Orientation of Cruise ID

Because_I_Said

Be careful punching any holes in the Key Card.

Holes in the wrong places may disable the card for all ship access and on board accounting.

Best left to the staff at Guest Services.

That’s exactly what I do. I have lanyards in a variety of styles to go with different outfits and one of my first stops on board is guest services to punch a hole in my sale and sign card so that I can hook it to my lanyard around my neck. Seems like every other day of my life I carry a purse on my arm. I love having a vacation from my purse and feeling like I’m free of all burdens! My lanyards other than the one I use while swimming are closed with a magnetic clasp so I can easily pull them off and hand my sale and sign card including the lanyard to the bartender to scan for my drink. The one I swim with is on a stretchy plastic and I don’t even need to remove it in order to scan my card when leaving the ship or returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I bought a holder for the card so that no hole has to be punched. The back is open so hopefully I won't have to take it out to be scanned.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

They scan the cards for practically everything. Get a drink, card scanned. Go to dinner, card scanned. Shop the gift shops, card scanned. Get off in port, card scanned. Gay back on in port, card scanned.

It will still make it easier to have it accessible like you’re olanning but it will have to come out probably a dozen times a day. Have a fantastic trip!!!

I would guess that there are three types of scanning -

The ole method of sliding (swiping) the card thru the reader reading the magnetic stripe

The new method of reading the imbedded chip card inserted in slot for reading

And the latest method of a proximity reader - wave the card in front of the reader

In any event a good deal in that you don't need to get cash out or a credit card and

fumble around paying for something onboard the ship and coming and going could

not be more simple for accounting for your presence on the ship.

But don't mess with that magnetic stripe or punch holes where they should not be !

I would guess that there are three types of scanning -

The ole method of sliding (swiping) the card thru the reader reading the magnetic stripe

The new method of reading the imbedded chip card inserted in slot for reading

And the latest method of a proximity reader - wave the card in front of the reader

In any event a good deal in that you don't need to get cash out or a credit card and

fumble around paying for something onboard the ship and coming and going could

not be more simple for accounting for your presence on the ship.

But don't mess with that magnetic stripe or punch holes where they should not be !

Unless something has changed since November, NCL doesn’t use proximity or chip cards... It’s all mag stripe for everything.

Unless something has changed since November, NCL doesn’t use proximity or chip cards... It’s all mag stripe for everything.

Thats why I use a lanyard with magnetic closure and card with hole attached so I can just pull the whole thing off my neck very easily when it needs to be scanned. Rest assured the folks at the info desk know exactly where to punch the hole. Indeed they are the ones who make you a new card if it malfunctions for any reason.

it is physically swiped for everything.

I personally find lanyards to be a pain in the butt to use. id rather stick my card in my back pocket. then i can hold a drink or plate of food in one hand and be able to reach wiht one hand to get my card. Pulling it out of a lanyard requires two hands.

that, and they just look really dumb hanging around your neck lol

I find a lanyard easiest because it needs to be quickly accessible for drinks and boarding/leaving the ship. I use a hard plastic type with slide lever to pop it out - pressure inside is secure to hold on to it. In fact I can extract it with one hand, it does not take two hands.

There are now 2 card and 3 card versions which I might upgrade to for ports so I can hold a credit card and license with my ship card. When I don't need it around my neck it goes into a pocket with lanyard. Or a beach bag. And the lanyard makes it easy to spot and pull out of a bag.

I use a vertical card holder because it hangs more naturally that way. There is no need to read it while hanging.

The ship cards wear out fast if you put them in a pocket... many end up getting them replaced when they fail. And I don't like to carry a wallet around on the ship.

The ship cards wear out fast if you put them in a pocket... many end up getting them replaced when they fail. And I don't like to carry a wallet around on the ship.

maybe im lucky but i havent had a failure yet... my fiance also goes in the hottub with his in his trunks. no failures there either.

Thats why I use a lanyard with magnetic closure and card with hole attached so I can just pull the whole thing off my neck very easily when it needs to be scanned. Rest assured the folks at the info desk know exactly where to punch the hole. Indeed they are the ones who make you a new card if it malfunctions for any reason.

That magnetic closure may pose a problem if it comes in contact with the magnetic stripe for any length of time.

Also if you bring along one of those remote quick charge pads for a cell phone or other electronic gear -

place the card near there and there is potential for trouble.

Dem magnetic forces they attract and they repel with no certain predictable results except given a Murphy

opportunity the worst will happen !

maybe im lucky but i havent had a failure yet... my fiance also goes in the hottub with his in his trunks. no failures there either.

Bending and scratching are the real issues, although hot tub? I would not! And magnets as the other reply points out!

Actually, I bought a holder for the card so that no hole has to be punched. The back is open so hopefully I won't have to take it out to be scanned.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

Hope you’re right.

But it was explained to me the reason the card had to be taken out of the lanyard was because security, waitstaff, etc can feel it as a way to physically touch it to see if it’s a fake card.

Apparently, enough of them are lost that they are easily reproduceable and have been used to gain entry to the ships from unauthorized people coming aboard.

This came from a ship security person.

Bending and scratching are the real issues, although hot tub? I would not! And magnets as the other reply points out!

I discovered the ease of using lanyards in 2012. Since then I’ve used them to hang my sail & sign card WITH A HOLE IN IT from on 20 cruises and I have never had a problem!