Is Royal IQ app worth the $8.00 on The Harmony?

We’re sailing on Symphony next week. Anyone know will iMessages work while onboard? I have two pre teens and it would be great.

iMessage will work only if you purchase VOOM for the phones.

Yes, ensure you have WiFi calling enabled and practice at home (use it in airplane mode and WiFi only). The folks at home don't need to have an iPhone - you can text anyone, just like at home. The feature where texts work over WiFi without VOOM package does not work on Oasis.

Thanks for the help, Biker. I've had Voom on previous cruises, but I did not know it would allow me to text. I just used it for email. I already started practicing with our iPhones today. I'm glad to have another option to communicate with friends and family at home while we are on board Oasis

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up. 4 of us had iPhones, 2 had androids. 3 got the texting feature (2 androids and one iPhone)... and the iPhone was our "liaison" between parties. Although we didn't use it often... it was convenient since our party was not connected at the hip!!!

I had to "force stop" the app almost every time I used it on my Android, But for the convenience, it was worth the $8. in my opinion.

I would get it again.

Annette~

If anyone here hears that the firewall has been blocked between now and next summer, I hope they'll report it here so we can be sure and get the app. We all have Iphones and will be on the Harmony next June. If I don't have to buy the app then I don't want to because Imessage is supposedly easier to navigate anyway as the app they give you a number and you'll have to remember whose number is who's.

Stupid question so please forgive me.

I have an iphone.

iMessage is when i hit the green app on an iphone that says "messages" and text someone with an iphone, correct?

I ask b/c i dont want to figure this out once i get on the ship :)

thx

iMessages are blue.

But the message app icon is green. Pretty sure that’s what was meant.

Used the Royal IQ app last time I sailed. Used just for texting to to other couples onboard. Found a couple of problems with it. Must have your phone out to constantly look and see if any messages as it does not signal you that you are getting a text. Missed a bunch of "meet you at" messages This proved to be our undoing for our upcoming cruise. we missed more texts or were late in meeting each other . Royal just had a 2 for 1 deal on my upcoming cruise, so for just over $9.00 each per day,per person, we paid the same price as purchasing 1 device ($18.99 day) . We now all have our texts, emails social media ,and ability to make phone calls (via whatsapp). I also should be able to use my sling player should I choose.

It doesn’t work on Allure as they don’t have the Roysl IQ app which is where the hole in the firewall is that allows this.

2nd that. I'm just off Allure and it didn't work. On Anthem we were able to Google Hangout each other on Android. No need for iPhone.

As a follow up. 4 of us had iPhones, 2 had androids. 3 got the texting feature (2 androids and one iPhone)... and the iPhone was our "liaison" between parties. Although we didn't use it often... it was convenient since our party was not connected at the hip!!!

I had to "force stop" the app almost every time I used it on my Android, But for the convenience, it was worth the $8. in my opinion.

I would get it again.

Annette~

Use Google Hangout on Android.

For both Android or iPhone, we use Google Allo. Good message app and you don't need to create an account. You need a phone number for verification.

Don't get to attached to Allo. Google has discontinued it. Not sure how much longer it will work.

Google Hangouts is available to both iphones and android. If this works with the IQ workaround, I would suggest everyone get a google account and use it.

You could actually create a group chat with everyone in your party in the group.

So I can’t pay $8 per device for texting capabilities on the symphony? That’s a bummer

Correct, in order to text on Symphony, you either have to buy VOOM, or pay your cell carrier per text, usually $0.50 per text sent.

Edited by Host Clarea