Getaway internet

LeesaB

Tried to find this information, but I'm getting blanks or conflicting information (old? different ships? who knows?).

Norwegian Getaway. According to NCL's website, it has in-stateroom internet access via wireless connectivity or via ethernet. So first question is - do Getaway staterooms have ethernet access in them? You can read the website as saying you have both options to utilize or you can read it as "these ships have one of these access options, but we're not telling you which".

Second question is really only relevant if there's ethernet connectivity. IF there's ethernet in the room, would it be possible to either use a router to broadcast wifi to the room or turn the connected computer into a wireless hotspot to the same effect? Basically, do the ships have some sort of magical detection system that lets them know that we're connecting two devices to the internet at once?

I ask because DH must remain fairly connected to his business (hey, he'll still travel with me as long as he can keep the business running, so I'll take what I can get) but sometimes I like to get online as well - facebook mumbo jumbo, internet-enhanced app games. You know, the kind of brain-rotting stuff that the masses love nowadays.

Add that to my own limited experience and what I've seen posted by many others in that service can be somewhat spotty on the ship (hey, it's a metal ship, I get it) and I can see why connecting via ethernet in your own stateroom would be a huge plus.

TIA

I can tell you that on my two trips on Getaway I have not noticed an Ethernet connection. Even if it exists it could be difficult to set up a router in a cabin, because of the necessity of logging into the NCL system. I will tell you that the wi-fi connection seems to be very stable, and if almost as fast as at home for typical web surfing, etc. I'm not sure about streaming because I don't stream many things.

Tried to find this information, but I'm getting blanks or conflicting information (old? different ships? who knows?).

Norwegian Getaway. According to NCL's website, it has in-stateroom internet access via wireless connectivity or via ethernet. So first question is - do Getaway staterooms have ethernet access in them? You can read the website as saying you have both options to utilize or you can read it as "these ships have one of these access options, but we're not telling you which".

Second question is really only relevant if there's ethernet connectivity. IF there's ethernet in the room, would it be possible to either use a router to broadcast wifi to the room or turn the connected computer into a wireless hotspot to the same effect? Basically, do the ships have some sort of magical detection system that lets them know that we're connecting two devices to the internet at once?

I ask because DH must remain fairly connected to his business (hey, he'll still travel with me as long as he can keep the business running, so I'll take what I can get) but sometimes I like to get online as well - facebook mumbo jumbo, internet-enhanced app games. You know, the kind of brain-rotting stuff that the masses love nowadays.

Add that to my own limited experience and what I've seen posted by many others in that service can be somewhat spotty on the ship (hey, it's a metal ship, I get it) and I can see why connecting via ethernet in your own stateroom would be a huge plus.

TIA

Here's the wifi information for the Getaway https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56781287&postcount=105

It is all wifi. No Ethernet cables. We have always had decent reception in our room on all of our cruises. And, having been on the Getaway a week ago, there is good coverage in public areas. Can you find a dead spot, probably.

For the wifi service, you need to log on/log off to the service. If your router has a web interface that you can interactively navigate screens, maybe you can route. But you are on satellite internet with bandwith shared by a few thousand other people. In the same thread above, you will find a couple of different speed tests on the wifi. It is better to log on/off one device at a time to the same account.

TIA

I have one of those husbands too! Have not been on getaway yet but going in November. As for breakaway and escape Internet is great at times and at other times non existent you are in the middle of the ocean and sometimes there is just very little or no signal at all. Good luck my husband usually has one freakout a trip due to internet issues🤷🏻

this trip coming up is a working one for my fiance... wasnt originally supposed to be but stuff came up at work. but its better than him having to cancel or us eating the fare! and he can charge the $175 internet fee to work (which we can obviously share). kick butt.

Trying to recall, but can you have more than one computer, iPad, iPhone, Droid device, Droid phone, etc logged in to the same wifi plan? Or, do you have to buy a separate plan for each device logged in?

You have one account. One device can be logged on at a time. When we sail, we share the 1 account between 4 phones and 2 iPads (and there are only two of us in the cabin) :).

You have one account. One device can be logged on at a time. When we sail, we share the 1 account between 4 phones and 2 iPads (and there are only two of us in the cabin) :).

Thanks. Was wondering about that.

I "try" not to bring work with me on a cruise. Sometimes I have to, though.

If I'm doing emails or sending power points/excel, etc...that means I can't have my phone logged on at the same time, then.