Oasis class

I believe this is correct At mean high water, that clearance is 228 ft[(69 m) Oasis Air draft is 236 ft but I'm not sure if this with the funnel retracted or not.

I've never talked to an Oasis Chief Engineer to confirm, but I got the impression that lowering and raising the funnels is meant to be a very rare event, like only to make it under the Great Belt bridge right after the ship leaves the shipyard.

I'm not sure the retractable funnels were continued after Allure, since Harmony was built in France. Bob is right, the retractable funnel was done to get under the Great Belt bridge between Denmark and Sweden. I heard Oasis continued to exercise them once a month or so in the Caribbean. Not sure if she still does this, or if Allure ever did after delivery, but they are a maintenance nightmare, and a major source of soot leakage.

The Great Belt bridge has an air gap of 213 feet. Oasis' air draft is 236 feet with the funnels up. The funnels retract 8 meters. To clear the Great Belt, the ship also used "squat" to gain 30cm (12") of clearance for a total clearance of 60cm to the underside of the bridge (24"). To achieve appreciable squat, the ship went 23 knots in shallow water to suck the ship down the 12". The QM uses this same phenomenon when transiting the Verazzano Bridge. The QM is restricted to low water transits, if I recall, and Oasis would as well. This causes some problems with itineraries, except for transatlantics, where they can make up any tidal delay easily.

I'm not sure the retractable funnels were continued after Allure, since Harmony was built in France. Bob is right, the retractable funnel was done to get under the Great Belt bridge between Denmark and Sweden. I heard Oasis continued to exercise them once a month or so in the Caribbean. Not sure if she still does this, or if Allure ever did after delivery, but they are a maintenance nightmare, and a major source of soot leakage.

The Great Belt bridge has an air gap of 213 feet. Oasis' air draft is 236 feet with the funnels up. The funnels retract 8 meters. To clear the Great Belt, the ship also used "squat" to gain 30cm (12") of clearance for a total clearance of 60cm to the underside of the bridge (24"). To achieve appreciable squat, the ship went 23 knots in shallow water to suck the ship down the 12". The QM uses this same phenomenon when transiting the Verazzano Bridge. The QM is restricted to low water transits, if I recall, and Oasis would as well. This causes some problems with itineraries, except for transatlantics, where they can make up any tidal delay easily.

What is the Verrazzano air gap?

I believe that Flacruiser is correct, the published air gap is 228 feet, but that is at Mean LOW water. The air gap is varying today between 224 ft this morning and 229' 4" just a few minutes ago. NOAA has an "air gap program" to give mariners up to date info on bridge clearances:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports/ports.html?id=8517986&mode=airgap

I believe that Flacruiser is correct, the published air gap is 228 feet, but that is at Mean LOW water. The air gap is varying today between 224 ft this morning and 229' 4" just a few minutes ago. NOAA has an "air gap program" to give mariners up to date info on bridge clearances:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports/ports.html?id=8517986&mode=airgap

Thanks for the link.

Is the water shallow enough under the Verrazzano bridge to get any squat?

Oasis class ships are too open and were never intended to sail out of cold weather ports. And I don't think that they would send one up for just a few months.

They didn't even plant Central Park in 2009 until after Oasis arrived in Florida.

Thanks for the link.

Is the water shallow enough under the Verrazzano bridge to get any squat?

"Shallow" is a relative term. The controlling depth (the minimum guaranteed by US Army Corps of Engineers) for the Ambrose Reach channel is 54 feet, but I believe its about 84 feet under the bridge. With the Oasis drawing 30 feet (QM2 draws about 34 feet), that 50 feet under the keel may seem like a lot of space, but when you're driving something that weighs 100,000 tons (displacement not GT) at 23 knots, you displace a whole bunch of water, creating the low pressure under the hull.

"Shallow" is a relative term. The controlling depth (the minimum guaranteed by US Army Corps of Engineers) for the Ambrose Reach channel is 54 feet, but I believe its about 84 feet under the bridge. With the Oasis drawing 30 feet (QM2 draws about 34 feet), that 50 feet under the keel may seem like a lot of space, but when you're driving something that weighs 100,000 tons (displacement not GT) at 23 knots, you displace a whole bunch of water, creating the low pressure under the hull.

any guess on how fast the Brilliance is going when she goes under the Skyway?

I know the Skyway is posted as being 180 feet, but I have my suspicions that that is the "safe limit", or the height to allow whatever safety margin they want (6-8 feet is common). I think Brilliance is about 172 feet, so she probably doesn't need to squat, but a good indication of whether she is or not is the amount of vibration your going to have while transiting under the bridge. If a ship is going full speed (21 knots at least), in shallow water, the vibration from the pressure waves bouncing back to the ship from the bottom are quite heavy.

I've never talked to an Oasis Chief Engineer to confirm, but I got the impression that lowering and raising the funnels is meant to be a very rare event, like only to make it under the Great Belt bridge right after the ship leaves the shipyard.

Video's/Documentaries and crew I talked to it isn't designed that way. Maybe they could rebuild it to be.

Edited by ONECRUISER

Video's/Documentaries and crew I talked to it isn't designed that way. Maybe they could rebuild it to be.

Regardless of how it is designed, a mechanism like this will seize up solid if not exercised regularly, probably at least once a month. And this would require a lot of manhours just to operate it (with pre- and post- lubrication, possible repairs) let alone the maintenance needed regularly and repairs when things go wrong, just for something that may never be needed in real operations. And of course it worked fine when needed at the Great Belt, since it was new, but after almost 10 years of exhaust gas going through this thing, I would be surprised if it still works.

Never fails would wake right before going under(4x) 2013-2015, always in a deck 10 balcony cabin. Prefect as dark at 4am, Bridge all lite up made for good shots and video's going under. We were moving along pretty good. Don't know for sure but I'd guess no more then 15kt. Interesting to see ...

Regardless of how it is designed, a mechanism like this will seize up solid if not exercised regularly, probably at least once a month. And this would require a lot of manhours just to operate it (with pre- and post- lubrication, possible repairs) let alone the maintenance needed regularly and repairs when things go wrong, just for something that may never be needed in real operations. And of course it worked fine when needed at the Great Belt, since it was new, but after almost 10 years of exhaust gas going through this thing, I would be surprised if it still works.

Thank you, as always spot on...