No More Hemingways after 9/2/18

1Texansgo

Hemingways last day of business is Sept. 2nd when the entire property shuts down for remodeling and to prepare to re-open the hotel. We were planning to be there that Wed. on LOS but now will look elsewhere. Does anyone know how many ships will be in port on 9/5?

Hemingways last day of business is Sept. 2nd when the entire property shuts down for remodeling and to prepare to re-open the hotel. We were planning to be there that Wed. on LOS but now will look elsewhere. Does anyone know how many ships will be in port on 9/5?

:eek: What?? We will be there 9/13 and were planning to spend our day there. Now what will we do? We liked that it was a small and never busy beach with great food. Anywhere else like that?

The problem is that what you are looking for (facilities, beach chairs/umbrellas, good food/drink, not crowded) is pretty much what many cruise ship visitors are looking for. Essentially, with the offerings getting fewer and fewer, I don't think that you are going to find that until something new opens up (and I have heard of no plans yet for anything). So which are you willing to compromise on?

Facilities, good food/drinks? Head for Governor's Beach or Cemetery Beach

Crowding? Royal Palms or Calico Jack's

Beach chairs/umbrellas? Coccoloba by the Kimpton

I am really hoping that other options open up soon, before the peak season, because with Tiki Beach gone, and now Hemingways, the options are limited.

The problem is that what you are looking for (facilities, beach chairs/umbrellas, good food/drink, not crowded) is pretty much what many cruise ship visitors are looking for. Essentially, with the offerings getting fewer and fewer, I don't think that you are going to find that until something new opens up (and I have heard of no plans yet for anything). So which are you willing to compromise on?

Facilities, good food/drinks? Head for Governor's Beach or Cemetery Beach

Crowding? Royal Palms or Calico Jack's

Beach chairs/umbrellas? Coccoloba by the Kimpton

I am really hoping that other options open up soon, before the peak season, because with Tiki Beach gone, and now Hemingways, the options are limited.

I know and hopefully some other options do open up soon. We will probably end up trying Royal Palms, it looks like only 2 ships in port that day so hopefully it wont get too crowded.

Calico Jack’s will be moving to West Bay eventually, some time in 2020 or so. I didn’t realize their property was also owned by Dart, but I’m not surprised.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2018/08/02/calico-jacks-to-leave-seven-mile-beach/

I believe Dart also owns Royal Palms, and it will eventually be closed and revamped into part of a future hotel complex there. I can’t find the specific article that talked about that, though. I’m sure it was mentioned in one of the articles about the overpass that Dart built in that area.

You are correct bookbabe - Dart owns the land that Calico Jacks is on and owns the Royal Palms. Calico Jack's will be closing and moving to Barkers, and Royal Palms will be closing to make way for a new hotel.

That will leave nothing on Seven Mile Beach for cruise visitors, so I really hope that something gets announced soon.

I know and hopefully some other options do open up soon. We will probably end up trying Royal Palms, it looks like only 2 ships in port that day so hopefully it wont get too crowded.

We have been to Royal Palms several times as my husband has sun sensitivity and they offer cabanas. It is a pretty nice beach however we reserve the cabana ahead of time.

Yes, basically.... You can sometimes get a discounted rate at a resort, which is actually a Day-Room, by calling the resort, or Resort for a day. Based on availability and not usually offered during high seasons.

Due the nature of these resorts, and the sheer huge numbers of cruise ship passengers, I don't think you can get a cheap day-pass anywhere. Paying guests who might see the facilities at their expensive resort being over-run by cruise passengers would revolt!!!