Terrible Gas explosion on Little French Key

shout19661966

Sounds like the animals and employees are ok thank goodness. I don't like how they are talking about the permitting of the animals again though, I thought that had been settled? I so enjoyed Little French Key.

A fire partially destroyed a tourist center on the island of Roatán, in the Caribbean of Honduras, without causing casualties or injuries, the Central American Fire Department reported.

The fire occurred after 09.0 local time (15.00 GMT) and was controlled by firefighters an hour later, but part of the construction of the Little French Key resort was destroyed, Honduran Fire Department Capt. Wilmer told reporters. Warrior.

According to a preliminary investigation, the explosion of a gas tank in the resort kitchen could have caused the fire. Guerrero indicated that the tourists and employees of the complex, as well as the animals that were in a zoo located in the vicinity of the place, were evaluated by the firemen.

"The animals were loose and nervous about what was happening, several of the employees stayed to collaborate in the handling of the animals," he explained. For his part, the police commissioner Miguel Martínez, lamented that employees of the tourist complex prohibited the presence of the National Police.

"The police were forbidden by the employees of this tourist complex to enter the site and we occupied (enter for) to help the firefighters in their investigation of the origin of the incident," he told Martínez on the HRN radio in Tegucigalpa.

The tourist center does not have an operation permit, said Martinez, who said Honduran authorities are investigating how animals such as tigers entered the country.

"It is a key that has not had any permission to operate and throughout these years has been working without any supervision even though the mayor of Roatán has made an effort," said the police commissioner.

http://laestrella.com.pa/internacional/america/incendio-destruye-parcialmente-centro-turistico-isla-hondurena-roatan/24079908

read some articles today that it might have been arson not sure by who. here is a quote

“I will not speculate about matters I have no proof of, but will again state that the government there has shown time and time again that they do not have the best interest of the residents at heart. It is my hope that LFK will be rebuilt and better than ever despite the challenges that Moshe and his family face trying to run a profitable business in Roatan.

Seems the place might not be looked upon by the locals so favorably. Like i said in my op i have been there twice and both times found the place to be beautiful. Hope if it was arson and not by them that they rebuild and come back better for everyone. With no insurance I highly doubt this is arson for profit.

It's one part of the island, they will be reopening again soon. You will still be able to visit unless you were going VERY soon.

Wellll….I am sailing on Sunday 9/2, and yes - we have reservations at LFK. My group is debating on if we should still go or just lose out on the 20pp deposit we all paid. Our email to LFK said they will be open for business, just limiting how many people will be allowed in, so unless there is an existing reservation you can't just go.

We will probably make our decision next week when we get closer to port. I hate to spend money for a place that doesn't have the amenities I reserved. I feel bad for what happened, and I know tourist support is what will help get them back on their feet - but still not sure if we will go or not.

Wellll….I am sailing on Sunday 9/2, and yes - we have reservations at LFK. My group is debating on if we should still go or just lose out on the 20pp deposit we all paid. Our email to LFK said they will be open for business, just limiting how many people will be allowed in, so unless there is an existing reservation you can't just go.

We will probably make our decision next week when we get closer to port. I hate to spend money for a place that doesn't have the amenities I reserved. I feel bad for what happened, and I know tourist support is what will help get them back on their feet - but still not sure if we will go or not.

Were you planning on staying in the beach house overnight or something? What's the issue? Go, enjoy it. You'll have a fine time.

As a past guest, LFK sent me this email today:

We at Little French Key have been completely devastated.

After an engineered bombardment of false negative campaign against this little corner of Paradise, encouraged by the local authorities, it was subjected to an arson fire this Sunday morning, August 26, 2018.

Multiple locations, many structures have been burned and we are in the process of assessing the total damage.

1535456897.jpeg1535457268.jpeg

It is catastrophic, preliminary estimates over $3.0 million. No insurance funds available for what has been destroyed.

All of our animals except one Rabbit and two parrots have been gathered safe and we are in process of making temporary shelters and bringing in moveable enclosures to house them.

If you love Little French Key, now is the time to act, we seriously are in need of assistance. All you can do to help us will be much appreciated we really need it, the animals need it, the employees need it and LFK needs it.

Please visit this ******** page to help and share:

Any support is more than welcome and appreciated to our PayPal account:

Very Sad day for Roatán.

God bless you

LFK Family

I think it is a little odd to be soliciting funds, but I guess I don't know what I would do in this situation.... so sad all the way around.

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><
removing links

As a past guest' date=' LFK sent me this email today:

I think it is a little odd to be soliciting funds, but I guess I don't know what I would do in this situation.... so sad all the way around.[/quote']

They also have set up a Go Fund Me with a goal of $3 million :o

$5K has already been raised.