Invitation to bid

ddlb

Is there any way to find out if the cruise you are taking has issued invitations to bid? I asked that question on my roll call with only one response from a person who had not received an invitation. The cruise is 68 days out. At this point I have no way of knowing if it is me or the whole ship. The ship is the jade oct 15 2018 sailing but also wondering if other sailings don’t get invitations to bid. Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is there any way to find out if the cruise you are taking has issued invitations to bid? I asked that question on my roll call with only one response from a person who had not received an invitation. The cruise is 68 days out. At this point I have no way of knowing if it is me or the whole ship. The ship is the jade oct 15 2018 sailing but also wondering if other sailings don’t get invitations to bid. Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're sailing on the Escape Oct 21 and found mine on myncl at 80 days out![emoji6] Did not get an email.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Not every cabin, not every ship, & not every itinerary gets to upgrade. If there are no cabins available to upgrade you to, then no offer. If you log in to NCL.com it should appear on the screen "Let's Get You Upgraded". If it's not there, it's not an option.

If there are no cabins available to upgrade you to, then no offer.

Not true, my wife and I are in a Mini Suite, (Escape) our only options are to bid on Haven cabins. However they have been sold out for a long time. You should still be able to bid, this way is someone cancels the cabin doesn't go unused.

Not true, my wife and I are in a Mini Suite, (Escape) our only options are to bid on Haven cabins. However they have been sold out for a long time. You should still be able to bid, this way is someone cancels the cabin doesn't go unused.

Again, to my other points...1) not every cabin 2) not every itinerary. A traveler may not get the offer to upgrade, just because the exact cabin next door did.

While I think the bid process is fun. I think travelers on NCL have come to expect it. It's obvious from previous posts that there are folks who have booked a cabin they do not "want" expecting the offer. These folks have been disappointed by either not getting the offer or their offer is not accepted.

I would caution everyone to do your homework. Book the cabin that you will enjoy. Do not set your expectations on the good fortune of others.

xxx

At 80 days from sailing received email also appears when logging to MYNCL (Lets get you Upgraded).

Bidding categories (suites) were for both cabins sold and unsold.

Seems that NCL is betting that someone will move up a cabin class to allow consideration of a bid for that

cabin being vacated -or- a series of domino moves involving multiple cabins.

With a category of cabin unsold - NCL may have a ploy to compare paying the full fare of the cabin against

doing the upgrade thus guaranteeing getting the cabin and one of choice although more expensive this way.

Bids and upgrading considered in the time frame of 80 to 2 days before sailing.

Results may not be known until that 2 day point taking in account any cancellations or other adjustments

within that period.

Those on my roll call for the Escape 30 Sept received the upgrade email about 80 days out. We never did receive an invite even though we booked with NCL direct. No problem for us as we would not have wanted to bid but I was surprised that even booking direct with NCL does not guarantee you will get the invite.

Again, to my other points...1) not every cabin 2) not every itinerary. A traveler may not get the offer to upgrade, just because the exact cabin next door did.

While I think the bid process is fun. I think travelers on NCL have come to expect it. It's obvious from previous posts that there are folks who have booked a cabin they do not "want" expecting the offer. These folks have been disappointed by either not getting the offer or their offer is not accepted.

I would caution everyone to do your homework. Book the cabin that you will enjoy. Do not set your expectations on the good fortune of others.

I understand that not everyone on a sailing gets to bid - no problem and of course you can still bid if it shows sold-out. My question is how would I be able to tell if our particular cruise is not offering ANY bids to anyone. I understand this is also possible I'm just tired of checking myncl everyday to see if I got an invitation! Thanks for response!

Also, aren't the sailaway & guarantee categories ineligible?

Sail Away and GTY are definitely eligible. I booked a GTY interior (IC) on the Gem for a sailing in June and was upgraded to a balcony through the Upgrade Advantage program.

I understand that not everyone on a sailing gets to bid - no problem and of course you can still bid if it shows sold-out. My question is how would I be able to tell if our particular cruise is not offering ANY bids to anyone. I understand this is also possible I'm just tired of checking myncl everyday to see if I got an invitation! Thanks for response!

1) You may not ever be able to tell. NCL is not going to put out an announcement that it's not offering UA on a particular sailing. Not all of the people on your cruise are on CruiseCritic.

2) If you are tired of checking it, then don't.

Thanks for setting me straight on this!!

Just to add to what Jamie has said, it's only the solo/Studios which are not eligible for the Upgrade Advantage promotion. The only way a solo will be eligible is to book an inside or better, thus paying the double occupancy fee. In some cases that double fee does not apply, a rareity for sure.

Enjoy

Just to add to what Jamie has said, it's only the solo/Studios which are not eligible for the Upgrade Advantage promotion. The only way a solo will be eligible is to book an inside or better, thus paying the double occupancy fee. In some cases that double fee does not apply, a rareity for sure.

Enjoy

Thanks! I was pretty sure there was a cabin category that wasn't eligible. Glad to know I wasn't completely off base!

1) You may not ever be able to tell. NCL is not going to put out an announcement that it's not offering UA on a particular sailing. Not all of the people on your cruise are on CruiseCritic.

2) If you are tired of checking it, then don't.

Ok - I was just hoping there was someway to find out and you are right I will stop checking! Good advice thank you very much.

Have you checked the roll call for your cruise? If upgrade bidding is happening on your cruise, someone there will have mentioned it.

Sail Away and GTY are definitely eligible. I booked a GTY interior (IC) on the Gem for a sailing in June and was upgraded to a balcony through the Upgrade Advantage program.

A person can pay full price for a cabin, even a haven cabin and still receive a guarantee category if there are few rooms available. With a guarantee you’re guaranteed at least the Room category you paid for but could conceivably be upgraded to a better room. I initially received a balcony guarantee and when I called and spoke to the accessibility desk explaining that I am mobility impaired and need a wheelchair accessible cabin the man in charge was able to find me an accessible cabin. I then received offer to participate in the bidding for a mini suite or Haven Cabin but I would never try to bid because I would run the risk of losing my accessible cabin and end up assigned to a room that I don’t physically have the ability to enter with my scooter! So I am going to happily stay with my accessible balcony cabin and I’m thrilled to get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When booking a cruise with NCL, do your homework, I received an upgrade from Spa Balcony to H5 Haven for £405pp, but I joined at warmunde not Copenhagen, so theoretically that suite should still be available at the second port, NCL may have someone paying full price for it, but remember very few passengers get on at warnemunde. So it’s worth a gamble