Sushi on 5, Is it worth it?

I'm going on my first Celebrity Cruise on the Refection in October. I've been on many Caribbean and 2 Alaskan cruises. We were on one of the earliest ships, NCL to offer "Choice Dining" where they gave you a choice of 5 or 6 restaurants to eat in. (only a couple had an upcharge at that time in the 80's)

I understand the allure of the Specialty restaurants that most ships now have that have an up charge for eating there. I know Celebrities are higher cost than others. That said, I get the concept and even the value. When you eat at Murano's or Tuscan or Quisine you are getting a meal that would cost you at least twice what you pay off ship if not more. You recieve wonderful service in a lovely atmosphere with the option of choosing from the menu without regard to cost. (except the extra upcharge items)

What I don't get, is Sushi on 5. It appears to be a pretty standard Sushi restaurant with pretty much standard Sushi pricing. From the pictures I've seen the Sushi looks nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. I guess you can compare it with having to pay extra for Alcohol or other charged drinks. I just wonder how many people are in need of paying for Sushi on a 1 week or 2 week cruise. I would think they could find a more creative use of that space.

Here is a menu I've found: http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_17_menus.htm#sushi

What say you, experienced Celebrity Cruisers?

We love Sushi on 5 - really solid rolls, great apps and delicious cocktails. We ate there about 5 times on our last 10 night cruise. Sometimes, we would head down around 5ish and share an appetizer and roll before going to dinner at 8:30.

Well, it is a la carte so it can be cheaper than the other specialty restaurants. My husband and I are perfectly happy sharing the chicken ginger dumplings and the shrimp roll. It is delicious and a nice change of pace. To each their own but I vastly prefer it to the Bistro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't the MDR open on sea days as an alternative to crowds in the Buffet?

Sure is and it's free.

We went to Sushi on 5 twice for lunch on our last cruise because we had a lot of OBC to use up. Our first time we liked what we had. Second time we tried different things and weren't overly impressed. I guess it's hit or miss.

We also love it. On a 7 day cruise we will go at least once for dinner. On our last 14 day cruise we had dinner there once and lunch twice. On our next 10 day cruise in three weeks we are already looking forward to it. It will probably be the only "specialty" restaurant we go to. (We normally dine in Luminae.)

Well, as most questions asking about 'worth' on cruise ships, it is an individual decision either before, during or after dining there. As well, a matter of personal taste. If you believe that your sushi is much better at home than what a cruise ship can provide, then it is a moot question, right?

Have a look at the menu before sailing, have a look at the menu before entering, have a look when there are diners there and talk to those who have been there during your sailing then a good decision can be made. Once can also do a search here to find out even more thoughts on So5.

On each ship there will different reactions, to wit the posts here... some love it, some think it is a waste, and others do not know as they would never go regardless.

Personally, I go on every sailing because I like the vegan presentations that are prepared for me. It is comparable in cost to what I would pay at home, not a problem. It is, usually, the serenity of venue which makes it well worth it to us, almost regardless of cost... relatively low drama, sparsely crowded, low voices... ommmmmm

bon voyage

If you enjoy sushi and don't have unrealistic expectations (it is, after all, a cruise ship) then you will enjoy Sushi on 5. I enjoyed it very much when I sailed on Summit about a month ago.

We will be dining there in a few weeks on embarkation day, cannot wait...

bon voyage

Isn't the MDR open on sea days as an alternative to crowds in the Buffet?

Yes the MDR is open for lunch on sea days however, on embarkation day the MDR is only open for those guests sailing in Concierge Class. so if tge responsesto your post we’re citing Sushi on 5 as their choice for lunch on embarkation day.

The cocktails are the best thing in there. We enjoy stopping in and having an appi or two and a few cocktails. We've been unimpressed with the sushi/sashimi. Yea it's a cruise ship but I've had better at all you can eat joints (and possibly Costco). We might be sushi snobs;p but honestly in about a 1/2 dozen tries we've yet to get any really good sushi in there. But some of the apps are good and a few of the non sushi items are ok. The lobster noodles were ok but certainly not something to dream about. The time I tried it, it had about 3 or 4 tiny pieces of lobster in it. For a couple of apps and some "free" cocktails we are ok with the cost. I don't think we could drop the money on an entire meal and feel like we got any value.

Personally I find Sushi on 5 one of our favourite restaurants when Cruising, second to the Murano. But as with anything food related it is all personal preference, we find it a relaxing enjoyable venue to have a tasty lunch/dinner and a few drinks.

Has anyone had success getting a one of their special cocktails without eating a meal in the restaurant?

I've had some success in getting the World Class bartenders to make them for me. Depends on the bartender and how much he likes you;)

Two thumbs up for Sushi on 5!! Less hectic than main dining room and buffet. Usually have lunch or "snack" there several times during our cruise. The few cocktails that we have tried have also been very good. Looking forward to it on our upcoming October Equinox trip!

We loved it on embarkation day....SO much nicer that dealing with the crowds in the buffet area......the food was good....great way to start a cruise.

This is good to hear, we always enjoyed Bistro on 5 on embarkation day...was disappointed when it was converted to Sushi...that said, we both love sushi and are going to give it a shot on Equinox in a couple of weeks.

For anyone else reading this thread, do check out the menu posted in the first post. Sushi on 5 had been around for awhile before I ever tried it because just going by the name I thought it was all raw fish. (I know that's ignorance on my part as to what sushi really is but I bet I'm not alone...) For whatever reason one day I actually read the posted menu outside the venue and saw that there was actually a lot of dishes we would enjoy. I think they did themselves a disservice with the name.