Tipping with the unlimited beverage package

Your math is off. The steward does not get the whole tip/DSC/etc. It is doled out, so it has been said and outlined here on CC, to many people ... steward, head waiter, waiter, assistant wait staff, laundry staff, etc.

If you are going to quote me, PLEASE read the post first. My math is not wrong. DSC for suites on NCL is $17.50 x 5 = 87.50 x 7 nights = $612.50

Everyone knows that the DSC fees do not all get to the employees. Ask any cruise employee you meet. I was making the point that would it be NEAT if the workers really got all of the DSC fees. That is why we tip cash as well. Before you start cheerleading and get your pom poms in a razzle, please read the entire post first.

So we will be on the Epic in a few weeks in the Mediterranean. If we tip extra, should we tip in dollars or Euros?

I doubt that it matters -- you could tip with Mexican Pesos or with junk bonds and they'd figure out how to convert it into something they can spend/send home.

I have been on several NCL cruises and pother lines and never tipped extra and the service is no different too so one waving $ bills around

I can guarantee that's not the case! I often tip the bartender at the bars where I am spending the most time. I consistanly get faster service and larger pours. You might enjoy standing there tapping your card on the bar hoping to attract the attention of a bartender. I prefer having them recognize me and serve me as quick as possible.

If you are going to quote me, PLEASE read the post first. My math is not wrong. DSC for suites on NCL is $17.50 x 5 = 87.50 x 7 nights = $612.50

Everyone knows that the DSC fees do not all get to the employees. Ask any cruise employee you meet. I was making the point that would it be NEAT if the workers really got all of the DSC fees. That is why we tip cash as well. Before you start cheerleading and get your pom poms in a razzle, please read the entire post first.

Our next cruise the room service daily service charge for room cleaning is over $600 (5 in suite). Can you imagine if the worker got all $600 for the week? Just think if you cleaned 7 cabins a day at that rate. That would be over $4000 for one week.

I did read the post. You stated that 1 person, the steward, got the whole $600 per cabin each week. Thus potentially getting $4,000 a week to "clean 7 cabins a day".

I commented that the steward would NEVER get the whole amount of money. The money gets doled out/distributed/shared to MANY other employees and departments.

Whoa, not sure why you are attacking this poster. I read your post the same way they did. You stated one person, when in theory that 612.50 is split between your steward plus all the behind the scenes people that make the cruise ship run (laundry, waiters, food prep, etc). No one knows for sure how much of it goes to the employees or not though. I’m in the same camp as you, I tip extra for drinks, extra for room stewards, etc. I like doing it, can do it, and will continue doing it. What anyone else does or doesn’t do is of no concern to me.

Not sure why I'm getting into this BUT, please read this post again and take note of the bold statement and the word in red. He did not say the cabin steward received all the DSC.

Everyone has different experiences. We normally always add more to the auto drink gratuity or leave cash. I have never noticed better service because of it. Usually they are so busy they don't really know who is leaving cash on the bar but scoop up all the bills at once. Never had bad service either if we did not tip extra.

I find it funny that some comment leaving a dollar on the counter makes the bartender already have their drinks made before walking up to the bar. That made me laugh.

This upcoming cruise will be the first time with the drink package. Since gratuities are already pre-paid at 20% I don't know if I will be adding more money. I just have to convince myself to not feel guilty about it because there is no reason to.

I just realize that the bartenders and staff don't see these auto gratuities NCL is charging us for which is why I tend to feel guilty. Our next cruise the room service daily service charge for room cleaning is over $600 (5 in suite). Can you imagine if the worker got all $600 for the week? Just think if you cleaned 7 cabins a day at that rate. That would be over $4000 for one week. We all would be applying for jobs cleaning rooms at NCL. :o

Not sure why I'm getting into this BUT, please read this post again and take note of the bold statement and the word in red. He did not say the cabin steward received all the DSC.

Probably the same reason the rest of us are, it’s a rainy Wednesday night with nothing on TV.

The next sentence states if you cleaned 7 rooms, you would make over $4000, thus implying the one steward gets all the money.

Probably the same reason the rest of us are, it’s a rainy Wednesday night with nothing on TV.

The next sentence states if you cleaned 7 rooms, you would make over $4000, thus implying the one steward gets all the money.

Both sentences contain the word If. That two letter word identifies that he is well aware that the DSC is not going only to the cabin steward.

Can you imagine if the worker got all $600 for the week? Just think if you cleaned 7 cabins a day at that rate.

Anyway, stay dry & enjoy your evening.

Can you imagine if the worker got all $600 for the week? Just think if you cleaned 7 cabins a day at that rate. That would be over $4000 for one week. We all would be applying for jobs cleaning rooms at NCL. :o

“If” doesn’t come into play. “Just think if you” (singular), cleaning 7 cabins, making $4000 for one week. In this example, all the money goes to one person.

I really don’t care, but the poster got nasty with another poster who was simply trying to make the point that the DSC is supposedly shared.

And no, I still wouldn’t apply for a job cleaning rooms at NCL for that rate. I imagine they deal with a lot of really gross stuff,

Can you imagine if the worker got all $600 for the week? Just think if you cleaned 7 cabins a day at that rate. That would be over $4000 for one week. We all would be applying for jobs cleaning rooms at NCL. :o

“If” doesn’t come into play. “Just think if you” (singular), cleaning 7 cabins, making $4000 for one week. In this example, all the money goes to one person.

I really don’t care, but the poster got nasty with another poster who was simply trying to make the point that the DSC is supposedly shared.

And no, I still wouldn’t apply for a job cleaning rooms at NCL for that rate. I imagine they deal with a lot of really gross stuff,

Thank you for your support. I am glad some people saw the same thing that I did. I am really enjoying the banter, though! :')

Having worked for years in the service industry I consider myself a good tipper. I agree. I know we have pre paid the gratuity but a little extra is not going to hurt me and it does exactly what it stands for:

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

The others have a point. If the server knows I will give them a few dollars they give me prompt service.

I bartended years ago, which taught me the life lesson about tipping anyone in in the service industry. As much as my husband and I do tip, have to call foul on T.I.P.S

Nope:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tip-sheet/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was this a prank by the bartender? ‘Thanks for the tip, here’s some bacon.’ This is the funniest reply I have seen in a long time. Thank you for the laugh!

Adding bacon or other items to a Bloody Mary is quite appropriate and a bartender or bar to do so is somewhat upscale.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/smoky-bloody-marys-3362503