Compulsive cruise prep

I was curious if everyone is planning obsessed with other events or in their day to day lives or is it just for cruising/traveling?

I'm fairly well organised in my day to day life. I maintain a shared diary and to-do list for me and my boyfriend. I'm the one that does all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, DIY etc.

I think if I didn't do any of that we'd be living in a cardboard box somewhere, certainly not cruising the high seas a couple of times a year!

But my cruise planning/prep is 1000% more intense than my daily planning & management.

I was curious if everyone is planning obsessed with other events or in their day to day lives or is it just for cruising/traveling?

Currently planning:

Cruise next year

Florida trip this week

Murder mystery dinner

Birthday party

Yes, obsessively planning it all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my "at home" life, I'm not super detailed, routines dont take much attention, but I'm pretty organized. I can get out the door without forgetting things behind.

At work, being on top of details and planning is part of the job. (Event planner and facility manager).

Anything involving travel away from my local area will find me kicking into the compulsive research/planning mode. [emoji41]

I am pretty detailed/organized in my “normal” life. Always early to work, very detailed calendar there, meals always on a schedule, daily/weekly home chores done on time. My garage is thoroughly leaned out, with places for each and every tool, etc. Even our walk-in attic has specific storage areas for each holiday’s decorations/tubs. I guess it is just the way I am built. My maternal Grandfather was the same way, long before things like Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma became a thing.

I must admit I'm pretty compulsive with certain things. For example, I have a document entitled, "if I were to die today" that provides the info my family would need to know including life insurance, pension info, financial details, etc. I update it every time I travel or when something changes significantly.

I'm retiring at the end of January and for the past couple of years I've kept track of the work days remaining using a spreadsheet calendar. I've reduced the days by earned days off, vacation, stats, etc. As of last Thursday I had 55 days left in the office!

So yes, I think I'm pretty compulsive. :p

I must admit I'm pretty compulsive with certain things. For example, I have a document entitled, "if I were to die today" that provides the info my family would need to know including life insurance, pension info, financial details, etc. I update it every time I travel or when something changes significantly.

I'm retiring at the end of January and for the past couple of years I've kept track of the work days remaining using a spreadsheet calendar. I've reduced the days by earned days off, vacation, stats, etc. As of last Thursday I had 55 days left in the office!

So yes, I think I'm pretty compulsive. :p

My countdown app tells me I still have 3,987 days until retirement! :(

I do have a “ brain book” and it is full of the can't-miss details, like when we have a restaurant review to do or a dental appointment...giving the dog his monthl’y meds...things like that. Otherwise, the gardens tell me what needs done this time of year, and I do things around the house on a scheduld that doesn't need writing down.

So yes, I’d say I’m somewhere around the 80% mark for organization. Except for money...I can tell you exactly when each bill is due and how early it will get paid, probably a holdover from the broke days.

I think organization is very freeing. Once it's done, I can breathe free.

SHELLBELLE28,

I love that spreadsheet! Did you just make it up or is there a template for it? I'm also going to download Tripit lol

This is a great thread. At least I'm not the only one that gets hyper excited when my cruise starts to get close. As soon as final payment is made I can't get enough of cruise critic. Planning excursions and surfing for every little bit of info I can get on the destinations and the ship.....good thing I have unlimited wifi:D

SHELLBELLE28,

I love that spreadsheet! Did you just make it up or is there a template for it? I'm also going to download Tripit lol

This is a great thread. At least I'm not the only one that gets hyper excited when my cruise starts to get close. As soon as final payment is made I can't get enough of cruise critic. Planning excursions and surfing for every little bit of info I can get on the destinations and the ship.....good thing I have unlimited wifi:D

I did make it up. I started with the dates and ports and added columns as things came to mind that would be handy to see at a glance. I wanted it to be all on a single page so that drove the layout.

My family probably thinks I’m a psycho planner

I’m named after my grandmother who is affectionately called General Jennie and I think my family may be calling me that now behind my back too.

I’m a compulsive planner when it comes to vacations. My current obsession is my NYE cruise on the Escape. My entire nuclear family is going (my parents, siblings and their sigificant others and my partner of 9 years). I booked everyone’s cabins including selecting locations in a way where my siblings and I are in a triangular pattern in order to be relatively close together but not close enough to be uncomfortable. We are closer to the bars on deck 8. My parents are booked on a deck closer to the pool deck as that’s where they like to spend most of their time. Everything is being charged to my credit card and each group is paying me back so I have a spreadsheet for all venmo transactions including date received and date payment applied to card.

When it comes to dining I’ve had a spreadsheet for each day and what restaurant we’ll be eating at indicating attendees. My partner and I have speciality dining for all nine nights while other family members are just doing the free 3 nights. We are planning speciality family meals for our sea days. So we had to get agreement on which three restaurants (Cagneys, Teppanyaki and La Cucina) which took AGES to get everyone to agree on. For the other six nights had to work out what day the other meal at Teppanyaki would be with my brother and his girlfriend (making sure they weren’t two close!) The rest of the meals are just me and my boyfriend. I’ve had him “sign off” on probably three different versions (he thinks I’m nuts and constantly tells me he doesn’t care LOL).

I have tentative schedules for each day. Since this is a one off nine day cruise I won’t have dailies to obsess over so I’ve just accepted I’ll have to go with the flow.

Ports I’m more lax about, I have a general sense of what I want to do (Kennedy Space Center, Swamp Airboat, beach days (maybe snorkeling)) and will book things as we get closer.

The other thing I’m thinking about is my cat in preparation for leaving her for over a week with my Nana. I need to provide detailed instructions (probably overboard she takes care of herself mostly).

Edited by Doitforlove

My life is so structured it is probably boring....I have the same routine everyday. I meal plan, grocery shop and then meal prep for the work week every Sunday. My Refrigerator is organized by days! It is not as much fun as vacation planning but I believe I am OCD in everyway possible.

I have instructions for taking care of my pets when I am away, and the same person takes care of them everytime. They probably think I am over the top. By the way, I work in accounting. Perfect for a person with my OCD.

I had the BEST time designing this![ATTACH]426727[/ATTACH]

I just found this template online, they are so cool. Planning for my next cruise. I always send little things to the others in my family going as the months go by to keep the excitement up.

I have always been a big planner. Make list after list for cruise. Was very busy with work one cruise (14 night) and did not go by list. Grabbed my sandals last minute and discovered 1st sea day I brought only one of each. Spent first port day shopping at Payless in st Thomas for sandals.

I just found this template online, they are so cool. Planning for my next cruise. I always send little things to the others in my family going as the months go by to keep the excitement up.

Where did you find the template for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums