Goofy Questions from Cruise Newbie

KathyP228

First ever cruise:

Nautica Baltic Sea

1. Will we receive boarding passes via email prior to embarkation day? I have a personalized large

Oceania brochure with our guest registration, itinerary, luggage tags, etc. Is this all we need?

2. Our travel agent has arranged for us to board in Helsinki on day 2 of cruise (ship departs from

Stockholm the day before). It arrives in Helsinki at 10 a.m. and departs at 6 p.m. What time should we

arrive for boarding in Helsinki?

3. How much of a problem is sea sickness for newbies? I plan to take Meclizine. Any other

recommendations?

Thanks for helping we Newbies!

The documents should have all the information that you will need. You will need to show your passports. Make sure that you have all the visas that you might need. I always bring a copy of our reservation, or whatever you get from your TA.

I would be at the pier by whatever time the ship is supposed to dock. You might want to check with your TA to see what the latest time is that you can board. I don't know, but I think there might be a time that you need to be aboard before the ship leaves port.

I have a terrible time with all types of motion sickness, can't even go on a swing. I use the sea sickness patches, wristbands and OTC meds, as needed. Ginger candies too. You never know what mood the ocean is going to be in. We did a Baltic cruise a few years ago and the seas were fairly smooth and did not make me sick. It just depends.

Good luck and have fun!!

Not sure when you're sailing, but you should get an email 3 weeks prior to your cruise with your "Final cruise vacation summary". You could print that, or the guest information sheet that is also part of the email, or something from the Blue Book that you already received.

I would ask your TA to find out what time you can board probably by 11 am would be fine

As stated just print off the Final cruise summary email that is all you need plus your passport & credit card

You might also take the letter with permission for boarding late into the cruise

Enjoy

Ask your doctor first. Taking Bonine daily starting 3 days prior to the cruise let me eat heartily through a bad trip to Bermuda that few could, er, stomach. My wife never gets seasick and was on green apples....

Regarding Q#2, are you wanting to board as early as possible to have breakfast in the GDR (Grand Dining Room) and settle in, or were you wanting to spend the day sightseeing in Helsinki and board as late as possible?

Re: Q#2

We will have spent 5 days in Helsinki with family, so would like to board as soon as we can to enjoy the day on the ship.

If you want to maximize your time on the ship, I would suggest getting to the pier about 2 hours after she berths.

This way, they will have all of the normal distractions of porting finished before you arrive with a new twist on things. :D

Enjoy!!!

Regarding Q#2, are you wanting to board as early as possible to have breakfast in the GDR (Grand Dining Room) and settle in, or were you wanting to spend the day sightseeing in Helsinki and board as late as possible?

The ship docks at 10am, breakfast will be over in the GDR and possibly even Terrace, especially by the time they get on board.

If you think you will be seasick you probably will be. I've never thought about it, and other than in extreme motion combined with too much food and drink I've never felt any effects from the movement.

I wouldn't take too many precautions before hand. You can always get meclizine at Guest Relations. I would wait and see how you react to it.

Stomach upset is not always seasickness, generally not on a cruise. Dizziness on the other hand probably would be.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mr Wonderful gets sick just looking at the waves....while standing on the beach! So he uses Bonine. If it's particularly bad for him in the evening he takes dramamine and sleeps through it.

I'm going to offer different advice ---if the ship comes in at 10, hundreds of passengers are going to want off. that. ship...!!

I'd probably wait an hour or so to wait for those passengers who are anxious to disembark to do so.

You will be using the same gangway they are--walking upstream is not fun and wouldn't even be particularly safe.

And then checking in at the door will be a lot easier on everybody if there are not lines of people waiting to leave!

They probably will not let you in the port area without a seapass card so you will have to wait for an official from the ship to come & confirm you are on the ship

as above arrive about 11 am or check with Oceania before you leave for their advice

They probably will not let you in the port area without a seapass card so you will have to wait for an official from the ship to come & confirm you are on the ship

as above arrive about 11 am or check with Oceania before you leave for their advice

I think the last part is the correct answer. Ask Oceania how they want to handle it and show up when they say to be there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Oceania will probably have a local ship's agent who will be on the pier expecting you, and who will expedite your passage (via taxi or otherwise) to the ship.

That reminds me - as newbies, it's always good to take the ship's daily newsletter ashore with you. It usually list the name and local phone number of the ship's agent, just in case something happens to you ashore or you're delayed in traffic and at risk of missing the sailaway!

Definitely call Oceania directly about boarding mid cruise. I would try to speak to a manager. Ask about documentation, boarding luggage, etc. Anything else you can think of. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE LAST MINUTE. Doing things out of the ordinary always has the possibility of becoming fouled up.

Personally I would try to be there at 10AM and just plan on waiting around for a while. But that is me.

Seasickness is very personal. It all depends on you and to some extent weather conditions. Have you been on a boat before (e.g. ferry)? Do you get seasick/motionsick? I would talk to your doctor and bring a variety of medicine with you depending on the doctors recommendation.

Personally as long as I am outside and can see the ocean I have not gotten seasick even in very rough weather.

My wife once got seasick on a 23 ft motorboat but not on a cruise ship even in moderately rough weather.