Cheers to $20 max drink?

JaxsMama

I must have missed the local grocery in the ship...where is that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. Its like when people complain about how expensive movie theater treats and drinks are. That's how the theaters make money, how they stay in business. If you don't want to pay it, don't go to the theater. Watch TV at home or rent a movie. And when you sneak food into the move theater or alcohol onto a cruise ship, you're essentially stealing from each. They could have otherwise hosted a client paying for products and services as intended.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

All of them is the simple and obvious answer. But drinkers will disagree. You can buy one of those airplane size bottles of whiskey at the local liquor store for 0.99, but pour that over ice on ship and you are paying what...$8 plus tip? And what is one of those aluminum bottles of bud light beer on ship...$6.25 plus tip? Seems to me a 6-pack is about that price at the local grocery, so over $7 for one cheap beer... Yeah, where can I sign up for that bargain of the century?

And the cheers package..is what $52 per day plus 15%..or about $420 for a 7-day cruise. $420...are you kidding me? Think how many hours you have to work at your job to NET that much. And then most even tip the waiter even more to ensure prompt service. Yikes! If I was going to drink that much, I was just hang out on my back patio and drink until I passed out. After 6-7 drinks, do you really care where you are..on a ship, patio or in some smokey dive bar?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Luckily I am one that does not need to drink to enjoy myself, or make anything I am doing even more enjoyable, so I can easily refrain from such ridiculous prices in these types of situations I do drink on occasion. In fact, I will have a 22 oz draft tall-boy later today when we have our Fantasy Football draft. Of course, I will get there during happy hour prices and pay about $3 plus another $1 tip. Then they will comp me free soft drinks the rest of the night.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

For some of us the $50 a day PP isn't that big of a deal. I know for me the all inclusive experience is well worth the cost. I get it, some people don't make very much money so that definitely becomes an issue but the whole "I don't need to drink alcohol to have fun" is a cheap cop-out. Yes, the vast majority of us don't need alcohol to have fun but some people would get massive bills at the end of their cruise without cheers (seriously, the amount that some people drink is astonishing). So, I get it, you don't like paying the mark-up, I don't blame you but it seems like you really look down on people that do. Not everything in life is about the bottom dollar, sometimes you pay extra for the experience and there's nothing wrong with that

Can you be more specific? On what drinks were phased out on NCL? Which and how many? Seems to be a generalization without real specifics.

For us, Carnival is more expensive overall than NCL in every comparable cruise we've researched these past two years. Usually hundreds to a thousand dollars or more expensive comparing Carnival Vista or Horizon to Escape and Bliss. And that's after all the nickel and diming I hear about. True NCL may charge you $6.95 (when we sailed) for the whole cabin to have a hot room service breakfast, but I didn't even have that option on Carnival from what I could figure out.

That said, I now prefer the Carnival product. But generally, in my experience, NCL is now cheaper for us. They just use a different "fee" model than Carnival who charges more up front and then spreads the costs across all passengers who may or may not use certain products or services.

One other thing that dawned upon me recently in respect to all those commenting that "I wish I could purchase Cheers, but my spouse or partner doesn't really drink," have you considered booking two rooms? We are a family of four. In looking at future cruises on Horizon and Panorama, it appears as if booked a balcony and interior room across the hall, it would typically be about $200-$300 more than just booking a balcony. More space and if I put myself and a child in one room and my wife and a child in another room, she doesn't have to buy Cheers if I do.

No sense trying to rationalize, jimbo loves Carnival and despises NCL.

I've sailed Vista recently and going on Bliss in Jan. My cost for Bliss is less expensive.

Vista Balcony-Bliss Spa Balcony

Vista purchased Cheers and 1 Steakhouse-Bliss (Drinks and 3 Specialty Dining included)

Vista no trip insurance-Bliss trip insurance

Now if NCL nickel and dimes, what does Carnival do.

Just wish people would stop their hatred of particular lines. CHOOSE the one they like/prefer and go with it.

I've sailed Vista recently and going on Bliss in Jan. My cost for Bliss is less expensive.

Vista purchased Cheers and 1 Steakhouse-Bliss (Drinks and 3 Specialty Dining included)

Just wish people would stop their hatred of particular lines. CHOOSE the one they like/prefer and go with it.

Last I checked, this is still the Carnival Cruise Lines board. NCL, 20% service charge, CCL, 15%. NCL charges 3x (=/-) what Carnival does for bottle water. The list goes on, but this is the Carnival Board and no need to stoop to the level of other cruise lines.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

All of them is the simple and obvious answer. But drinkers will disagree. You can buy one of those airplane size bottles of whiskey at the local liquor store for 0.99, but pour that over ice on ship and you are paying what...$8 plus tip? And what is one of those aluminum bottles of bud light beer on ship...$6.25 plus tip? Seems to me a 6-pack is about that price at the local grocery, so over $7 for one cheap beer... Yeah, where can I sign up for that bargain of the century?

And the cheers package..is what $52 per day plus 15%..or about $420 for a 7-day cruise. $420...are you kidding me? Think how many hours you have to work at your job to NET that much. And then most even tip the waiter even more to ensure prompt service. Yikes! If I was going to drink that much, I was just hang out on my back patio and drink until I passed out. After 6-7 drinks, do you really care where you are..on a ship, patio or in some smokey dive bar?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Luckily I am one that does not need to drink to enjoy myself, or make anything I am doing even more enjoyable, so I can easily refrain from such ridiculous prices in these types of situations I do drink on occasion. In fact, I will have a 22 oz draft tall-boy later today when we have our Fantasy Football draft. Of course, I will get there during happy hour prices and pay about $3 plus another $1 tip. Then they will comp me free soft drinks the rest of the night.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You might not need to drink to enjoy yourself, but you do seem to need to pop into a thread about drinking and critique those that do.

Every time I've cruised I price similar cruises on NCL out of NOLA, and found Carnival to be a better value. This is primarily because we do not drink. When I choose from among the other perks that NCL offers

• FREE SHORE EXCURSIONS
  • FREE SPECIALTY DINING
  • FREE WIFI
  • FRIENDS & FAMILY SAIL FREE*

Carnival is the better value. I would love to try NCL but will not pay a higher price to subsidize the drinking of others.

Every time I've cruised I price similar cruises on NCL out of NOLA, and found Carnival to be a better value. This is primarily because we do not drink. When I choose from among the other perks that NCL offers

• FREE SHORE EXCURSIONS
  • FREE SPECIALTY DINING
  • FREE WIFI
  • FRIENDS & FAMILY SAIL FREE*

Carnival is the better value. I would love to try NCL but will not pay a higher price to subsidize the drinking of others.

If guarantees don't scare you you could always book one of those on NCL. They are called sail away rates and are cheaper since they don't include any perks.

There is usually a difference in price of about $200-$250 which goes to prove that you are paying for the drink package.

Bill

LOL, I do not despise NCL, I just think they are not nearly as good as you do. They mark up rooms and then entice you with freebies (nothing is free here)If you do not really want the drink package but think it "free" you are paying for everybody else's drinks. They really do nickel and dime at almost virtually every corner. How many "for pay" restaurants are on the Bliss? I know you say these are "optional" but the fact is that when these are in your face each and every day, cruisers buy them. We can go on, but we have done that before and do not want to drag everybody thru the wringer again.

If guarantees don't scare you you could always book one of those on NCL. They are called sail away rates and are cheaper since they don't include any perks.

There is usually a difference in price of about $200-$250 which goes to prove that you are paying for the drink package.

Bill

...even if you do not want it. ...and here they stick you in the rooms none wants.

Can you be more specific? On what drinks were phased out on NCL? Which and how many? Seems to be a generalization without real specifics.

For us, Carnival is more expensive overall than NCL in every comparable cruise we've researched these past two years. Usually hundreds to a thousand dollars or more expensive comparing Carnival Vista or Horizon to Escape and Bliss. And that's after all the nickel and diming I hear about. True NCL may charge you $6.95 (when we sailed) for the whole cabin to have a hot room service breakfast, but I didn't even have that option on Carnival from what I could figure out.

That said, I now prefer the Carnival product. But generally, in my experience, NCL is now cheaper for us. They just use a different "fee" model than Carnival who charges more up front and then spreads the costs across all passengers who may or may not use certain products or services.

One other thing that dawned upon me recently in respect to all those commenting that "I wish I could purchase Cheers, but my spouse or partner doesn't really drink," have you considered booking two rooms? We are a family of four. In looking at future cruises on Horizon and Panorama, it appears as if booked a balcony and interior room across the hall, it would typically be about $200-$300 more than just booking a balcony. More space and if I put myself and a child in one room and my wife and a child in another room, she doesn't have to buy Cheers if I do.

I did not say anything about drinks being phased out, the poster I quoted did. I was referencing the doom and gloom the poster referred to.

Last I checked, this is still the Carnival Cruise Lines board. NCL, 20% service charge, CCL, 15%. NCL charges 3x (=/-) what Carnival does for bottle water. The list goes on, but this is the Carnival Board and no need to stoop to the level of other cruise lines.

Don't stoop to the level of other cruise lines, however I can do the math, and bottom line is not what I perceive, but what I see/pay.

Troll somewhere else.

LOL, I do not despise NCL, I just think they are not nearly as good as you do. They mark up rooms and then entice you with freebies (nothing is free here)If you do not really want the drink package but think it "free" you are paying for everybody else's drinks. They really do nickel and dime at almost virtually every corner. How many "for pay" restaurants are on the Bliss? I know you say these are "optional" but the fact is that when these are in your face each and every day, cruisers buy them. We can go on, but we have done that before and do not want to drag everybody thru the wringer again.

Tell me then why when you go to Carnival website and you book a cabin on let's say deck 6 but you want Lido that will be xx amount of $ per person per day more.

Isn't a balcony cabin a balcony cabin. Nope it's about location and if you want a better location you PAY more.

That's not nickel and diming???

Everything has a price but to think NCL does it and Carnival doesn't isn't being realistic.

Don't stoop to the level of other cruise lines, however I can do the math, and bottom line is not what I perceive, but what I see/pay.

Troll somewhere else.

Your bottom line is not shared by everyone. Enjoy your nickle and dime line. I'll stick with Carnival for the best value.

Tell me then why when you go to Carnival website and you book a cabin on let's say deck 6 but you want Lido that will be xx amount of $ per person per day more.

Isn't a balcony cabin a balcony cabin. Nope it's about location and if you want a better location you PAY more.

That's not nickel and diming???

Everything has a price but to think NCL does it and Carnival doesn't isn't being realistic.

I did not say they were the only one that does it, I said they were King, and they are by a long shot.

In case anyone purchased before the change - Yes you will be grandfathered in. If you call the reps will tell you a memo was sent to them this week and they will make a note in your file. Also John Heald confirmed it to me on Facebook.

So....what can I order that's between $20-50!! Since you can't get doubles, buckets, multiples at once it's really not going to change much...

In case anyone purchased before the change - Yes you will be grandfathered in. If you call the reps will tell you a memo was sent to them this week and they will make a note in your file. Also John Heald confirmed it to me on Facebook.

So....what can I order that's between $20-50!! Since you can't get doubles, buckets, multiples at once it's really not going to change much...

Not a single drink is available between 20-50...this is first hand experience on the Horizon last week. Top included drink was Grey Goose VX martini at the Alchemy Bar, which was 20.00. If ordered neat, it was 17.00.

They said I'm grandfathered in, so I'm happy. Not that there are any drinks above $20.00. Maybe there will be by the time I cruise. :evilsmile:

You actually called Carnival to ask about something, that doesn't even exist? Of course they say you are grandfathered in. They could say whatever they want to say, when something does not exist. The only way a drink is over $20.00 is if you ordered a double, but a double is two drinks, so it still is covered, you just get two glasses.

Not a single drink is available between 20-50...this is first hand experience on the Horizon last week. Top included drink was Grey Goose VX martini at the Alchemy Bar, which was 20.00. If ordered neat, it was 17.00.

Thank you for this update. I discovered this martini last cruise and would have been disappointed to find it was over $20.

no way, I just priced it for my wife and I 2 days ago and it was still $50 per drink

This is showing for our cruise

CHEERS! INCLUDES:

• All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $20.00 or lower menu price
  • Sodas, Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages
  • Large format water bottles in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants
  • 25% discount off the menu price for any spirit or wine by the glass above $20.00
  • 25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25% discount off beverage seminars and classes

CHEERS! EXCLUDES:

• Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at gangway
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines and self-serve beer stations
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items

All you who are seeing this will find out the same thing I did when I booked my cruise promising 24/7 complimentary room service, then got onboard and found out that wasn't true.

There is a section in your cruise contract stating that Carnival can basically change anything about the cruise that they want - and you have no recourse.

Why do you think I haven't booked another cruise after my November one coming up (which was also booked promising 24/7 complimentary room service, by the way)?

If Carnival can change the rules while the ball is in play, I'll wait until a month or so before the cruise to book - if I book one at all. And I certainly won't pre-pay for anything. Everything is subject to change per the contract we all sign when we do online check in.

To me the fact that Carnival doesn't have any drinks selling for between $20-50 today is irrelevant to the discussion. They changed the rules while the ball was in play. That's not right.

All you who are seeing this will find out the same thing I did when I booked my cruise promising 24/7 complimentary room service, then got onboard and found out that wasn't true.

There is a section in your cruise contract stating that Carnival can basically change anything about the cruise that they want - and you have no recourse.

Why do you think I haven't booked another cruise after my November one coming up (which was also booked promising 24/7 complimentary room service, by the way)?

If Carnival can change the rules while the ball is in play, I'll wait until a month or so before the cruise to book - if I book one at all. And I certainly won't pre-pay for anything. Everything is subject to change per the contract we all sign when we do online check in.

To me the fact that Carnival doesn't have any drinks selling for between $20-50 today is irrelevant to the discussion. They changed the rules while the ball was in play. That's not right.

It is their ball, just like every other cruise line. You can take your dollars to others if it is that important....that is your ball and your rules.

It is their ball, just like every other cruise line. You can take your dollars to others if it is that important....that is your ball and your rules.

Yes you are absolutely right, I guess it was the room service thing that opened my eyes to it. I know complimentary evening room service is a small thing to many people, but it was something that I really looked forward to.

It's made me realize that it's not necessarily in my best interests to book a cruise a year or more in advance.

For some of us the $50 a day PP isn't that big of a deal. I know for me the all inclusive experience is well worth the cost. I get it, some people don't make very much money so that definitely becomes an issue but the whole "I don't need to drink alcohol to have fun" is a cheap cop-out. Yes, the vast majority of us don't need alcohol to have fun but some people would get massive bills at the end of their cruise without cheers (seriously, the amount that some people drink is astonishing). So, I get it, you don't like paying the mark-up, I don't blame you but it seems like you really look down on people that do. Not everything in life is about the bottom dollar, sometimes you pay extra for the experience and there's nothing wrong with that

for me & DH- we like cheers because then when we go to the comedy show or the bar or anywhere, we are more adventurous in trying out new drinks or things on the menu. normally wouldn't order certain drinks because i don't know if i would like them. so won't waste my $. but now we both of tried various drinks that were good and we discovered liquors and cocktails we like and many that we don't (but have always heard how great they are). so part of it is the ability to try something new without worry of consequences