Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

We were recently on a Grand Circle travel river cruise.  They advised us that they would provide a recyclable water bottle free of charge.  There were 2 heavy duty glass 32 oz bottles in our room.  They were so heavy when empty that we never used them.  Our of 140 pax we saw maybe 4 people using them.  We used recyclable plastic bottles also free of charge like most pax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom47 said:

We were recently on a Grand Circle travel river cruise.  They advised us that they would provide a recyclable water bottle free of charge.  There were 2 heavy duty glass 32 oz bottles in our room.  They were so heavy when empty that we never used them.  Our of 140 pax we saw maybe 4 people using them.  We used recyclable plastic bottles also free of charge like most pax.

Some (both River and Ocean) cruise lines offer lightweight metal bottles for drinks. Uniworld and Regent Seven Seas, for example. 

In my limited experience these are not insulated, so cold/iced water warms quickly.

We take our own insulated bottles. 

15 hours ago, VandM said:

Thanks.  I’m appalled.  Are there hydration stations if I take my own?

not currently - I asked the question regarding reducing plastic water bottles at an officers Q&A and was told it is in the plans to install water stations in future  (possibly something that may be done when in dry dock?)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

not currently - I asked the question regarding reducing plastic water bottles at an officers Q&A and was told it is in the plans to install water stations in future  (possibly something that may be done when in dry dock?)

I don't think that these stations need necessarily to be plumbed-in. They certainly require a power supply, but the water could be by means of a portable container. Whilst this solution is more labour-intensive, and requires monitoring, the filtration/purification could be done in one location. Alternatively, as on some ships, the station itself does the work.

Therefore, waiting for dry-dock might not be necessary. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scots Caz said:

Can you recall who said this, thanks

21 minutes ago, uktog said:

Can you recall who said this, thanks

I can't unfortunately. It was on Journey in November last year - (the 'dry dock' question was mine not mentioned) but I raised it as there must be a better way than the obscene amount of plastic. I was told it was definitely planned (maybe the parts are in the container in Shanghai with the Onward balcony furniture 🙂 🙂 )

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Kozimoto1209 said:

Hello all,

At what point can you use you OBC for excursions?

I have booked an excursion but it shows money owed in total rather than money owed less OBC. Is there something I should be doing?

Thanks!

ASfter Final Payment.

You need to add the dummy "OBC" excursion, and then hope that they apply the OBC to the outstanding balance.  If they don't after a few days, do what I did and call them up.  It was then quickly fixed.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 3:38 PM, VandM said:

Does anyone know if Azamara provides recyclable bottles for water, or are they still using plastic?

Thanks for any info.

Viv

Just got off the Journey two weeks ago and yes they are still using plastic bottles for water.  

In another topic it’s been pointed out that there is no longer any way to register for Meet & Mingle events either on Cruise Critic or on the Azamara website. However Azamara are still allocating a room for these and it is advertised in the daily ‘Insider’. On my recent cruuses it’s been in the Drawing Room and at around 5 or 6 pm on embarkation day. I’ve amended the Tips spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In another topic it’s been pointed out that there is no longer any way to register for Meet & Mingle events either on Cruise Critic or on the Azamara website. However Azamara are still allocating a room for these and it is advertised in the daily ‘Insider’. On my recent cruuses it’s been in the Drawing Room and at around 5 or 6 pm on embarkation day. I’ve amended the Tips spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

Unfortunately these are poorly attended, and Azamara are taking these much less seriously. On the last of these that I attended, only Assistant Cruise Director was present and no Officers were introduced.

To the very best of my recollection on at least one recent cruise the event (to me an indication that Azamara are trying to phase these meeting out) the event partially clashed with the General Safety muster!

And, in the past invites/reminders were issued: the only notification these days is in the Insider. 

On my most recent cruise I did not attend because it clashed with sail-away. I was told that no-one else had attended! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, blag said:

Unfortunately these are poorly attended, and Azamara are taking these much less seriously. On the last of these that I attended, only Assistant Cruise Director was present and no Officers were introduced.

To the very best of my recollection on at least one recent cruise the event (to me an indication that Azamara are trying to phase these meeting out) the event partially clashed with the General Safety muster!

And, in the past invites/reminders were issued: the only notification these days is in the Insider. 

On my most recent cruise I did not attend because it clashed with sail-away. I was told that no-one else had attended! 

I’ve not seen anyone from the ship there since they recommenced sailing after COVID

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve not seen anyone from the ship there since they recommenced sailing after COVID

Me either. Fortunately, on my next Azamara cruise, many of us on the roll call are staying at the same hotel pre cruise and have organized a private food tour the day before embarkation. So at least some of us will be well acquainted!

Not so on the Viking cruise I’m embarking on next week. No M&M and we will really have to put ourselves out there to meet people!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Me either. Fortunately, on my next Azamara cruise, many of us on the roll call are staying at the same hotel pre cruise and have organized a private food tour the day before embarkation. So at least some of us will be well acquainted!

Not so on the Viking cruise I’m embarking on next week. No M&M and we will really have to put ourselves out there to meet people!

I found on Viking it was easy to meet people both those on cruise critic and those not.  Its like Azamara a very friendly line.

• Like 2

I’ve just been through the Tips Spreadsheet and found a few out-of-date items - for example references to the Voyage Planner on the old website. I’ve amended everything I spotted, but if anyone can see anything I’ve missed or that they think is not right, please let me know & I can put it right.

thanks.

Here’s the link again

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

I'm looking for correct boarding times for Athens, if anyone knows. On our booklet it has boarding from 1 to 4 pm, with a sail of 4:30, so that doesn't seem right. Our "group" says boarding tome 2-3 pm.

What time should we actually be there tomorrow?

This is the least amount of information, overall, I've ever been given for the cruise out of 5 cruise lines 😬.

11 minutes ago, Kailyn said:

I'm looking for correct boarding times for Athens, if anyone knows. On our booklet it has boarding from 1 to 4 pm, with a sail of 4:30, so that doesn't seem right. Our "group" says boarding tome 2-3 pm.

What time should we actually be there tomorrow?

This is the least amount of information, overall, I've ever been given for the cruise out of 5 cruise lines 😬.

I would show up around noon. 

• Like 3