Will Oceania ever answer the question on my end of cruise questionnaire

oceansandseas

It has been six months now since DH and I returned from our cruise on Riviera. I gave them a question in the end of cruise questionnaire. Thought I would give them a bit of time, but have not heard anything from them.

We were in B3 on 7th deck. Have cruised many times with Oceania by the way. A few days into the 20 day cruise our toilet became hard to flush. I left a pen handy as that gave it an extra push and seemed to work. However I mentioned it to our stewardess and she said to phone Reception when it was acting up. The next day when it did, I phoned Reception. When we returned there was a message on the phone saying that our toilet had been fixed and if we had any more problems, we were to phone again.

We were enjoying our cruise. About 3 nights before the end of the cruise, we were going to bed right at midnight. DH used the toilet, but when he flushed it, the water kept rising right to the top. No solids for those who think otherwise. We waited for awhile, but the water level did not recede. I phoned reception, but when I asked if they would come soon, he was not sure. I guess that I will have to hold it for awhile. Since the beds are so comfortable, I went to sleep right away. Awoke at 3:00 and had to use the toilet. However, no one had come to fix it as the water was still up to the brim.

So what do I do? I could just put on housecoat and slippers and go down to the washroom on 6th floor beside the restaurant. Wrote a note to DH where I was going. Left the cabin and walked down the corridor. Now what happens next, happened in only a few seconds. The door was shut. I opened it and thought SMOKE......FIRE......NO.....HAZE.....MY EYES ARE STINGING. Shut the door and thought TEAR.....TEAR......TEAR as I went back to the cabin. Woke husband coming back and he wanted to know what was the matter. I told him and then phoned Reception. What is the haze in the hall? My eyes are stinging? Will I be ok??? Where can I go.....I need a toilet badly. He just said that he would get someone to fix the toilet right away and hung up.

I kept blinking my eyes to tear to get the gas out of my eyes. I think I started crying, which was good. Five minutes later and no one there. For those who are going to ask.......I had to take a shower in the middle of the night. Heard someone fixing toilet about 20 minutes after.

I do know a bit about the haze. I was on Riviera in 2016 when the Noro was on the ship. We were sitting waiting for needlepoint to start. The Social Director ran up to us and said to get out right away. 3 men dressed in Hazard Suits were spraying over near the bar and there was a haze in the air. We had all been talking and did not notice them. They should have asked us to leave before they started spraying though.

My travel agent was also on this cruise and the next day I was sitting beside her at dinner. I told her what happened. She said "Oceania does what they have to do". Then turned and talked to the person on the other side of her. I was surprised at that. However, she would never say anything against Oceania as it is her bread and butter. I found out when I got home that there were gastro problems on Marina at the time of our cruise.

I was never contacted by anyone about the questions I presented to Reception. They did not leave a message on the phone that they had fixed the toilet either. I was not going to use the last 3 days of my cruise trying to get answers from officers or personnel on the ship. It would be a waste of time. My eyes seemed to be ok so I just enjoyed the last few days of my cruise. I did tell them about it in the final questionnaire. We are told that all questionnaires are read by Head Office. Are they? Or did they just not want to answer my question which was.......WHAT WOULD OCEANIA HAVE DONE IF THERE JUST HAPPENED TO BE AN EMERGENCY AT THE TIME THAT THE STAIRS WERE FILLED WITH THIS SPRAY. THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN CIAOS WHEN EVERYONE'S EYES STARTED TO STING.

Oh well, I have just booked B2B2B cruises on a different line with a new travel agent. Not saying I will not come back to Oceania, but giving them a break for awhile.

Just to be honest, I kind of stopped reading your post half way through. Just too long about a broken toilet, which happens once and a while to all toilets..

Suggest witting up a much shorter version and mailing to O if you need a reply.

Best of luck,

John

Just to be honest, I kind of stopped reading your post half way through. Just too long about a broken toilet, which happens once and a while to all toilets..

Suggest witting up a much shorter version and mailing to O if you need a reply.

Best of luck,

John

Ditto!!!!

Sorry they had a problem but rant editor needed.

I guess there would only be "ciaos" everywhere if there were a lot of Italians onboard.

Sorry, could resist. At least this post is a little different than most.

Maybe they assume questions on the end of cruise survey are rhetorical.

What did the GM say to you when you told them of the situation? You said reception did nothing, but the GM did not get back to you when asked either? Or did you not request a meeting with GM? If not, I believe no one will get back to you regarding your end of cruise questionnaire. We were on 2 Noro Cruises, one on O, and one on Regent last year, and in both cases, they sprayed, and cleansed and cleansed some more. DH is on oxygen and ended up in both cases going outside to breathe, even at night in Alaska last year when we were on Regent. Nothing can be done...they need to clean.

Don't make the mistake of believing that your happiness with your trip is really that important to Oceania (or any cruise line). Their obligation is not to you. They all talk a good game, but actions speak louder than words, especially when you have problems. Good thing? Bad thing? It is what it is. I think it's good to share stories, good or bad, that reflect reality, so thank you. I'd use another TA next time (since they obviously can't even get the "talk a good game" part right).