It's not your imagination--NCL prices are rising

BabsinTX

Confused. Earnings vs cruise price?

That being said, NCL has invested in gutting and refirbing its entire fleet. And have launched a new megaship every year since the Breakaway. And has 7 new ships on order. All of which costs money. All reasons why we stay with NCL.

They’ll keep raising cruise fares and charging more for everything else as long as people keep running to them. Especially the people that think NCL is “god” and don’t even bother comparing costs with the other cruise lines.

Yes, NCL is more expensive then some of the other cruise lines. Yes, NCL charges you for more things then other cruise lines. Yes, NCL just wants to make a profit.

I’ve sailed on NCL twice and have the Getaway booked for January (comped CAS cruise) and I enjoy my cruises and what NCL offers. Having said that, we’re trying MSC this fall (Yacht Club) and won’t think twice about booking on other cruise lines if it makes sense economically.

I once had a marketing professor ask the class how much do you charge for a steak in a restaurant - there were a lot of different answers from food cost and labor cost and overhead etc but the real answer is as much as you can get away with and that is the real answer - if your prices in any industry are too high then people will go to a competitor or just not buy, when that happens prices go down. Very simple

Exactly. It's all about supply and demand. Right now there is a lot of demand. The world (and US) economies are good, cruises as a whole are getting more and more popular, and NCL continues to put out a good product. If NCL didn't put out a good product, they wouldn't be able to raise prices.

That being said, there does come a point where even an NCL loyalist such as myself would look at other lines if other offerings are comparable in my mind.

I bet there are no bleeding hearts in the boardroom for the poor cabin stewards and waiters.

I've come to love NCL almost as much as RCCI, but as with both, I look for bang for the buck on a given cruise when I want to go. I have the Encore booked for 2020, and for future cruises, I also have MSC, Royal, Princess, and Celebrity. The Encore, Royal, and Princess are on new ships, and the Encore is much more than either. Don't know yet if I'll keep it.

Exactly. It's all about supply and demand. Right now there is a lot of demand. The world (and US) economies are good, cruises as a whole are getting more and more popular, and NCL continues to put out a good product. If NCL didn't put out a good product, they wouldn't be able to raise prices.

That being said, there does come a point where even an NCL loyalist such as myself would look at other lines if other offerings are comparable in my mind.

^^^^This exactly. We love NCL but are starting to look at other cruise lines as their prices seem to be getting a little to much. Even with their perks, it seems that I can get better deals on Royal or MSC. I will at least be doing more cost comparison for our next cruise

Supply and Demand. More people are traveling, prices are up across the board on all kinds of travel whether it's cruising, all inclusives, tours, etc. There are still many flash sails and last minute deals on unsold cabins if you are close to a port or can drive. Your travel agent should have access to these last minute bargains but living far away from a port makes it hard to take advantage.

Ive been loyal to NCL since my first cruise in '14, always have a great time, but agree prices have really gone up. Bliss Transatlantic solo cost me $2000, Encore Transatlantic is over $3000, not sure how the can justify a 50% increase. I am now looking at other lines, MSC has some great deals, and they will match Platinum status. I booked a 13 night Caribbean on Meraviglia in a solo cabin for $1200 total, I have a 6 night Pacific coastal on NCL that costs more. There are some things i dont like about MSC- Set dining, very basic beverage package, no real solo program, but still think ill have a wonderful vacation for half the cost.

We all know prices are rising on NCL> They are rising on most things.. I think what we need to remember is: with the perk packages, of course we are going to pay more. Add to this NCL has added some awesome new ships, have spent a lot on refurbishing the older ships and are now expanding the itineraries to cover more of the world. There was a time about 5 plus years ago when NCL was losing money hand over fist. This is changing because of price increases for one thing.

Not sure why some people think that cruise lines are a charity, and should provide all inclusive vacations to all. They provide choices of price points from inside closet cabins to suites, so they can make a profit and shareholder value, award extras to those that show loyalty. No line forces you to book, you make the choice, stop complaining about the choice you make

Not sure why some people think that cruise lines are a charity, and should provide all inclusive vacations to all. They provide choices of price points from inside closet cabins to suites, so they can make a profit and shareholder value, award extras to those that show loyalty. No line forces you to book, you make the choice, stop complaining about the choice you make
I think it's the fact that the same cruise with the same everythinglast year is now hundreds or even thousands more for next year with no real extra benefit to those highre costs. Prices are rising across the board everywhere and I don't think nor hear anyone saying they are happy about that ...... nobody expects anything for free but people don't want 5o be gouged either.

I think it's the fact that the same cruise with the same everythinglast year is now hundreds or even thousands more for next year with no real extra benefit to those highre costs. Prices are rising across the board everywhere and I don't think nor hear anyone saying they are happy about that ...... nobody expects anything for free but people don't want 5o be gouged either.

As someone else said supply and demand. The economy has being doing well and demographics also help the cruise business. Cruise lines can't really add or reduce supply very quickly so they make money when the getting is good. Next recession prices will drop and given all the new supply coming online probably pretty dramatically.

In fact is is quite simple mathematics.

A new ship costs approx. 650 million to 900 Million USD(depending on size and fittings).

As per my info most cruise lines calculate with a time in service of approx. 30 years.

That means the ship costs between 22 and 30 million USD a year ! So every ship has to make a yearly profit of 22 to 30 Million USD to reach breakeven.And thats without pay rent for the money loan(i don`t think the cruise lines to pay their shipments completely at the time of taking it over from the shipyard)

And as every cruise line is a business company and wants to make profit you can imagine that the yearly profit of each ship must be between 25 to 35 Million USD.

Cruises are still booming so any cruise line would be stupid not to take advantage of it.