Tipping with the unlimited beverage package

We usually try to book our cruises with a promotion that includes the drink package and thus gratuities as well.

For the last couple cruises I usually tip $1 about every 2 drinks with the same bartender. We drink plenty. (We tip more for our favorites at the end)

I'm curious if such a small amount would ever be considered "offensive" or even laughable? In the states it very well could be. Some seem to honestly appreciate the tip and I would say service has even better.

What are your tip amounts? Do you drink close to 10+ on a sea day? Thank you.

Honestly I think the bartenders frequently see $0 tips anywhere up to $1+ a drink. So, no, I don't think anything is offensive. Everyone does it differently. I, personally, don't like carrying cash or anything else around with me on ship, so the last day I will go around and give a thank you card and cash tip to those who we really spent some time with. Others prefer to tip as they go. Maybe, once, I pre-emptively tipped a large amount because I knew we would be regulars.

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure what kind of validation you are looking for here. You already pay 20% gratuity on the packages and then you say you tip a buck every couple of drinks and then you give more to your favorites. That's really nice.

So, how could that be in any way be considered insulting? If you want to tip above the already added gratuity do what you feel is appropriate for YOU and your budget.

We usually try to book our cruises with a promotion that includes the drink package and thus gratuities as well.

For the last couple cruises I usually tip $1 about every 2 drinks with the same bartender. We drink plenty. (We tip more for our favorites at the end)

I'm curious if such a small amount would ever be considered "offensive" or even laughable? In the states it very well could be. Some seem to honestly appreciate the tip and I would say service has even better.

What are your tip amounts? Do you drink close to 10+ on a sea day? Thank you.

Not rude at all. Much appreciated.

We tip $1 per drink to regular bartenders. By the 2nd or 3rd day, our drinks are sometimes automatically made when we come up to the bar.

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure what kind of validation you are looking for here. You already pay 20% gratuity on the packages and then you say you tip a buck every couple of drinks and then you give more to your favorites. That's really nice.

So, how could that be in any way be considered insulting? If you want to tip above the already added gratuity do what you feel is appropriate for YOU and your budget.

Well gratuities that are only apparent on a paycheck are less appreciated at the time of serving. They begin to appear like regular wages. However, small tips in the states can be perceived mockinlgy in the states.

To be clear, I am against the idea of tips in most circumstances in the states but I understand there are differences with cruises.

I'm trying to maximize the level of service we receive.

In that I've cruised in suites, I haven't had to pay the 20% gratuity on the UBP (the policy changed June 2017, suites booked after that date will have to pay it), so I leave $1 to $2 per drink. I'm personally glad that the suites will now be charged the 20% gratuity, because I won't have to carry around dollar bills.

Well gratuities that are only apparent on a paycheck are less appreciated at the time of serving. They begin to appear like regular wages. However, small tips in the states can be perceived mockinlgy in the states.

To be clear, I am against the idea of tips in most circumstances in the states but I understand there are differences with cruises.

well said

It is not "small tips", you have already paid TWENTY PERCENT gratuity. Anything above that is a major bonus. The service you receive will be just fine.

Edited by ColeThornton

Tipping a quarter or less perhaps. $1 or more per drink at a regular U.S. land bar is not offfensive. But you are on a cruise that requires a 20% tip already You are also tipping an international crew who would appreciate any extra they can get. So no tip is not offensive, and $1 or more will get you preferential treatment. If you give an extra tip occasionally or routinely, the waiters will seek you out, even going across the pool deck or through the theater to bring you your favorite drinks.

Here's what I do.

Give your cabin Steward a $20 at the beginning of the cruise. You will never be happier.

Give the bartender at the pool bar a $20 when you first get on board. they will remember you ALWAYS and will never wait for a cocktail.

I have even gotten cocktails when the bar isnt open yet because of this. I got a snickers bar in my Bloody Mary, skewers of shrimp, bacon....nobody else did.

Here's what I do.

Give your cabin Steward a $20 at the beginning of the cruise. You will never be happier.

Give the bartender at the pool bar a $20 when you first get on board. they will remember you ALWAYS and will never wait for a cocktail.

I have even gotten cocktails when the bar isnt open yet because of this. I got a snickers bar in my Bloody Mary, skewers of shrimp, bacon....nobody else did.

I don’t understand the snickers bar in s Bloody Mary I wouldn’t be a fan.

But I usually bring ones sling on a cruise just for this purpose. Not that I think I get better service but that 20% gratuity spread out through all the bartenders isn’t overly extravagant. Even when I don’t have a drink package I have tipped extra to the bartenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that I've cruised in suites, I haven't had to pay the 20% gratuity on the UBP (the policy changed June 2017, suites booked after that date will have to pay it), so I leave $1 to $2 per drink. I'm personally glad that the suites will now be charged the 20% gratuity, because I won't have to carry around dollar bills.

My understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) is that the 20% was included with the promo before the change in June 2017. I also did not have to pay the gratuity on our upcoming cruise (Bliss Haven) because I booked before the change.

That said, I carry $1 bills around and typically tip additional per drink and more at the end of cruise to my favorite bartender(s).

I don’t understand the snickers bar in s Bloody Mary I wouldn’t be a fan.

But I usually bring ones sling on a cruise just for this purpose. Not that I think I get better service but that 20% gratuity spread out through all the bartenders isn’t overly extravagant. Even when I don’t have a drink package I have tipped extra to the bartenders.

Agree.

However, small tips in the states can be perceived mockinlgy in the states.

While this can be true in the states; the context is usually more like tipping $1 on a $100 restaurant bill. In that case it’s insulting and the server would probably prefer no tip. When you are talking about tipping with drinks, $1 per drink isn’t a bad tip except for higher end places, and $1 per two drinks isn’t low enough to be insulting. A nickel or dime would be.

In the context of the ship however, the bartenders very often receive no tip due to the gratuities being pre-paid. I believe any tip in that situation will be well received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a one dollar kinda guy with our servers. Don't mind doing it at all and it seems to be always appreciated. Over an hour period, with many of the guests tipping a dollar per drink or per serving, That's a nice additional amount for the server. A dollar here and a dollar there adds up.

It is not "small tips", you have already paid TWENTY PERCENT gratuity. Anything above that is a major bonus. The service you receive will be just fine.

Agreed. A $1 tip on a $10 drink is an extra 10% tip. It all adds up for the person receiving said tips.

I'm the same. I'll include a $1 cash tip with my drink. It keeps the drinks flowing and sometimes I get some extra service (like the bartender saving my seat for me while I go back to the cabin for a bit). But, that's true of home, too.

I ordinarily tip a little more than 18%-20% when I'm at a restaurant or drinking establishment at home, too.

I cannot understand the logic of this constant tipping for everything which Americans do but no one else in the world. You have already paid 20% which is excessive why give more? I have been on several NCL cruises and pother lines and never tipped extra and the service is no different too so one waving $ bills around

I cannot understand the logic of this constant tipping for everything which Americans do but no one else in the world. You have already paid 20% which is excessive why give more? I have been on several NCL cruises and pother lines and never tipped extra and the service is no different too so one waving $ bills around

Because it's fun for us to share the luxury we're experiencing being on a cruise by giving just a little extra to people working at a pace that would probably kill me 😉

It's kind of like the logic we use when we give food, medical supplies, and other aid to people less fortunate. Dare I even mention military assistance?:rolleyes:

I cannot understand the logic of this constant tipping for everything which Americans do but no one else in the world.

Thats because most American restaurant help is paid crap compared to lots of other countries;) They truly depend on tips

While this can be true in the states; the context is usually more like tipping $1 on a $100 restaurant bill. In that case it’s insulting and the server would probably prefer no tip. When you are talking about tipping with drinks, $1 per drink isn’t a bad tip except for higher end places, and $1 per two drinks isn’t low enough to be insulting. A nickel or dime would be.

In the context of the ship however, the bartenders very often receive no tip due to the gratuities being pre-paid. I believe any tip in that situation will be well received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you will start to see this changing, with a number of states/cities forcing a change on the pay of the service industry. Once they start getting the $15+/hour (instead of $3-4), tipping will probably end. I'm ok with paying the price up front (in the cost of food/beverage) instead of the trying to figure out how much I should pay in addition to the check.

I have been on several NCL cruises and pother lines and never tipped extra and the service is no different too so one waving $ bills around

How do you know the service is the same if you haven't waved some $ bills around?