When to purchase wine package

oldpharmguy

We are sailing on a 14 day (back to back ) cruise in November and plan to purchase a wine package. We will go from 3 star to 4 star Mariner at the end of 1st 7 day cruise. When should I purchase the package? Should I wait til we get aboard or purchase it now? How will my star rating affect the cost of the purchase. Thanks for your help. Bud & Marianne

If you have 2 separate booking numbers then I’d order 1 package during each cruise while you are on the ship, so you enjoy 50% off on the second cruise as a 4 star. Might want to ensure you have your Mariner status with cruises taken / points with you in case you have to show guest services desk for correct discount. Benefits listed below:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/mariner-society/documents/Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart_WorldWide.pdf

We are sailing on a 14 day (back to back ) cruise in November and plan to purchase a wine package. We will go from 3 star to 4 star Mariner at the end of 1st 7 day cruise. When should I purchase the package? Should I wait til we get aboard or purchase it now? How will my star rating affect the cost of the purchase. Thanks for your help. Bud & Marianne

I would wait until I got onboard for 2 reasons - first, sometimes when you order ahead of time you have to hassle to get you 25 or 50% discount (never been a problem for me if purchased onboard). Second, the wine stewards always seem to appreciate it when you purchase from them (I suspect they get something extra from your purchase).

Since you have two booking numbers, you might be able to get the 50% discount on the second week, but you likely will have to go to the front desk and ask them to move you to a 4 Star as it will not happen automatically (takes 1-2 weeks normally).

I would wait until I got onboard for 2 reasons - first, sometimes when you order ahead of time you have to hassle to get you 25 or 50% discount (never been a problem for me if purchased onboard). Second, the wine stewards always seem to appreciate it when you purchase from them (I suspect they get something extra from your purchase).

Since you have two booking numbers, you might be able to get the 50% discount on the second week, but you likely will have to go to the front desk and ask them to move you to a 4 Star as it will not happen automatically (takes 1-2 weeks normally).

Correct, just to add...if you only need sea days and bring your Mariner status # of days, they may well do it. (I've seen it done for other roll call members).

And, also a good idea to email the Mariner's society and assuming they respond favourably, bring that email.

In addition, you will NOT be able to use bonus days for spending. Your actual sea days must be enough to move you from 3 star to 4 star.

Just talked to Mariner Society. They told me the following: Even tho I have a single booking # for the 14 day cruise, it is a segmented cruise that I could have booked as two 7 day cruises. That being the case, they would up me to 4 star after 1st 7 days. Mariner Society will send me a letter that I'm to being to front desk that will authorize them to upgrade me.

Thanks to all who have responded to this question of mine and I would like to acknowledge Lisa Marie at Mariner Society for her help in resolving my problem. It made my day to speak to someone like Lisa Marie.

Bud & Marianne

Just talked to Mariner Society. They told me the following: Even tho I have a single booking # for the 14 day cruise, it is a segmented cruise that I could have booked as two 7 day cruises. That being the case, they would up me to 4 star after 1st 7 days. Mariner Society will send me a letter that I'm to being to front desk that will authorize them to upgrade me.

Thanks to all who have responded to this question of mine and I would like to acknowledge Lisa Marie at Mariner Society for her help in resolving my problem. It made my day to speak to someone like Lisa Marie.

Bud & Marianne

Good News, :)

Congratulations on (soon) moving up to Four Star. Have great cruise, s.