Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

10 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Being confused about what is my own favourite piece of music it occurred to me that it’s perfectly acceptable and indeed consistent to have your very favourite changing moment by moment.

It is what is right for that moment than a life-long commitment. 

Jeff

I recently treated myself to a new stereo system so spent time trawling through my CD collection…l realised that on every disc there were only one or two songs that l liked….in the old days of cassette tapes l could make up my own favourite compilation but these days have to just flick through to select what l like along with constantly having to change the disc! 
My music mood changes regularly! 😊

• Like 2

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

So, we coolers are Olympics watchers, a bit partial to our countrymen and women, lovers of good cuisine & wine, cruising, and of note lately, a good book.  I find this delightful.

I read science fiction and fantasy, although I have downloaded Mysty's latest mystery suggestion and will be reading it soon. Thought of you all when I saw this posted by a dear friend on FB.

No photo description available.

Good morning😀......I am with you on watching the Olympics. I have been watching (at least some of them....every day). Besides, Simone, Kudos go to Katie Ladecky! She won the gold again yesterday in the 800 Freestyle....for the 4th Olympics in a row!!!! She is 2nd to Michael Phelps for total amount of medals.......(I can't see anyone beating his total number of 28).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MissSophia said:

I recently treated myself to a new stereo system so spent time trawling through my CD collection…l realised that on every disc there were only one or two songs that l liked….in the old days of cassette tapes l could make up my own favourite compilation but these days have to just flick through to select what l like along with constantly having to change the disc! 

You can do exactly the same - in fact much better than the old cassettes - and you have many options to make your “playlist”.  

A “perfect”  option might be to connect your tv to the stereo - if you can using optical cable - but if not then HDMI - and if not then RCA cables.

What you then do is add Youtube app to the tv and within the basic Youtube Music offering is search  music for your favourite version of your favourite tracks and create a playlist of all your favourite tracks and then you play the playlist on the TV and it will play through your new stereo.  Make several playlists for different moods or time of day.  I have reggae, ragtime, jazz, of several flavours as examples.  What youtube will then do is also suggest music based on your tastes that you might also enjoy.

This will give you a full super duper video stereo jukebox of all of your favourite tracks.  You can also easily simply add tracks even for the cds you do not own.  All of your favourite music is likely free on Youtube Music basic. You coud also do the same with Amazon Music if you have it.  You could also add Tunein Radio to your TV to listen to virtually any station anywhere.

If you cannot add the apps to your TV you can achieve the same by buying an Amazon FireStick.  I have one on every TV we have and just bought a few of their latest.  They are extraordinary value for the quality of what they do.   It is generally much better than even my expensive TV’s internal apps. They have short cuts to both Amazon and Youtube on several remote controls.  It is a great solution for you. 

No one will believe this but I spend a fair amount on streaming services, but the best by very far is paying the Youtube monthly charge for advert free.  We watch more Youtube than all terrestrial tv   and other streams.  It essentially learns what you want and provides a customised TV ad-free channel.  

So Im currently “obsessed” with stuff like understanding daily Roman street life and living in insulae, and daily normal life in out of city China, obviously cruises, travel, social history etc. Another obsession isextremely early ie thousands of year old technology.  Not just pyramids but ancient precision stone work that we couldn’t do today for example in Peru. We also like “walking” around places we know through many people’s”walk” videos.  We like seeing during advent what all the Christmas markets we know look like.  We love seeing restaurant visits etc.  There is so much we learn from.  It is basically completely unlimited when compared to “waiting” for a topic of interest to be broadcast on terrestrial TV.

I love learning and Youtube is a perfect resource with almost everything and anything you could ever wish for. The range of commercial programming on Youtube is extraordinary and it isn’t about viewing people’s content but other factual content.  We also  like watching live camera feeds around the world.  

If you need any help or tips - ask.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MissSophia said:

Or you could burn the CDs to MP3 files and play them on your home stereo system from a media server. 😉 I actually have done that, and I have a copy of most of the music on my phone as well. It's even easier to bluetooth the phone to my TV then I can play the music on the stereo system.

I have a little brother who is a techie so that helps. All of our CDs are tucked away in a closet now and I pretty much never bring them out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Or you could burn the CDs to MP3 files and play them on your home stereo system from a media server. 😉 I actually have done that, and I have a copy of most of the music on my phone as well. It's even easier to bluetooth the phone to my TV then I can play the music on the stereo system.

I have a little brother who is a techie so that helps. All of our CDs are tucked away in a closet now and I pretty much never bring them out.

Snap!

I actually deleted out that option from my reply as it involves a fair amount of cash and another box and remote control, more cables and the need to rip all the CDs to the server.  In the old days I had a Sony Jukebox would stored hundreds of CDs in a carousel. 

Bluetooth to the TV from ipad is great but simply using the TV as the streaming server seemed to me the simplest and most elegant and most ears would not tell the difference between that and a super media server.  In pratice it might be from what S. has said that she might only want a track or two from each CD …

I also have an Ambeo and decent sub which makes my set up decent. Obviously I can stream from the TV and/or ipad to the Ambeo/+sub if I don’t want the TV on say whilst reading the papers.  However my latest TV is good enough hat we don’t bother

And it gives here the option to watch the video track as well as the sound if the mood takes her.

I think S might favour simplicity and less cost hence me deleting that option after I thought about it.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

5 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Is it free?

Jeff

No. Monthly subscription. It's handy, though because you can Bluetooth it to a sound system. Or in the car. Or even on a motorcycle if it has a sound system (which mine does not). 

22 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

No. Monthly subscription. It's handy, though because you can Bluetooth it to a sound system. Or in the car. Or even on a motorcycle if it has a sound system (which mine does not). 

Isn’t it a perfect solution to  a completel different set of needs?

I’ve used Tidal, Spotify and Apple Music.   I currently have none simply because I don’t need it.  I’m content with the car radio, don’t need loss-less audio, I don’t ride a bike, I don’t need the unlimited library, and at home(s) the range of music I’m listening to tends to be relatively restricted and not to be the latest stuff, but pretty all of the stuff I listen to is readily available for free.  

Also, when at home I like to watch the concert or see the Pavarotti or Eagles or Joe Cocker performance whilst listening to the music.  But I can also listen to it for free without viewing it. 

So I cannot justify any monthly music sub because there is zero need for it and I think that as a generalisation it becomes less attractive/viable the older you get and the smaller the range of stuff you listen to. 

I do agree though it certainly is an option though if you want to pay a continuous monthly sub simply to create a playlist 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

28 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Also, Sonos if you do not have a built in speaker system. If you can afford an SS cruise you can afford both. 😇

Yes,  if you need both.

All Sophia says she wants is to listen to a few of her favourite tracks from a few of some of her CD’s.  As many of us use to do, she use to simply make a cassette and play the cassette.  Some of us Brits were content to do this with the Top Twenty programmes from the radio.  

She has a TV.  She has a new stereo, She doesn’t want an  expensive new media streaming system to attatch to her new stereo system and then need to rip her whole cd collection to it and then create playlists.  She doesn’t need to maintain a monthly streaming subscription.  She doesn’t want a house-wide sound system. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Yes,  if you need both.

Jeff

Now, I have to confess that I have no idea how to work any of it. DH turns on the TV, the stereo system etc. When we purchase a new property the 1st thing he looks at is the AV equipment and the equipment room for air, furnace etc. 

He would not know how to work the dishwasher, microwave, etc. We like it this way. He does not screw up my kitchen & I do not mess with the  AV equipment.

If necessary we both would be able to figure it out. I do know how to adjust the temperature on the thermostats. LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Now, I have to confess that I have no idea how to work any of it. DH turns on the TV, the stereo system etc. When we purchase a new property the 1st thing he looks at is the AV equipment and the equipment room for air, furnace etc. 

He would not know how to work the dishwasher, microwave, etc. We like it this way. He does not screw up my kitchen & I do not mess with the  AV equipment.

If necessary we both would be able to figure it out. I do know how to adjust the temperature on the thermostats. LOL

TL,

A solution would be for you to send your DH to Sophia with his cheque book. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

1 minute ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

TL,

A solution would be for you to send your BH to Sophia with his cheque book. 

Jeff

When we bought our lake home 2 years ago he replaced 8 televisions with Smart ones, new Sonos systems, new alarm system, replaced built in speakers with better ones. We have music everywhere. Don't get me started on the ski home. 

Sophia, are you sure you want him to invade your home? 

🤣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

When we bought our lake home 2 years ago he replaced 8 televisions with Smart ones, new Sonos systems, new alarm system, replaced built in speakers with better ones. We have music everywhere. Don't get me started on the ski home. 

Sophia, are you sure you want him to invade your home? 

🤣

Wasn’t the Lake Home intended to be a tranquil antidote and escape from the kerfuddlement (a new word I have invented to replace a gap in our language) of the complexity of your main home?

And how many extra ears and eyes did you feel the need to cater for whilst beside the lake and how many burglars are you now expecting as a result of all this new shiny stuff?

You are adding to an already complicated stressful life with more stuff to go wrong much of which - dare I say - you may not really need unless you like to spend your life with installers and repairers. 

And don’t get me started on your new ski home! 😉

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

8 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Wasn’t the Lake Home intended to be a tranquil antidote and escape from the kerfuddlement (a new word I have invented to replace a gap in our language) of the complexity of your main home?

And how many extra ears and eyes did you feel the need to cater for whilst beside the lake and how many burglars are you now expecting as a result of all this new shiny stuff?

And don’t get me started on your new ski home! 😉

Jeff

We all live differently and I enjoy Classical background music during the day at low volume & some Neil Young era music on the outside deck overlooking the water while sipping wine.

We have a large home & we do not set the alarm, however it is a guy thing with my DH. No guns or knives needed. 

Different strokes for different folks. We are happy.

BTW the lake home is our main home. Ski home is a bonus

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, TrulyBlonde said:

We all live differently and I enjoy Classical background music during the day at low volume & some Neil Young era music on the outside deck overlooking the water while sipping wine.

We have a large home & we do not set the alarm, however it is a guy thing with my DH. No guns or knives needed. 

Different strokes for different folks. We are happy.

Happiness is what is fulfilled  of what we imagine and aspire  it should be.  Sometimes the process of fulfilment can be the cause of greater needs.  It follows that simplicity might have been the real answer all along. 

But I’m just an old confused lush.

I love hearing about your life and your enjoyment of it.    🙂

Jeff

Here another quick and easy light meal.  Myster makes it for our dinner on nights when we are looking for something different.  It may look like a dog's breakfast but it is yummy.

445374198_1025446522255712_2803157295405001754_na.thumb.jpg.c91dd85cfb6f237c7c2575e6ec979756.jpg

IMG_0187.JPG.d9900d8484328bb0bedff5224f9b7fb5.JPG

The above recipe is an image so you can download it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1