Trip Insurance

bubblegummermom

I sailed for quite a few years (about 2002-2008) without trip insurance (without incident or accident)...

Very thankful for my Cruise Critic education!

Previously, I considered myself young and healthy... What could possibly happen that I'd require insurance?

A few years ago, I developed excruciating abdominal pain and sickness 2.5 weeks prior to my annual 7-day fall cruise.

Ended up in the ER...

Appendicitis.

Needed emergency appendectomy.

If my appendicitis had occurred in the middle of my sailing, I'm not sure emergency appendectomy could've been performed on the ship.

What then? Emergency evacuation? And to where?

My point is that even young, healthy people (or their travel companion) can come down with an unexpected life-threatening medical emergency.

Now, I go the extra step of booking only "primary" trip insurance coverage with "hospital of choice" medical evac.

We have 4 cruises booked in a years time so decided to get an annual travel insurance policy which covers any trip at least 100 miles away from home. Much cheaper than 4 individual policies for each cruise. Included trip cancellation and trip interruption along with the medical coverage.

We have 4 cruises booked in a years time so decided to get an annual travel insurance policy which covers any trip at least 100 miles away from home. Much cheaper than 4 individual policies for each cruise. Included trip cancellation and trip interruption along with the medical coverage.

full comprehensive policy including trip cancellation?

cause for me, it'll take 5 cruises to break even for medical evac only policy.

and 9 days if i wanted to add trip interruption! (but not cancellation)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56916731&postcount=44

full comprehensive policy including trip cancellation?

cause for me, it'll take 5 cruises to break even for medical evac only policy.

and 9 days if i wanted to add trip interruption! (but not cancellation)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56916731&postcount=44

I suspect you aren't comparing apples to apples. When I was looking at annual policies, I also came to the conclusion the break even was around 4 trips per year.

I increased the trip cancellation and trip interruption to $10,000 for the year. My cost is $950.00. This is what is covered with the Premier plan’s (family plan) $2000 coverage but I think it can increase up to $25,000.

I have two Havens and one YC booked. I’m not sure how they figure out the rate but I see on NCL it’s 8.6% of the cost of the fare that the insurance is based on. So at this percentage my Bliss Haven cruise would be around 1100.00 for me and that’s just one. We are both relatively healthy and don’t foresee any issues. We will be covered medically since we’re going to Alaska and New England/Canada. This is just peace of mind for me.

48b16558008e69e29b5cacf484586661.jpg

I increased the trip cancellation and trip interruption to $10,000 for the year. My cost is $950.00. This is what is covered with the Premier plan’s (family plan) $2000 coverage but I think it can increase up to $25,000.

I have two Havens and one YC booked. I’m not sure how they figure out the rate but I see on NCL it’s 8.6% of the cost of the fare that the insurance is based on. So at this percentage my Bliss Haven cruise would be around 1100.00 for me and that’s just one. We are both relatively healthy and don’t foresee any issues. We will be covered medically since we’re going to Alaska and New England/Canada. This is just peace of mind for me.

48b16558008e69e29b5cacf484586661.jpg

Could you share just which policy/insurance company this is?

GC

Last year my mother in law almost died in what was supposed to be a routine surgery. Our cruise was planned a couple weeks after her first surgery, she's had 7 since then and she's not done. We had to cancel our cruise and would've lost over $3000 without travel insurance so I highly recommend getting it.

You dont have to get travel insurance through NCL either, lots of other companies offer travel insurance. I prefer to work with USAA so I usually go through them.

Really? I'm a USAA member will have to check them/pricing

Allian? Not sure if I can say on here. Last letter of the alphabet[emoji6].

Why the coyness?

There is no prohibition about posting the name of the insurer... or type of luggage recommended, or a restaurant in some location, or an airline recommendation.

But thanks for the info.

GC

Why the coyness?

There is no prohibition about posting the name of the insurer... or type of luggage recommended, or a restaurant in some location, or an airline recommendation.

But thanks for the info.

GC

Ok, I’m fairly new to CC and read no recommendations. Sorry, I must have misunderstood. Allianz insurance annual premier plan which is the family plan that covers all family members traveling with you as long as they live in same house as insured.

Ok, I’m fairly new to CC and read no recommendations. Sorry, I must have misunderstood. Allianz insurance annual premier plan which is the family plan that covers all family members traveling with you as long as they live in same house as insured.

Thanks.

We are starting to explore whether there are other/better policies for our purposes.

Now that DH hit another birthday, the costs are really increasing, plus we are taking more trips, *plus* we are taking more expensive trips... so the insurance costs are really getting high.

OTOH, we've had several claims, including two large ones, so until recently, we were actually "ahead" (but we'd rather *not* be "ahead" at any time, when insurance is involved!).

Perhaps you are thinking of the restriction against naming travel agents here?

That's an unfortunate restriction, but from before my time here. (We are just a few months ahead of you ;))

As I understand it, there was too much soliciting business from travel agents posting here.

Also, there is not supposed to be any "advertising" here (particularly mentioned about the "signature" area of each post).

[And I hope that *I* got the above correct!]

GC

Thanks.

We are starting to explore whether there are other/better policies for our purposes.

Now that DH hit another birthday, the costs are really increasing, plus we are taking more trips, *plus* we are taking more expensive trips... so the insurance costs are really getting high.

OTOH, we've had several claims, including two large ones, so until recently, we were actually "ahead" (but we'd rather *not* be "ahead" at any time, when insurance is involved!).

Perhaps you are thinking of the restriction against naming travel agents here?

That's an unfortunate restriction, but from before my time here. (We are just a few months ahead of you ;))

As I understand it, there was too much soliciting business from travel agents posting here.

Also, there is not supposed to be any "advertising" here (particularly mentioned about the "signature" area of each post).

[And I hope that *I* got the above correct!]

GC

If you go with Allianz I used my age for main policy holder as I am younger than DH and it’s a family policy. I called Allianz and the agent was very helpful in explaining policy coverage to me.

This covers all trips for a full year so I figured it’ll be a better choice for us especially that I don’t plan on using it.

I joined in 2013 but didn’t post until late last year for Getaway. That was our first roll call and we enjoyed meeting everyone so now I am more involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I cruise 2-3 times a year. We always book trip insurance through our CruiseOne agent. The plan we had on on Bermuda cruise in July was Leisure Care Classic. It covers trip interruption, medical, and medical evacuation if necessary. The premium for the two of us was $300 on a $4200 cruise. You can reach Leisure Care at 888-722-2183. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums