Advice needed, Southern Caribbean on Freedom or Eastern Caribbean on Oasis

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here from Ireland,

My better half and I are looking deciding between either Southern Caribbean on Freedom or Eastern Caribbean(Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico) on Oasis with a three night stay in Orlando in early November. We have previously been on a Mediterranean cruise on Freedom before and loved it. We prefer the itinerary for the southern Caribbean cruise but with the Eastern Cruise we get a different ship and a stay in Orlando.

What are the at sea days on the Oasis like, is it hectic? What are the days trips like, how busy are the islands?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Our choice would be the Southern Caribbean, which is a much more interesting itinerary for us. However, if this thip is all about the ship for you, then Oasis would be the better choice.

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here from Ireland,

My better half and I are looking deciding between either Southern Caribbean on Freedom or Eastern Caribbean(Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico) on Oasis with a three night stay in Orlando in early November. We have previously been on a Mediterranean cruise on Freedom before and loved it. We prefer the itinerary for the southern Caribbean cruise but with the Eastern Cruise we get a different ship and a stay in Orlando.

What are the at sea days on the Oasis like, is it hectic? What are the days trips like, how busy are the islands?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Jamaica and is on the Western Caribbean, if this was a choice between Eastern and Southern, I'd say go either way if you haven't been to either, but between Western and Southern, I'd take Southern every time. Freedom remains my favorite ship.

Sea Days on the Oasis class were always enjoyable.

We've always done the bigger ships (Oasis, Allure + Harmony) and the 'more common' itinerary route Eastern/ Western.

Don't get me wrong we have loved them and had an amazing time, however we are booked for our first Southern itinerary in March and after research couldn't be more excited and can't believe we haven't done one before!

Oasis is a wonderful ship with so much to do. On sea days it can get pretty busy around the pool and after big events but otherwise it never feels crazy busy.

Haiti is Royal's own private island so only Royal Ships dock there, usually not that busy.

Jamaica & Cozumel can vary, we've docked in Cozumel with 4 other ships before and didn't find it that bad.

Been on both Freedom and Oasis.

Have not done the Southern trip yet, booked for December, however based on the port reviews above, I'd go with the Freedom sailing.

Oasis certainly has a lot of "bells and whistles", but it's not a huge step down to sail Freedom! In fact, there were things I liked better about Freedom over Oasis!!!

We won't even disembark at Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel, Mexico anymore. It's not worth it.

If you don't care about the destinations, I'd choose Oasis over Freedom. If you care about the itinerary and already love Freedom, then choose the itinerary you love.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! Sounds like they have pretty much said it all here!;) My vote would be for the southern Caribbean on Freedom, mainly because those islands are so beautiful and the Freedom is a great ship!

When you choose the cruise you want, click on this link below to find your free on-board Meet & Mingle to get to know your fellow cruisers on the same ship and week as you!! Just click on the ship name and then find your specific cruising week to begin the chat!! Hope you have a great cruise!!:cool:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Edited by SilkySal
delete

Thanks everyone for the advice,

It's really appreciated We are leaning towards Southern,

@BillOH Sorry, you are correct I meant Western Caribbean, although I think we can go to the Eastern side a week later.

I would probably prefer to see the Oasis but the fact that there are only 3 stops I think makes it less appealing.

Thanks

For me, the perfect blend would be to have an Oasis class of ship do the southern Caribbean ports. I love the Oasis class ships for the speciality restaurants, the shows and the activities. I love the southern Caribbean destinations.

Since there are no Oasis class ships currently going to the southern Caribbean, I have opted to go on the Freedom of the Seas this December and on the Symphony of the Seas next December. That way I have two distinct experiences to look forward to.

Thanks everyone for the advice,

It's really appreciated We are leaning towards Southern,

@BillOH Sorry, you are correct I meant Western Caribbean, although I think we can go to the Eastern side a week later.

I would probably prefer to see the Oasis but the fact that there are only 3 stops I think makes it less appealing.

Thanks

That is understandable. Having done, both I would easily go on either. The Oasis class is pretty relaxing with Sea Days, and I've come home from 7 day 5 port Southern Caribbean cruises tired, but happy.

We have been on the Freedom, not the Oasis. We loved the Freedom. That said, I think spending a few days in Orlando would be a fun land break, especially if you are considering enjoying the parks. If you are going in the second half of November, there would likely be Christmas decorations up and these are usually quite lovely. Of course, if you would be in Orlando Thanksgiving weekend, that is another story and I would avoid that due to the crowds.