Anthem or Grandeur?

BobInPa

Hands down Grandeur was the worst cruise we’ve taken. It was so bad the shopping port guy was putting in for a transfer. He said it was not an exciting ship.

Grandeur rocked a lot too because of its size. We sailed to Bermuda and the schedule didn’t give you enough time. Arrival day you have a few hours before things shut down. The departure day same way left too early. Things don’t open early and you have a couple hours to explore.

Just a few of my thoughts .

Hands down Grandeur was the worst cruise we’ve taken. It was so bad the shopping port guy was putting in for a transfer. He said it was not an exciting ship.

Grandeur rocked a lot too because of its size. We sailed to Bermuda and the schedule didn’t give you enough time. Arrival day you have a few hours before things shut down. The departure day same way left too early. Things don’t open early and you have a couple hours to explore.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your sailing, but maybe should have reviewed schedule before you booked. Understand port shopping guy being bored, he only has one port to shill for. From our experience Anthem doesn't handle rough seas any better than Grandeur.

Fortunately for op, he/she isn't looking to go to Bermuda.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your sailing, but maybe should have reviewed schedule before you booked. Understand port shopping guy being bored, he only has one port to shill for. From our experience Anthem doesn't handle rough seas any better than Grandeur.

Fortunately for op, he/she isn't looking to go to Bermuda.

I LOVE your line about the shopping guide 😄👍😇😘

I love the Grandeur because the beds feel like concrete and that is heaven for me.

Pretty much. I live in Gwynedd. Due north of Merion and near the same SEPTA line, the old R5.

Harleysville/ Kulpsville here!

We have sailed the grandeur and absolutely loved her. We went December 2013 with a great deal the 1st week of December. We now have anthem lined up for this January out of Bayonne. I'm excited for anthem so I think either ship would be good for you.

I sailed on Grandeur last March with stops in Charleston, Port Canaveral, Miami, and Nassau (Coco Cay was a bust because of weather, which I expected) and really did not enjoy the trip, for a variety of reasons, not all of which were the fault of the ship or her crew. I'm in my early 40's and my roommate was sick and sleeping the whole time (a nice $900 nap), so I was essentially alone on the trip. Because of the time of year, the crowd was MUCH older than I expected, and there were very few people in my age range to meet.

The cabin and dining room staff were great, some of the bar staff, not so much.

I'll drive the 4 hours to try Anthem next, or I'll fly to Miami or Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Having never sailed from a northern port in January before and with our primary goals being warm and pampered we have decided to go with Anthem instead of Grandeur.

The additional indoor/warm venues were the major motivations, with the Solarium and it’s bistro being key.

Also, we got a 2D midship balcony with $200+ in perks for $300 more than a 1N midship ocean view with no perks. Being a large guy I had a feeling that the cabin size on Grandeur would be sort of claustrophobic whereas the cabin size on Anthem is 30% larger.

My wife’s birthday will occur on the second night of the Anthem cruise and I am hoping to use one of my perks for dinner at Wonderland.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,

Bob

Unfortunately in Jan & Feb you can have 65 degree weather in the Bahamas, which kills any great plans you may have on sitting on the beach and using the water activities. Watch out this winter, some of the cruise lines are shutting down their private islands for construction work.

Hi All,

Having never sailed from a northern port in January before and with our primary goals being warm and pampered we have decided to go with Anthem instead of Grandeur.

The additional indoor/warm venues were the major motivations, with the Solarium and it’s bistro being key.

Also, we got a 2D midship balcony with $200+ in perks for $300 more than a 1N midship ocean view with no perks. Being a large guy I had a feeling that the cabin size on Grandeur would be sort of claustrophobic whereas the cabin size on Anthem is 30% larger.

My wife’s birthday will occur on the second night of the Anthem cruise and I am hoping to use one of my perks for dinner at Wonderland.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,

Bob

Great choice. Have a wonderful trip.

I don't think I have ever been to Coco Cay when there has been more than one ship. I think it'd be more than slightly crowded with 2 in port.

We've been there with Majesty and Monarch, so around 5000 guests. It actually was not that bad, we could still walk down the beach and find some uncrowded areas.

We have sailed 17 cruises and Grandeur out of Baltimore was the easiest embarkation/disembarkation of them all, by far. Driving (right off I-95) and parking (200 yard walk to the terminal) there is a breeze. You need reservations for everything on Anthem; I'm not a big fan of 4000+ passenger ships. Yes, Grandeur was commissioned in 1995, but upgraded several times since then. Finally, the North Jersey/NYC crowd on Anthem are all obnoxious fans of all the New York area sports teams hated by most fans everywhere else!

Finally, the North Jersey/NYC crowd on Anthem are all obnoxious fans of all the New York area sports teams hated by most fans everywhere else!

I find all fans of sports teams that real people don't actually play in themselves (i.e., aren't getting paid to play) to be quite annoying/obnoxious. :)

Finally, the North Jersey/NYC crowd on Anthem are all obnoxious fans of all the New York area sports teams hated by most fans everywhere else!

That can't be true! And here I thought we Philly Fans were the most hated.

I guess Santa Claus better watch out this year. We have to get back to the top of the hated list.

That can't be true! And here I thought we Philly Fans were the most hated.

I guess Santa Claus better watch out this year. We have to get back to the top of the hated list.

I was referring to the NY teams, not necessarily their fans. :)