my walking as my weight has plateaued at 82 KG (180 lb ).

Amazing bird life. One day I came across a large bird being attacked by a pair of pee wees and a flock of noisy miners. It was on the ground with It's wings covering it's head. I intervened and got rid of the attackers. forgot to take my camera out then. It took a minute or 2 for it to move it's wings and then just lay there looking at me for a minute then flew back to a tree. This is it.

IMG_4326.thumb.jpg.10a489a66b24b0e916472c1d5e15c4f2.jpg

IMG_4327.thumb.jpg.d369b2a74682f02cda37b2d286544d56.jpg

This one is a Plumed frogmouth which is a rare sub type of the Marbled frogmouth but the largest colony known is only 40 Km from our place.

A touching scene the next day when I was close by. I heard a flapping of wings and I am sure it was this bird. It flew past me at head height and looked at me. Then when it was about 2 metres in front turned and flew left again looking at me then flew off.

On another of my walks I came upon the nest of a pair of black swans.

IMG_4407.thumb.jpg.f5d9bd1eb6b4322d4eb3c5a79391756e.jpg

IMG_4408.thumb.jpg.5e84ca2b1cce40a1e30f3db55ee9e46c.jpg

IMG_4409.thumb.jpg.410046d6c47b9838f3c6d9318400732d.jpg

Truly a lovely place in this world,

• Like 10

Your evening posted pictures make a lovely wakeup for me to look at in the early morning, drron.  While our friends in North America are all asleep.

I check on emails, and then have a quick look at the Cooler, while I have my early morning tea.

Lola

• Like 7

On 9/15/2023 at 8:35 AM, lincslady said:

Your evening posted pictures make a lovely wakeup for me to look at in the early morning, drron.  While our friends in North America are all asleep.

I check on emails, and then have a quick look at the Cooler, while I have my early morning tea.

Lola

Same here, first cup of tea in bed at 5 and after checking the mails and news a quick look of what you all have been up to😊

Preferring tea over coffee in a country of coffee drinkers is where my nickname comes from. My stepfather declared this being not at all the done thing in our little ultraliberal country, so it was declared to be the eccentric behaviour of an utterly spoilt Grand Duchess. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Same here, first cup of tea in bed at 5 and after checking the mails and news a quick look of what you all have been up to😊

Preferring tea over coffee in a country of coffee drinkers is where my nickname comes from. My stepfather declared this being not at all the done thing in our little ultraliberal country, so it was declared to be the eccentric behaviour of an utterly spoilt Grand Duchess. 

It seems that ultraliberalism is limited when it comes down to beverage choice.  😅  I would choose eccentric over staid and stuffy any day.  Well done @Grand Duchess !

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grand Duchess said:

But it is followed up  by two cups of strong cafetiere coffee with my breakfast (Greek style yogurt with granola and a bit of fruit,  for anyone who is interested) later.  That is all the coffee I need for the day.  Oh, maybe I am  starting something here - sorry, breakfasts are not all that interesting.  Ignore me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, lincslady said:

But it is followed up  by two cups of strong cafetiere coffee with my breakfast (Greek style yogurt with granola and a bit of fruit,  for anyone who is interested) later.  That is all the coffee I need for the day.  Oh, maybe I am  starting something here - sorry, breakfasts are not all that interesting.  Ignore me.

Nonsense Lola!  You are not to be ignored! Breakfast choices are interesting.   The old standards are rarely enjoyed for breakfast chez nous.   Now the bacon, eggs and home fries have been elevated to the "breakfast for dinner" category.  😁

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

Breakfast is not really part of my daily life, but on holidays it is a must, especially when I am visiting Northern Gemany or the UK. Then it can get a bit over the top, think A.A. Gill's "Breakfast at the Wolseley"... Best breakfast ever was in a country hotel near Edinburgh. Kedgeree and white and black pudding and eggs any imaginable way, just heaven.

In Switzerland, breakfast tends to be on the sweet side, which is not to my taste so much. Apart from a really fresh well made Birchermüesli, of course. Yes it's "müesli"  not "müsli", which translates as "little mouse". "Müsli" however is a fixed term in the German language now, since the correct Swissgerman word seems to be difficult to pronounce, so dishes of small mice (also a term of endearment) are ordered every day😊

• Like 6

The difference for most of us is breakfast is fairly early at home, but after say 9 a.m. on holiday, by which time you may feel like having the 'full English' or Eggs Benedict or whatever.

I didn't realise you needed an umlaut on muesli, I admit.  Mine is called granola, made by my daughter-in-law, who is a treasure, so not full of sugar.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Bacon and egg for dinner here too sometimes.  But what wine to choose?  

Here, we fly by the seat of our pants.  Since there are no strictures on what one must have when dining on an egg,  we wing it.  Sometimes red and sometimes white.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

We live on a canal. Just now in the garden on the edge of the canal and this fellow swims past.

IMG_4486.thumb.JPEG.18bb54efb9aa91846a4333ee8a182255.JPEG

IMG_4488.thumb.JPEG.bf925368a73e966b9f080220a2f56110.JPEG

The lake our canal runs into is not always open to the sea. Have never seen a ray here before.

Brings back memories!  There was a ray that used to live under our dock in Fort Lauderdale. And of course our dog (standard poodle) was fascinated whenever he saw it coming or going. 

• Like 3