Alaska 2019 Yippppy

rp23g7

After 10 + yrs of cruising, and living in Seattle my whole life, and paying for Florida rental cars and hotels, we are finally taking a Alaska cruise, YAY no airfare or hotels.

Anyone got tips and favorite Alaska things to do? its the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise if that makes a difference.

That sounds great!! I was similar to you with paying for Florida travel for years (but not 10+). Finally booked an Alaska cruise for May 2019. One thing I have been told is to do the train ride in Skagway. Still researching everything but really looking forward to it! I've heard that Tracy Arm is fantastic. Ours will do Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Be sure to keep checking the price of your cruise, current (SnSail) and future (3 for free) promotions to see if you can get a better deal, more perks, better cabin, etc

even if you have a TA -do this yourself, then call them...;p

Congrats!! We cruised up to Alaska back on the old Sky Princess but then headed for warmer weather sailings for a number of years. We went back to Alaska again on the old Regal Princess (both ships no longer in the Princess fleet) and got hooked. Since then, we've sailed up in Alaska 9 more times and have another booked for the week after next. It is just such an amazing itinerary that we now book an Alaska cruise at least every other year.

Of all the cruises we've done, having a balcony in Alaska was the most valuable. We've been very lucky and not run into a lot of inclement weather (but yes, we've had some), so be sure to bring layered clothing with one waterproof layer. Also, don't forget your sunscreen. One sailing, I used an entire tube of sunblock and didn't have to put my heavy jacket on once.

For some ports, if you are going to be out in the woods with still water, be sure to take some Off bug repellent wipes. Believe it or not, those mosquitoes can be fierce.

In Tracy Arm, don't worry about finding the perfect vantage point, as the ship turns around slowly so everyone will get a chance to see all the beautiful scenery. Be sure to have your camera out and take lots of pictures, but not at the detriment of enjoying the views.

As you are leaving the fjord, there is some prime whale watching opportunities from the ship, so keep your eyes peeled. As much as I love Tracy Arm, if you go up the Endicott Arm instead, you will certainly not be disappointed ... both are spectacular. Dress warmly at the glacier if you are viewing it from one of the open decks. Once or twice, we had warm weather but the other times were pretty chilly.

In Juneau, I recommend seeing the Mendenhall Glacier with a trip in the visitor's center. The Salmon Hatchery is also pretty interesting. Don't forget to stop by for a beer at the end of your day at the Red Dog Saloon. It's a very entertaining place and a tradition of ours now. A trip out to the Alaskan Brewing Company if you really like beer will also be well worth your while.

In Ketchikan, you can wander around Creek Street and up the 'Married Man's Trail' to the hotel at the top where they have a little totem pole park. There is a gondola that takes you there and back if working and you are not up for the walk. The Lumberjack Show seems like it would be rather dorky but we, a group of adults, had a blast there. You can just buy tickets at the location ... no need to get them from the ship.

In Skagway, we recommend the sled dogs tour and for something on the more lackadaisical side, the Soapy Smith show (at the end of the road in Skagway) is rather entertaining as well. But, if the Whitepass Train is operating, that would be my recommendation. It picks you up right outside the ship. You can save a few bucks by going into town to purchase your tickets but then have to walk back towards the ship anyway so maybe not worth your time for a small savings. It isn't a cheap tour but if you get a clear day, it is well worth your while.

In Victoria, I love going to Beacon Hill Park. It is within walking distance from the ship (although a hardy walk) and is like a mini Butchart Gardens without the price tag. High tea at the Empress Hotel is fun but overpriced, IMO. Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, the Government buildings and the waterfront are all great options for wandering. Craigdarroch (sp?) Castle and the British Museum of Natural Science are also great options for a not so hefty pricetag.

I am just assuming these are some of your ports of call ... but if you do happen to also call at Icy Strait Point, this is where you will be guaranteed to see whales. There's no haggling on the price and it is a bit pricey but worth your while. This port also has a great bear watching tour at one of the nearby rivers. It's also a great place to hike, walk into Hoonah along the waterfront or poke around the museums right there at the port.

Whatever you do, have fun, just remember to spend some time outside and take in all the beautiful scenery. We usually don't do any tours that end up costing more than the entire cruise but there are certainly many of those available (fishing, helicopters up to the glacier, etc). And unlike the Caribbean, there are many tours that can be arranged right there in the ports without being subjected to the beach vendor mentality. There are kiosks set up and you walk up to them, they don't hound you. We've not taken even one where we've been in the least bit disappointed and we've saved some money over what the ship was charging. It's always nice to have those protections that are offered by being in the states. Maybe that is naive but I do feel safer than picking up some private tours in Mexico.

We took our 3rd Alaska cruise and first out of Seattle this summer and loved it (as did our 2 kids, spouses and toddler granddaughter). There is lots of good information on the Alaska Ports of Call Board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55.

Our favorite excursions have been:

Ketchikan - Mysty Fjords sea plane with a water landing and transfer to a boat for the ride back to Ketchikan. That was on our first Alaska cruise and arranged through Princess. It can be done privately too (which is what we would do now).

Juneau - whale watching with Harv and Marv - a private excursions for just our party of 6.

Skagway - any train ride with Chilkoot. We've used them twice.

Victoria, BS - Butchart Gardens with Princess.

Have a great cruise and I hope the weather is as good as our's was (first week in July sunny and very warm)!

Advice: Take the funds that you would have normally spent on rental cars in Florida, and apply them to rental cars in Alaska.

Make the drive to cross the border and DIY venture to the Yukon...It offers one the opportunity to stop at more vistas and to take in the view(s) outside -- at one's own leisure The drive to Emerald Lake/Carcross is easy. One can see the train's route across the way for much of the trip.

The same applies to Juneau(if not opting for whale watching or 'coptering). Make the drive to Mendenhall and if wanting, beyond up the 'end of the road' past Auke Lake. Stop by the Salmon Hatchery, or drive over to Douglas Isl. and check it out. If you fancy an easy to moderate hike...drive up from downtown to the end of Basin Rd. and take a stroll up Perseverance Trail along Gold Creek.

Go salmon fishing in Ketchikan.

Advice: Take the funds that you would have normally spent on rental cars in Florida, and apply them to rental cars in Alaska.

Make the drive to cross the border and DIY venture to the Yukon...It offers one the opportunity to stop at more vistas and to take in the view(s) outside -- at one's own leisure The drive to Emerald Lake/Carcross is easy. One can see the train's route across the way for much of the trip.

Highly second this recommendation. Have done 3 cruises to Alaska and the Drive up to the Yukon was one of my favorite excursions each time. First time my husband and I did a Jeep Expedition into the Mountains near Carcross. SO Beautiful. Rented a car the other two times. The scenery, especially the waterfalls, along that drive are sensational and if you have your own car, you can stop and bask in them as long as you like.

Enjoy your Cruise!

Sunglasses - needed in Alaska

Do whatever you want as you can easily jump onto another Alaska cruise, if you love the first.

Generally I would go with the Cruise Raiders suggestions for your first Alaska cruise. The “gondola” in Ketchikan is a funicular.

Skagway--Kroschel Animal Sanctuary tour. We've done 40 cruises on 4 different lines...and this ranks as one of the top 5 excursions we've done anywhere. It is a pain in the rear to get there--you take a bus to the ferry, a ferry to Haines, and then a bus to the sanctuary. But when you get there, it is unbelievable. All of the animals are rescues who couldn't be released into the wild. For instance, there is a 6 year old moose who was orphaned as an infant and bottle fed. She doesn't have the hunting or ferocity to make it on her own. The place is used for filming a lot of wildlife movies and scenes, and one of the people there does a lot of work with movies, whether made at their place or elsewhere. In fact, one of the things they did was to show us how to get a shot of "a bear charging at you." Of course, the cameras were on the opposite side of a barrier. Beyond that, I won't tell all the secrets. I fed a reindeer, kissed a moose, petted a raccoon, etc.

OK, on the one hand, I don't feel it is right to make pets out of wild animals. But, as noted, none of these animals would have survived in the wild. I had no problem with the ethics of the place.

Having done the train in Skagway.....skip the train. Do this excursion.

Juneau--whale watching/Mendenhall glacier privately was super. This time, we did the float plane to Taku lodge. It was a good excursion. We saw a bear sitting in a tree, later two bears in the yard outside the lodge, lots of plants, waterfalls, etc. at Taku. and the view of the glaciers from the air was worth seeing.

Ketchikan--this time we did another wildlife/forest thing. It was ok, but too much of the same. We saw a couple bears and birds including eagles. It was the first excursion, so was OK...but after bears at Taku and then animals at Skagway. I wouldn't choose to do animal based excursions in all 3 places.

We saw whales (orca) from the ship...but it wasn't nearly as good as a whale watching excursion.

Our previous cruise was from Seattle; this one was from Vancouver with Glacier bay. The scenery was better from Vancouver!

Do I need to pack shorts or swim wear? Thanks

First week in July this year was warm enough for swimming and sunbathing after our first day at sea (this was a round trip Seattle cruise). But we did the same week in 2007 and wore jackets the entire time.