New Orleans embark/debark on NCL

davy jones

The street in front of the terminal is narrow and traffic backs up frequently. Also, a train track crosses it and trains are frequent blocking the traffic from moving. Otherwise, ok.

We cruised on the Pearl 03/2018 - and I have to say this is what we saw. The best I can describe it would be "managed chaos" during embarkation.

Debarkation also left something to be desired. There was plenty of ground transportation available, and they actually had a system, but there were many line jumpers causing chaos as they did not want to wait their turn

It's great. We have cruised from Port Canaveral twice San Juan once and New Orleans four times. Our next cruise in December will also be out of New Orleans.

We always stay in one of the many nice hotels within three or four blocks of the port and walk there to board. The reason we cruise from New Orleans so much is our one or two days before and after spent in the city are as much fun as the cruise itself.

Will be sailing from NOLA on my next cruise. Have sailed from Miami, NYC, and San Juan previously.

Was really disappointed when we embarked from San Juan that we entered ship by gangway onto I believe deck 2 and not directly onto deck 5/6 so that the first thing you see is the Atrium.

Can anyone tell me onto what deck you embark in NOLA.

IF it helps, we will be sailing on the Getaway.

Our adult children will be sailing with us, our son is a former cast member on DCL, and it will be anti-climatic for his first cruise as a passenger if we board down in the belly of the ship.[emoji14]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will be sailing from NOLA on my next cruise. Have sailed from Miami, NYC, and San Juan previously.

Was really disappointed when we embarked from San Juan that we entered ship by gangway onto I believe deck 2 and not directly onto deck 5/6 so that the first thing you see is the Atrium.

Can anyone tell me onto what deck you embark in NOLA.

IF it helps, we will be sailing on the Getaway.

Our adult children will be sailing with us, our son is a former cast member on DCL, and it will be anti-climatic for his first cruise as a passenger if we board down in the belly of the ship.[emoji14]

This will be the first time this upcoming Nov for a ship the size of the Breakaway to sail from New Orleans. On the Dawn and Star we boarded on Deck 7. The gangway is articulating so it should be able to adjust for boarding on Breakaway and Getaway. Everything I have read says Deck 7 at other ports where embarkation is done which is not going to going to be an Atrium entrance.

Dave

We sailed from NOLA on the Pearl last March and did not have any issues. Embarkation is always hectic - there's only so much that can be done when so many people are in one place at the same time - but we thought the Port of NOLA did a good job. No problem knowing where to go once in the terminal.

I do wish that NCL did a better job of moving the line along to get to security. Seems it would go faster if there was a separate line for people who did not have their luggage with them (we gave ours to the porter outside the terminal). We were in a suite, so had priority embarkation, which went smoothly.

Disembarkation was fine. As you disembark there are people telling you where to go. Typical chaos with finding your luggage in the color-coded sections. Plenty of cabs outside.

If you are staying pre- or post-cruise at a hotel, the Hilton Riverside is at the pier. Easiest place to stay and nice rooms.

We will be sailing from Miami in Oct. and hope it is as smooth a process as we experienced in NOLA.

Enjoy your trip!

If you are staying pre- or post-cruise at a hotel, the Hilton Riverside is at the pier. Easiest place to stay and nice rooms.

Thanks for posting this, sailing out of NOLA for the first time in January and have the Hilton booked the night before the cruise.

This will be the first time this upcoming Nov for a ship the size of the Breakaway to sail from New Orleans. On the Dawn and Star we boarded on Deck 7. The gangway is articulating so it should be able to adjust for boarding on Breakaway and Getaway. Everything I have read says Deck 7 at other ports where embarkation is done which is not going to going to be an Atrium entrance.

Dave

Deck 7 would be great. Brings you in at O'Sheehan's. Nothing like walking into the Grand Atruim of a DCL ship, but will still have some wow fracture. Thanks for the quick response.

We’re sailing on Breakaway in March and we’ve never sailed from NOLA and are planning on arriving a few days prior for sightseeing. What time does the terminal open up for checking in and typically when does boarding actually start? We are not staying in the haven and it’s only our 2nd NCL cruise so no priority status and just trying to figure out how it all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’re sailing on Breakaway in March and we’ve never sailed from NOLA and are planning on arriving a few days prior for sightseeing. What time does the terminal open up for checking in and typically when does boarding actually start? We are not staying in the haven and it’s only our 2nd NCL cruise so no priority status and just trying to figure out how it all works.

We usually get to the terminal about 10:30 and people are already in there. Boarding usually starts about 11 - 11:30 am. I can let you know better after our cruise in January. The breakaway is much larger that the usual NCL ship we've had in N.O., so I don't know if that will make a difference.

We have not yet sailed from New Orleans and are curious about your experiences with accessing the and the embarkation and debarkation process. NYC can be a mess at times and we hope that it is a NYC problem and not an NCL problem.

My personal feeling: NOLA is very similar to NYC> We have sailed from there 3 times and it has always been a nightmare. I know others have not had the same problem and obviously it hasn't stopped us from sailing out of there but we don't care for it at all. One of our best was Boston, followed by San Pedro.

My personal feeling: NOLA is very similar to NYC> We have sailed from there 3 times and it has always been a nightmare. I know others have not had the same problem and obviously it hasn't stopped us from sailing out of there but we don't care for it at all. One of our best was Boston, followed by San Pedro.

We have done many ports. The best were Baltimore and Boston. The worst were NYC and Bayonne. Embarkation is manageable on both, but debark can be a nightmare if you do not do self disembark. They do not have enough customs agents to handle the crowds and it can back up all the way to the ship.

we sailed once from NOLA on the Dawn and loved it, no issues. when we disembarked cabs were everywhere and we jumped in one to go to the airport.

Good to know about the taxis.

Does NCL offer airport transfers, or is taxi the best way to go? We have a 1:30 flight.

We have done many ports. The best were Baltimore and Boston. The worst were NYC and Bayonne. Embarkation is manageable on both, but debark can be a nightmare if you do not do self disembark. They do not have enough customs agents to handle the crowds and it can back up all the way to the ship.

And in NYC, try and disembark on a Sunday? they are really short of customs agents, not to mention the long walk from the ship through customs to the street.

NOLA can be a bit hectic by comparison to other ports since it is right in the city. Not a ton of space out front when people start coming in and out so it gets a bit congested and hard to figure out where to go. We were never approached or could easily find porters so we ended up carrying on what would have been or checked luggage. However, the wait time to check in and get on the ship was standard and everyone was nice so no big deal. A bit hectic or not, don't let it ruin your first cruise day!

Odd question but does anyone know if there is a vending machine in the terminal? I thought I read (in a post that I can no longer find!) that there is one that sells coke. Can you buy multiple cans to bring on with you?

• 5 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 4:19 PM, BigEasyCC said:

We usually get to the terminal about 10:30 and people are already in there. Boarding usually starts about 11 - 11:30 am. I can let you know better after our cruise in January. The breakaway is much larger that the usual NCL ship we've had in N.O., so I don't know if that will make a difference.

How was the embarkation? What time did you arrive?

4 minutes ago, fizboBunny said:

How was the embarkation? What time did you arrive?

We just got off the Breakaway on February 7, boarded January 26.  Traffic and construction on Convention Blvd is a mess and that’s putting it lightly.  IMHO the best route is: East on Poydras, take roundabout in front of Hilton Riverside across tracks, right on Port of New Orleans PL, to Julia Street, which is a one way West, Bag drop is on the corner, as is terminal parking.  We left our hotel, HI Express, on O’Keefe, 10ish, parked, through security and checkin and boarded by 11ish.  

It appeared to me to get hectic after noo with a lot of bus transfers arriving fully loaded.

Debarking on the 7th was a little more hectic for us.  We had a late, 2:30, flight, stayed on board, had breakfast and were amoung last groups to leave.  In all it took around an hour, but part was due to customs backup.

Hope this helps