"In hull" balcony cabins on QM2?

Bollinge

We just got upgraded from an inside to an in hull balcony (B 4) for $99.00, they are running a special on special sailings.

Which would suggest that the in hull balconies don,t sell too well.

David

This year, enjoy balmy tropical breezes with a sojourn aboard the greatest liner ever built. Join QUEEN MARY 2 on a magnificent adventure — and experience the Caribbean in true Cunard fashion. Reserve your stateroom now, and take advantage of $99 upgrades^.

QUEEN MARY 2's 7-day Dreamer's Western Caribbean calls in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Montego Bay and Costa Maya, and her Southern Caribbean Liner visits St. Thomas, Barbados and St. Kitts. Either voyage will leave you with memories you'll cherish for a lifetime. And for just $99 you can upgrade^ from an oceanview to a balcony stateroom.

Pamper yourself and your family with Cunard's legendary amenities and service. Enjoy a relaxing massage in the Canyon Ranch SpaClub®, dine on succulent cuisine and choose your favorite varietal from the largest wine cellar afloat. And with $99 upgrades^, QM2's Caribbean sailings are especially enticing — and attainable.

Dreamer's Western Caribbean: 7 Days

Departure Date: December 9, 2006

$799*$898*$997*

$1,396*

$1,999*$2,999*spacer.gif

Southern Caribbean Liner: 7 Days

Departure Date: December 16, 2006

$799*$898*$997*

$1,396*

$1,999*$2,999*spacer.gifspacer.gifFF0000.gif

RESERVE NOW TO GET A $99 BALCONY UPGRADE

The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are among the quietest for cruising(at Disney too). Then Christmas and New years come which are among the most busy. Almost everyone runs specials these weeks.

Which sailing is that? They are running specials on in hull cabins for December Caribbean sailings for $929 according to another post here today

The Dec 16 had B4 in-hull balcony for $997 before tax BUT we received an email offering this coded promo. Our TA asked if 'public' could get this price and was told it was targeted promo by customer number. Another friend tried to extend this promo price to others in her party and was also told it was restricted to only them.

I think we got promo because we are infrequent non-repeat customers and they needed to 'make it worth our while' for us to act. So, looks like our first Cunard trip coming up on Dec. 16. (we are frequent Celebrity cruisers).

Yes, I managed to get a good deal myself on the "in hull" balconies on the Dec 2 saling to the Southern Caribbean. I think the deals are a combination of two things: 1) the sailings between the US Thanksgiving and Christmas is a slow season in the North American travel industry and 2) the glass balconies are likely more popular in the sunny Caribbean. So put the math together and the deals make a lot of sense. I originally booked back in January for the December trip and started out with an oceanview cabin. We then enquired two days later about an upgrade to a balcony and we were offered an incredible deal that I had to repeat because I thought I misheard. Needless to say we upgraded from C3 to B3 for very little.

If you noticed these short Caribbean trips are a one time thing for now. In 2007 I see the ship is moving to NYC to offer longer 10 day sailings to the Caribbean. Something tells me glass balconies out of NYC in December and January won't be as popular. But who knows. If the Queen Victoria can sell out an inaugral sailing in Northern Europe in December at high prices anything is possible. Us northern people are a hearty lot! Maybe they'll copy the idea of the famous Ice Hotel and have an Ice Cabin!

hSomething tells me glass balconies out of NYC in December and January won't be as popular. But who knows. If the Queen Victoria can sell out an inaugral sailing in Northern Europe in December at high prices anything is possible. Us northern people are a hearty lot! Maybe they'll copy the idea of the famous Ice Hotel and have an Ice Cabin!

Hey!

Speak for yourself, Bram! (Oh, I see you already did)!) <G>

Well, speaking as one (of many) who cruised out of New York on an Icy, Rainy, frigid January 3rd to Hot, Humid Panama this year, I would do it again in a heart beat- Hull, or glass! (We had obstructed view- glass with a lifeboat- or a portion of one, in front of our cabin)

What was marvelous was getting on board, and not having to worry about driving, snow days, getting to work late and dealing with the consequences, getting stuck or spinning out on ice and snow, and shoveling the driveway, climbing over plowdrifts in the icy parking lot at work (and this, next to the HANDICAPPED spaces! EEK! Guess where they choose to pile the snow- idiots!) for 12 days. Day 1 made you glad you had left all of this behind, Day two made you venture out in your shorts, tentatively. Day three found us in St Thomas.

The return brought us gradually back to reality, and not a shock of going from 90 degrees to 20 degrees. It was only the last day and a half that the chill was felt once again. (Well, except for the chill we got from fellow passengers when we showed up on formal night in faded and torn blue jeans and greasy, tattered, and graphics splashed T-shirt with hideous flipflops, AKA thongs- Oh! but slightly warmed by all the "low-class", American lazy "S"-word passengers who applauded our message of anti-snobbery and personal self-expression!<VBEG>) JUST KIDDING! HEY! Don't throw that drink at me! That's alcohol abuse, you know! <G>

Seriously, The idea of a winter cruise easing gradually back into "summer" then gradually (at least, less abruptly) back into dreaded winter, suits me just fine. If I don't have to deal with airline hassles and taking my boots and mukluks and snow suit off in the TSA line, and remembering to UN-pack my nail clippers, Swiss army knife and tweezers ("HALT THIS PLANE OR I'LL TWEEZE YOUR EYEBROWS!"), al,l three hours before boarding, and frantically yanking out underwear from one suitcase and stuffing into another to try to beat the fact that I have 52 pounds in one suitcase with five formal gowns, six pairs of heels, 27 pounds of jewelry, every bit of eye shadow I have ever owned, 7 perfumes (which I never wear) and 48 pairs of stockings (In case I get a run) not to mention the wrong kind of garter belt for the type of stockings I brought (Scantihose- they're really cool!) Oh, yeah- and then I forget a pair of long pants for that last day. (I wore the jeans I drove through an ice storm in to get there) Ithink I also packed about 30 pairs of socks for the 12 days- despite the fact that I wore sandals every single day except the last!!

Yep! In a heartbeat! Even a cold frozen, hibernating-for-the-winter one!

Karie,

Who hopes all you July 3rd cruisers have a marvelous time! Only a wake-up left and you're off! I had thought to stay in New York City an extra two days to see you off, but alas, I have to work tomorrow. :(

Karie. I hear you. As much as I picked on the idea of a cruise from the north in the winter I must admit I'd probably be one of those who do it. Can't get further north than Canada. Only I have a job that doesn't allow me to travel between January and the end of April and thus a winter cruise is almost an impossibility.

Karie. I hear you. As much as I picked on the idea of a cruise from the north in the winter I must admit I'd probably be one of those who do it. Can't get further north than Canada. Only I have a job that doesn't allow me to travel between January and the end of April and thus a winter cruise is almost an impossibility.

Oh pishposh Can't you have yoru clients faxx you all their W-2's ? (Or whatever the tax earnings forms are called in Ontario?)

I do understand. Wish you could Work from onboard... But then it wouldn't be a vacation, would it?

The owner of my travel agency takes a balcony stateroom and orders room service for all meals. Steps out onto the balcony for fresh air- To get away when writing another book! No disturbances, and as someone in the travel indstry as many years as he has been (Grew up down the street from the original Disney..LAND) Worked in airlines, helped write the software for one of the major res systems in the travel industry, Even had a travel show on - a single show, not a series- I won't say travel is boring to him! But he certainly does enough of it! He co-ran our agency Cuba tours (We had a licensef rom Treasury before the latest "changes" or tightening of the rules by the Bush Administration, He's been traveling back and forth to see his new son, he and his partner are adoptiing from Guatemala. But does a cheap cruise for the PRIVACY! <LOL>

Oh well. Each to his own, I suppose!

Karie, who could NEVER spend the whole week in her cabin, but still spends plenty of time there!

Last post is ALL correct, except our cabin is facing the C stairwell, so we get the "bing bong" sound from the lifts everytime they stop at deck 6. Still having a great time and will try for an upgrade after Rio.

I've posted a panoramic view of the "hull hole" balcony taken from deck chair height, you'll need Java enabled to view the image.

http://www.jackatsea.com/hull-hole-qm2/hullhole.html

As you will see, the space is very much enclosed, but not that bad.

Cheers

Jack

Thanks for the great picture...................now I know what a "sheltered" balcony really looks like.

Are the hull balcony windows open? I know this question was asked but I couldn't find a response. Thanks:)

Yes they are open, a picture window, sans glass.

"In hull" balconies, if you're cruising somewhere hot (and wanting a tan), not so good, if you're crossing (and want to get away from the wind and spray), just great.

(or in other words, if you want to use your balcony, decks 4 5 6 for a TA, decks 8 9 10 11 12 for a warm water cruise)

and thanks to everyone for the descriptions and photo; however, I have to choose between an in-hull and an obstructed view. The one photo of obst. view shows only a small portion of a lifeboat. Is this true for all obst. view? I appreciate the liner v. cruise ship but in the Carib. prefer the type of balcony I am used to on the Millenium and Princess ships. But I think I could tolerate the obst. view rather than a full frontal of a lifeboat. Any adivce, suggestions or opinions out there? Thanks!

What I mean is that I can tolerate an obst. view if only a portion of a lifeboat is there, but not a view that is virtually totally obstructed. Guess that's why they give us the chance to preview the post. Sorry.:)

Some are more obstructed than others if you look closely at the deck plans- I think the ones in the very front might have less obstruction and also, I believe 8049 is between the smaller lifeboat- We were in the in-hull but are trying obstructed view next time- Good luck

Checked the deck plans, Molly, and booked 8109--hope these plans are accurate as this appears to be one of the least obstructed-view cabins. Anyone have any experience with 8109 or 8110?

Can you smoke on the in-hull balcony? I'm thinking it would be perfect for a cigar!

We are going TA August 17th,2006.

-Sheby

Don't see why not, remember your neighbours (smoke and smell travel) but keep the door closed (remember those who come after you, I hate the smell of any form of smoking in a room, and I smoke on occasions) also, never, ever, EVER throw the stub over the side.

Enjoy your crossing, I'm on board the following month.

I wasn't sure if it is allowed. My wife will make sure the door to the room is closed as you does not always appreciate the smell of a good cigar. :)

An off topic question I'll go ahead and ask here is which side of the ship and where on deck is recommended when leaving NY to see the sights?

Thanks!

-Sheby

Thanks to Jackatsea for the great photo. With my pale complexion the sheltered balcony is perfect for me in any climate. Looks great for sitting out in the fresh air with a cup of tea and a book.

I just experienced the in hull balcony for a T/A crossing. (4115) My husband and I loved it. We had a great view, were shetered from the elements and it was very private.

We had two chairs, a small table and there was an ash tray on our table.

Sheby, we don't smoke but I think it would be an enjoyable place to smoke a cigar if you wanted.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

We tried out our first time with Cunard cruise on QM2 last October 05 on the B2B S'hampton/ NY /S'hampton trip and booked late for an inside so were very surprised to be allocated an inhull balcony 6300 (?)

This was right beside the children's play area so we thought it might be noisy...but there were no real problems..only a few children aboard.

The only downside was being pretty far down the line as far as cleaning went.... the room service only arrived there quite late every day so if you wanted to go have a lie down to cope better with the time loss /gain changes that happened most days, the room attendant hadn't been yet , so that plan became tricky.

Personally we thought for that type of cruise at that time of year, the more enclosed balcony scored more points as it was definitely more protected from the elements on the crossing ..... we like T/A cruises and heavy seas don't phase us too much as we have experienced them before, but that cabin was pretty ideal for that kind of trip. The balcony being more enclosed perhaps made the room a little darker but only marginally.

The beds especially were great and the pillows too.We think the cabins are well appointed compared to some others we have occupied. I think it was designated a grade B 5 cabin.

We did a b2b on QM2 last Sept/Oct with a cruise around the US and Canada inbetween. We had the same cabin throughout the full cruise on deck 5 (in hull balcony). For the trip we did this type of cabin is great. It offered us shelter from the breeze/wind on sunny days and we (my daughter and I) even did some sunbathing one day. It got very hot on the balcony whereas up on deck other passengers were being blown around!! I do have to say though if I were going around the caribbean then I would want a proper balcony. But for transatlantic crossings this type of cabin IMO would be preferable.

Elaine

Archived